10-04-2016 10:45 AM
36 12
tools
    I just had this thought as I read this thread..........shouldn't Samsung consider dropping the "Galaxy" moniker? I mean, I know a lot of people are familiar with the name, but they were with "Droid" too, and that has largely been dropped.
    09-30-2016 03:01 PM
    I just had this thought as I read this thread..........shouldn't Samsung consider dropping the "Galaxy" moniker? I mean, I know a lot of people are familiar with the name, but they were with "Droid" too, and that has largely been dropped.
    Galaxy is a huge brand. Worth Billions. To many people Galaxy and Android are synonyms.

Droid, OTOH, is specific to Verizon and Motorola.
    09-30-2016 05:26 PM
    Just rode southwest and they told everyone with a galaxy 7 note Samsung to turn off and leave off....totally garbled the name, but they are calling it out....
    09-30-2016 06:42 PM
    Galaxy is a huge brand. Worth Billions. To many people Galaxy and Android are synonyms.

Droid, OTOH, is specific to Verizon and Motorola.
    I know that Droid was specific to Verizon and Motorola. However, 99% of the population doesn't know that, and to this day they refer to Android as a whole as: "Droid". Yet, that has largely been dropped as well. I imagine "Nexus" was a pretty big brand too. Not the size of "Galaxy" because Samsung sells FAR more devices, but still a large brand in the cell phone enthusiast industry and Google is dropping that. I just think Samsung S7 edge and Samsung Note 7 sound better than having "Galaxy" attached to everything.
    10-03-2016 09:20 AM
    Just rode southwest and they told everyone with a galaxy 7 note Samsung to turn off and leave off....totally garbled the name, but they are calling it out....
    I'm flying Southwest later today. Their app is showing a notice saying Note 7s need to have the green battery. So we'll see. I also travel with a work provided iPhone 6, so I may use it to board to avoid any hassels.
    Attached Thumbnails Anyone travel with new note 7 yet?-384.jpg  
    skatergirl likes this.
    10-03-2016 09:40 AM
    I was just on a Southwest flight. They did the regular announcement of putting your phone into airplane mode. And then an announcement that all Galaxy phones must be powered off for the duration of the flight.
    And then the announcement said, "This flight brought to you by Apple."
    10-03-2016 12:12 PM
    That was that same with my experience a week ago. They guy just said "galaxy phone". Never mentioned Samsung or Note.
    10-03-2016 01:10 PM
    That was that same with my experience a week ago. They guy just said "galaxy phone". Never mentioned Samsung or Note.
    And now I am flying American airlines, and they flat out said do NOT use the note 7 on the flight or leave in checked luggage. They were very emphatic about it, but at least they got the name right!
    10-03-2016 01:45 PM
    To follow up on my Southwest flights today. It was very mixed. While at my gate the guy working the flight before mine announced all Note 7s had to be turned off.

The guy working my flight got it right, saying if it had the green battery it was okay to use. Flight crew was the same.

My flight stopped in Dallas and Changed crews. The new crew made an announcement that if "you have a Note 7, any Note 7, well just don't. Turn it off for the duration of the flight"

I started to say something to him about it, but decided it wasn't worth it.

I'm a Southwest shareholder and frequent flier, so I will probably send an email to them about it.
    skatergirl likes this.
    10-03-2016 09:24 PM
    Hopefully this all gets straightened out soon. Sounds like Southwest is on the right track, but all airlines need to get on the right track and employees all on the same page.
    10-04-2016 08:06 AM
    I flew American over the weekend with zero issues. They announced that Note 7's need to be powered down on 1 out of 4 of my flights.
    10-04-2016 10:45 AM
36 12