new note 7 extremely overheating!

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Fixed Note .7- High Temps??

I got the Verizon new fixed phone (Green battery icon).

Just watching some youtube videos on new pipe .. the phone got so warm and you can feel the heat if you hold and even worse place on cheek.. Now I just installed CPU-Z and during idling I am see 130+F.. This seems crazy for an idling phone w/o even doing any games or anything big. I just do browser activties and nothing big.

Screenshot_20160927-192448.jpg

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I read another report where a Note with a black square on the box caught fire.

What's interesting is that in this one, the rear panel popped open, indicating that the battery inflated, likely caused by a ruptured cell possibly caused by overheating, leading me to suspect that a safeguard designed to help with temperatures could have failed. The others which caught fire didn't have their rear panels opened.

What's odd is that the owner said it happened 24 hours after purchase and that he refused to have Samsung take a look at it.

FAKE! Plain and simple...

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Come on folks. This is getting ridiculous. Phones get warm during various tasks (gaming, charging, large data transfers, etc). This stuff is nothing new. Every smartphone I've ever had has done this.

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
What would happen if Samsung had to recall the Note for a second time? Would it kill the Note for this year? Yikes. I don't know how the damage would be repaired to the reputation then. I just hope for the S8 Edge these battery issues are sorted out.

Im not going through a second recall, i'm keeping mine

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Fixed Note .7- High Temps??

Just watching some youtube videos on new pipe .. the phone got so warm and you can feel the heat if you hold and even worse place on cheek.. Now I just installed CPU-Z and during idling I am see 130+F.. This seems crazy for an idling phone w/o even doing any games or anything big. I just do browser activties and nothing big.

View attachment 240848

That does seem warm for a phone on standby. Mine got up to 102 degrees during the initial set up and update. It rarely gets past 94 and generally sits in the 70s to low 80s. It is 85 degrees right now on a fast wireless charger.

Frozen Corpse

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
What would happen if Samsung had to recall the Note for a second time? Would it kill the Note for this year? Yikes. I don't know how the damage would be repaired to the reputation then. I just hope for the S8 Edge these battery issues are sorted out.
I would think so.

Frozen Corpse

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 240848
Are you going to return your phone?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 240848

How long had you had it when this happened? Mine ran pretty warm during light use and got really hot while charging the first 2 days. Now I'm on my 3rd full day, and it seems to have gotten much better. Even streaming HD video while fast charging it stayed pretty cool this morning.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
@Pmendu has the facts to support that it is getting far too hot during idle to be dismissive about it. At this point EVERYTHING is anecdotal, but so many folks are reporting over-heating and/or battery deficiencies that we should not be ridiculing them.

As for the guy in China, he may or may not be telling the truth (who knows, could be unscrupulous vendor passing off the defective units), but the fact he wouldn't turn it over to Samsung is not proof he's lying - whether he plans to sue (doubtful in China) or just wants an independent investigation - maybe CNNMoney should offer to have it tested...

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

How long had you had it when this happened? Mine ran pretty warm during light use and got really hot while charging the first 2 days. Now I'm on my 3rd full day, and it seems to have gotten much better. Even streaming HD video while fast charging it stayed pretty cool this morning.

I got it last Thursday. I think we should compare the temps for the folks who say it is cool all the time, then we can get to bottom of it. It could be the hot temps (100F) in san diego that coud be causing high temps in car usage.

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

View attachment 240848

Also the key temps to note are the sensors 8 & 9. This is probably what make it very warm to touch. Again this is not charging or anything, just watching youtube videos in car for 20mins or so activity.

Today I just came to office and did the CPUZ again and noticed sensor 8 & 9 to be 120-122F, phone is nice to hold and place on cheek to talk.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Here's mine right at the moment

86ead0eb04c2bbba7fa9b22c9b4224bf.jpg

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I got it last Thursday. I think we should compare the temps for the folks who say it is cool all the time, then we can get to bottom of it. It could be the hot temps (100F) in san diego that coud be causing high temps in car usage.

I live in GA and if I use mine outside even just for a few texts it gets really hot fast. I just attribute that to the 95+ temperatures/humidity. I need to dl an app to check the temps. Just haven't done it yet.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I've been charging the phome for about 15 mins now. To me it only feels slightly warm but nothing concerning. These seem high but perhaps it's normal? My phone doesn't feel hot.

950e3d5e56868c1fcd539de64b6af302.jpg

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I am seeing a battery tab to the left of the THERMAL tab on the CPU-Z app. If you click on BATTERY, mine shows 86°,which matches GSAM. If I'm on THERMAL, mine shows around 130 as well. My phone is barely warm.

f06024164ca5e007927bf4f3de67abc9.jpg

f066e65487e147bd78d6f72c1bbcdce4.jpg

dbd9b1f680e9eb2494bcffa58cae122d.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer