Note 7 branded Verizon vs T mobile

pinhunter27

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I was an original Verizon note 7 owner. I found out the Verizon had took it upon themselves to alter some settings on my paid in full Verizon model. Was not happy about this. So when the recall happened I decided I would switch carriers. After being a Verizon Customer for 12 years I was nervous about the switch. All I can say is wow the T mobile note 7 is much nicer than the Verizon version. Very little bloat and all of the settings are available.. I understand peoples hesitation concerning coverage. Fortunately my area is solid with all carriers. Despite me living in a small market. If T mobile is good in your area consider making the switch but don't try taking an unlocked Verizon phone to T mobile... doesn't work well.

s0nic_201

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well pretty soon T-Mobile will soon roam on USCC and most of T-Mobile deals are unlimited roaming. With that in mind T-Mobile might be able to serve those area pretty soon (Through a roaming deal with USCC).

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Anybody know how AT&T N7 is compared the they the others? We are switching from Verizon to AT&T since my fiance gets a work discount. I have a LG V10 now but am probably switching to a N7!

pinhunter27

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Coral blue same as my Verizon one.. I tried the one plus plan but I'm going to save the 25 dollars and go with the one plan. I'm sure if I casted a lot of video the "hd pass everyday" would be worth it but i usually watch on the note 7 display.

I would have never left Verizon had they not gimped the note 7.. i know it's not a big deal but when you are paying full price for a phone the carriers should not be removing/ altering settings and bloat should be minimal.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Anybody know how AT&T N7 is compared the they the others? We are switching from Verizon to AT&T since my fiance gets a work discount. I have a LG V10 now but am probably switching to a N7!

AT&T is the 2nd worst offender after Verizon. It will be an improvement, and their network is easily as good. But T-Mobile or better than both by a long margin in terms of plans, international roaming, customer service, and more recently, if you live in an area where you can get Band 12 LTE, also coverage.

pinhunter27

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the Uncarrier. Which plan did you go with and what color Note did you choose?

I don't think AT&T messed with the note 7 settings like Verizon did. I believe i read in the forums, att is the worse with bloat though.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I was an original Verizon note 7 owner. I found out the Verizon had took it upon themselves to alter some settings on my paid in full Verizon model. Was not happy about this. So when the recall happened I decided I would switch carriers. After being a Verizon Customer for 12 years I was nervous about the switch. All I can say is wow the T mobile note 7 is much nicer than the Verizon version. Very little bloat and all of the settings are available.. I understand peoples hesitation concerning coverage. Fortunately my area is solid with all carriers. Despite me living in a small market. If T mobile is good in your area consider making the switch but don't try taking an unlocked Verizon phone to T mobile... doesn't work well.

So what features are on the tmobile version not on verizon.

pinhunter27

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Samsung cloud was the biggest one.. there was a workaround for Verizon with samsung back up... didn't seem to work that well for me. The tmobile phone backup works excellent. Samsung updated the settings menu [quick setting and suggestions] Verizon kept the old menu and I had no suggestions. Auto restart was another one that I wanted that Verizon did away with. Device manager was not on Verizon.

I don't recall my Verizon note 7 having quick options when holding an app. However I could have forgot about that or not utilized it when on Verizon. That feature is probably there. There is a post on the forums that list more details about the Verizon changes..

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I bought a T-Mobile Note 7 before the recall. I moved from AT&T

T-Mobile's service is just a joke. I thought that in 2016, all carriers would be decent, but I was wrong.

If I were to buy a Note 7 today I would go with AT&T or Verizon. Bloat can be disabled, carrier branding can be hidden in a case; there is no solution for no service.

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Coral blue same as my Verizon one.. I tried the one plus plan but I'm going to save the 25 dollars and go with the one plan. I'm sure if I casted a lot of video the "hd pass everyday" would be worth it but i usually watch on the note 7 display.

I would have never left Verizon had they not gimped the note 7.. i know it's not a big deal but when you are paying full price for a phone the carriers should not be removing/ altering settings and bloat should be minimal.

I see a lot of people kvetching about the Verizon phone being 'gimped'....I need an explanation of what that MEANS...

oldskoolstyle70

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Verizon has a habit of removing features that you would normally have for free with a service they charge for. Example would be Samsung cloud removed for their version of cloud storage. Samsung is free and Verizon has a cost.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Verizon has a habit of removing features that you would normally have for free with a service they charge for. Example would be Samsung cloud removed for their version of cloud storage. Samsung is free and Verizon has a cost.

I really dislike the Verizon modifications to this phone, which is otherwise stellar.
There was no reason to completely remove most of the "Device Maintenance" features, nor modify the settings screen (I don't give a plop if customer service can't so much as adjust their script to work with a different phone).

and there ought to be an FCC complaint or three for not shipping the phone with Samsung Pay out of the box, removing the "Hiya" integration with the stock dialer (do other branded variants do this?) and hiding Samsung Cloud because of the Verizon Cloud. Verizon's arrogance in this regard is just so off-putting to deal with having coverage.

oldskoolstyle70

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I've had all the carrier's and from my experiences, T-Mobile has been the best as far as letting the phone stay in its intended form. Don't get me wrong, there is still bloatware on it. But they don't remove anything from what I've seen.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Actual Tmo coverage is not good overall for Ohio and Kentucky. I had them with the N-Gage, Dash and N600 (awful phone). Got tired of weak call coverage and got out of the contract, since Tmo tested and agreed (to their credit). Still the same issues and people locally switching to Verizon even now.

IMO the changes with the Verizon and Tmo versions were not much and the bloat is just a few hundred megs (if that) and easy to disable.

Key word is "were", since the problem now is at least AT&T and Tmo got the new performance and feature updates, so the difference now is HUGE. Verizon got a little green gauge adding, device locking down 80MB update and the other carriers got that, but more importantly the Nougat feature-like features/performance in their 400MB update.

Features like logically putting the display resolution options in settings instead of power saving and more options for apps using long press ("3D" as some say) are missing. Along with other features and performance improvements.

Verizon is becoming the un-customer carrier. Their arrogance is fueled by their coverage.

Added: The Note 7 signal reception is not very good, so I would cringe at the coverage with Tmo where I live. Too bad that I am stuck with the un-customer carrier. No signal really to spare with the Note 7, so sticking with them. Meh.