09-28-2016 02:00 PM
36 12
tools
    well ive never had issues with my s7 edge but even if i did the display leaked so i got a new one lol
    09-25-2016 11:48 PM
    It's entirely just based on shorter, shallow chargers rather than doing deep discharges followed by a long charge. The entire practice is to keep the device between 40% and 80% as much as possible and that if you ever have to choose between going below 20% or charging to 100%, even if it means staying at 100% longer than necessary, that you should go up rather than down. Part of this practice takes into account the behaviors of fast charging technology, which charges faster at lower levels than it does at higher levels. So between 0% and X%, it's at A power, Between X% and Y% it's at B power and between Y% and 100% it's at C power, where A > B > C. So the most ideal situation would be to have as much C time as possible, but since that's unrealistic as it's usually barely using your device at all, they then switch and say try to keep your charging rates to the B area as much as possible by avoiding deep discharges.
    This is absolutely what I have started to employ. It may seem inconvenient but I'd like to have this phone for a couple of years. While the battery will last that long, the question is how good will it be during that time if I have taken it to extremes on a daily basis. I have disabled fast-charging in the battery settings to minimize the hear generated while charging. I have found that the difference in how fast it charges is not as much as I initially expected. I try to stick with this 40-80 rule but I am not panicking if it goes to 83% or 35%. I also try my best to use my phone while off the charger...once again, to minimize the heat generated.
    09-26-2016 06:31 AM
    If you mean in regards to a person moving on to another device, agreed. The battery though will choke before the hardware does. This is why OEs are moving to sealed batteries, since if you can replace it you will keep it longer. Still a LOT of Note 3 and 4s active.

OE's and carriers/retailers want consumers to turn devices every two years (as an aggregate). This drives the biggest margin products: accessorie$ and new warrantie$

A key reason LG is sticking with replaceable batteries is they get that chunk/niche of customers wanting the feature. Free markets FTW!

Of course, with LG's power sucking displays (V20 included), the replaceable battery is handy to needed.
    Yep. I had an extra battery for my V10. I loved the phone but the battery life was awful.
    09-26-2016 06:35 AM
    Yep
    Actually, nope. Charging habits are crucial to maintaining longevity of the battery. As others have said, if you plan to upgrade in 2 yrs, it doesn't really matter. But if you want to keep it longer, these are the things to keep in mind.

As some have said, avoid both fast charging and wireless charging. Both generate additional heat which quickly degrades the battery.

Don't leave the phone in a glove box or a hot car or in direct sunlight where the battery will get hot.

Don't leave on overnight charging. A battery at constant full charge stresses the battery and again, degrades it quickly.

Don't always charge to 100%. The last few percent charge puts a lot of stress on the battery and takes a lot of energy. Charge 90 to 95% instead.

Charge very regularly. Top up frequently. Try not to let the battery fall below 50%. Even better, charge from 70%. The more frequent small charges, the better.

If you want your battery to maintain good charge for more than 2 years, This is how to do it.
    09-26-2016 07:10 AM
    Charge very regularly. Top up frequently. Try not to let the battery fall below 50%. Even better, charge from 70%. The more frequent small charges, the better.
    I may disagree a little here, as storage charges are typically less than 75%. Of you're spending more time above 75% than below, you could be doing damage. Maybe not as much as 100% all the time, but more than normal.

This also brings up another issue: wear on the port. The more you plug and unplug from the port, the quicker it'll wear out. I know this is an issue with micro-USB ports and cables because the plug "teeth" would loosen up. I know USB-C doesn't have those teeth, so the cable could be fine longer. Not sure if the ports are more robust, though. Taking this into account, it's a balancing act for those that charge often (either frequent shallow charging or full charging due to heavy use).
    soulsmilen likes this.
    09-26-2016 09:06 AM
    I may disagree a little here, as storage charges are typically less than 75%. Of you're spending more time above 75% than below, you could be doing damage. Maybe not as much as 100% all the time, but more than normal.

This also brings up another issue: wear on the port. The more you plug and unplug from the port, the quicker it'll wear out. I know this is an issue with micro-USB ports and cables because the plug "teeth" would loosen up. I know USB-C doesn't have those teeth, so the cable could be fine longer. Not sure if the ports are more robust, though. Taking this into account, it's a balancing act for those that charge often (either frequent shallow charging or full charging due to heavy use).
    I can't speak for the wearing out of a charging port. I can't imagine this would be an issue, but surely a battery is likely to degrade before the port.

But virtually every website about lithium ion batteries says the same thing. That the longer time charged in, the more heat and stress on the battery. Therefore the shortest time on charge is best. 10 very small charges are far better than 2 long charges.

If you wanted your original battery to perform well in 5 yrs time, you would charge religiously from 80 to 95%. But of course that is not always practical.
    09-26-2016 09:19 AM
    This is the first I've read about charging causing heat and stress damage. Lithium batteries can handle a 1C charge no problem (basically 1mA charge per 1mAh capacity rating), which phones don't even approach when charging. They also don't heat up to levels that risk damage either. The phone will start throttling performance and the charge rate if the temps start climbing. This shouldn't be an issue unless in high ambient temp areas.
    09-26-2016 10:09 AM
    There was something I read just as the initial recall was getting going that Samsung changed something with the Note 7 battery vs the Galaxy S line. It had to do with having a longer life span as the phone ages. Not a metric for better screen on time/standby, but a higher anticipated life cycle in charge/discharge.
    Of course, cannot find a link as anything search related including the Note 7 brings up all of the media drama.

Did anyone else see what I am mentioning?
    09-26-2016 10:43 AM
    Hmmmm...
    09-27-2016 12:39 AM
    Each time I see the title of this thread, I envision a Note 7 with a Marine drill instructor cover(hat) on yelling to another Note 7 on the ground: Mountain climb, recruit! Don't stop until there is a pool of sweat under you!!
    Aquila likes this.
    09-27-2016 08:32 AM
    Guess i will charge whenever
    09-28-2016 02:00 PM
36 12