What Will It Take For The Ban Of The Note 7 To Be Lifted?

granblanco

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Air France last week - "Please note that use of Samsung Note 7 is forbidden on this flight. The phone must be powered down, cannot be in airplane mode, and must be stored in checked luggage". That's not an advisory. That's a ban on use. Air Canada is the same way as are several other airlines that I know. By the time all of this is said and done, the Note 7 will be the biggest flagship failure that Samsung has ever released. It's really too bad though because this was the first time that they genuinely surpassed the iPhone in design, feature set, and everything else and then this. On the flip-side, Note 8 is going to be bulletproof.

Should have mentioned that I was referring specifically to the US. Your ROW mileage may vary.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
This is no doubt that that Samsung is working with the airlines to remove the ban. The hurdle they face is that a lot a people still haven't turned in their defective phones.
According to the Samsung representative in Canada, Samsung has no influence on the decisions made by airlines. It is up to them to decide when and if to remove the ban.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
How in the world do they know the model of your phone? Are people raising their hand to say "hey, I have a Note7!"

Even owning a N7, I might have a little challenge telling a N7 from an S7E on casual glance walking down a plane aisle. And if I asked you if your phone was a N7 and you told me it was an S7E I'd probably believe you, even more so if it has a case on it

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I flew all weekwnd with my replacement. Never announced for Southwest but every time for American. I didn't power it down and used it on the flight.....not one flight attendant cared. They are wayyyy to busy to be bothered with that BS

As long as you don't bring being there attention you'll be fine

And so long as it doesn't explode,which besides potentially injuring or killing you and others,could open you to civil penalties and criminal prosecution.

fargas0822

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
First off you people are biggest bunch of worry warts ever. Second I have the replacement phone....said that in my post....might want to learn how to read these posts.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I was happy to see note 7 owners while traveling to and from L.A. the 24-29. I was on united and no one said a thing

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
According to the Samsung representative in Canada, Samsung has no influence on the decisions made by airlines. It is up to them to decide when and if to remove the ban.

Obviously, Samsung can't force airlines to change the policy. The point is that Samsung is doing what it can to provide them information and persuade them to update their policy. Also, I don't know who the "Samsung representative" was, but not everyone the company would be privy to high level discussions between Samsung and the airlines.