Note 7 - Battery Life (Replacement Devices)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettyn100

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Battery Life has been phenomenal with the new Replacement Note 7 's

Did a for and clean install without smartswitch and it seems to be doing better. I've been on the phone for 30 minutes straight and it's only dropped 4 percent. Better than before I think.

mynameisnick4

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site

I'm not impressed with the battery life at all. Today my phone has dropped 16% in 2 hours with next to no usage. Cell standby and Android System are the top two in the usage list.

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site

Settings> Device Maintenance> Battery> App Power Monitor

Thanks for the tips. I improved about an hr in SOT. Got it to 6hrs and 27 mins. I left display at the default settings so that's max HD whatever they call it and adaptive and auto brightness and still got over 6hrs. So I'm pretty happy. I probably could stretch that out if I put display to basic and turn off video enhancer but I'm not doing that.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the tips. I improved about an hr in SOT. Got it to 6hrs and 27 mins. I left display at the default settings so that's max HD whatever they call it and adaptive and auto brightness and still got over 6hrs. So I'm pretty happy. I probably could stretch that out if I put display to basic and turn off video enhancer but I'm not doing that.
That's why I will never get great battery life. I'm not going to buy a Ferrari then never go over 2k rpm to save fuel.

I want my widgets updating and 4 email accounts syncing along with social media and google tips and bluetooth and wifi and the highest res possible AND a big enough battery to handle it all. Yaaahooo

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

That's why I will never get great battery life. I'm not going to buy a Ferrari then never go over 2k rpm to save fuel.

I want my widgets updating and 4 email accounts syncing along with social media and google tips and bluetooth and wifi and the highest res possible AND a big enough battery to handle it all. Yaaahooo

I don't believe in handicapping a device to get a better battery either. Curious what tweaks you believe make this Ferrari of a device crippled?

I do tweak my device as mentioned in post 94 of this thread and have phenomenal battery. Nothing I do brings down the quality of the device and it's use. I only have 2 email accounts though. Not sure what Google tips is.

I guess I could get even better battery life if I dropped the resolution but I haven't seen the need for that. I just change it from adaptive to basic because I like how it looks better since it seems a bit more natural and less saturated.

Last edited:

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site

OK FOLKS - WHICH ONE IS IT!

A whole thread of "replacement battery is great" and another whole thread of "replacement battery sucks" - it can't be that divided. What gives?

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

It's funny how there's threads saying "ooh my battery is so great and it farts rainbows out of the headset jack now!!" AND threads about "My new phone battery is sheer crap!!" on several forum sites.

My battery life is definitely less than before, but I'm not going through the hassle of doing a reset AGAIN. I've had to set up my phone too damn many times the last 4 weeks because of all this nonsense. If it gets to the point where it becomes a problem I'll either give in and FDR or JoD into another device.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

A whole thread of "replacement battery is great" and another whole thread of "replacement battery sucks" - it can't be that divided. What gives?

Ha you beat me by one minute!

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

I think a lot of it has to do with the user knowing how to tweak a device without hindering it's use (I understand some people want to turn it on and want it to be great out of the box but that's just not going to happen with Samsung devices. Apple is your best bet if that's what you want).

I would say there may be some variable in build qualities too though I think that would be less so than the variable in usage patterns.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

I think a lot of it has to do with the user knowing how to tweak a device without hindering it's use (I understand some people want to turn it on and want it to be great out of the box but that's just not going to happen with Samsung devices. Apple is your best bet if that's what you want).

I would say there may be some variable in build qualities too though I think that would be less so than the variable in usage patterns.

I see your point, but by that same logic would they have not had a similar experience on the original device?

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

I see your point, but by that same logic would they have not had a similar experience on the original device?
Yeah I see that too that's why I think there is some hardware variable where some are better than others. There could be many reasons for the variables but one thing I noticed from reading threads is that some people received replacements that were likely from the original batch but simply hadn't left Samsung facilities when the recall was issued so they were likely verified by Samsung to not have issues and simply shipped as safe while others received newly manufactured devices that have a v2 on the stickers on the box. I'm thinking maybe those of us who got the v2 devices got the better phones and those who didn't are the ones that may have been stuck with an inferior manufacturing process and as a result inferior batter life. Just a guess.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site

My battery life has been great no issues. The only thing I noticed is that with my Samsung original s view case when I close cover and reopen it I am not prompted for fingerprint even if phone has not been in use so i don't know what changed ? Thoughts? My only concern is in purse if cover opens then anything on mt screen will be pressed as it is not locked by fingerprint.

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site

Only thing I did was disable bloat. My display is on the highest setting.. I did disable my email sync because it's just junk email and i was just getting too many notifications... I've yet to find a must have widget. My WiFi and Bluetooth are enabled. Nothing on my phone is gimped

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site

No sync or widgets is gimped

If you say so. Email is an outdated concept.. Nobody is emailing me... Its all junk mail from when I signed up for something. And if I found a widget I liked, I'd use it. Don't need a weather or time widget or date widget.. All those are duplicating information I already have on my phone.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

If you say so. Email is an outdated concept.. Nobody is emailing me... Its all junk mail from when I signed up for something. And if I found a widget I liked, I'd use it. Don't need a weather or time widget or date widget.. All those are duplicating information I already have on my phone.

Agreed. I use text and messaging apps now.

Bertolus

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site

That's what drove me away from Android: the constant worry about battery life. It's not even consistent on the same device. One day battery can last fine, the next day some stupid app drains the battery in 5 hours down to zero. On iPhone battery life is 100% consistent every day. No worries!

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I think the same could have been said before the recall. Everyone uses their phones different. I can get 6 hours sot some days and other days when I'm really busy at work with a lot of phone calls I'll get 4 or 4.5 hours. I think the battery if pretty solid for an android phone. I don't think it's much worse then the iPhone 7 plus I've been trying out too.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

No sync or widgets is gimped
I use Zooper Widgets on my home screen. 4 of them to be exact. Love them because they are so customizable. I also sync 2 email addresses. Still great battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.