broke my new phone :(

Dalaryius13

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Guys,

So I posted on saturday about a vibration issue with my New Note7 (post recall) where the vibrate produces a rattling sound. I was trying to get a replacement but no stores in my area had any new ones, so I got stuck with it. Well fast forward to that night and I've cracked the back of my phone :(. Very annoying as the last phone I broke was my note 2 and that was back in 2011 after having it for two years

I use to work at Verizon so I know how staunch they are on replacing broken phone: it's an asurion issue. I do however know that this recall shook things up a bit. Now I'm gonna still try and get my replacement as the issue was there before I even broke the back but I wonder what my odds are? My argument is I have a defective phone that I got stuck with because of the limited availability and furthermore, my initial Note7 was perfect, it's not my fault I had to trade it in and get something with issues.

I'm not trying to remove blame from myself but this is frustrating as its not a cut and dry situation. If I had actually got my replacement on Saturday then I would've broken that one and it'd be a non-issue, I'd be filing an insurance claim, no questions asked.

A little frustrated at this point, but I'm pretty sure that even if I have to order a replacement from asurion that it'll be a new one, but that's 150 down the drain.

So what do you all think? what are my odds or any suggestions on how I explain myself? I know I just made this more of a debacle.

Last edited:

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like an insurance claim... sorry

Edit: You may get a new unit under insurance claim since its only been a matter of days since green battery devices started rolling out. Or you might be the first to receive a refurbished 1st round N7s with a swapped battery

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
How did it crack? Had case? If you worked retail before then you know... crack is user induced damage and not under warranty. If you have insurance that covers it then cool.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Only a guess but because of current situation... all the recalls I am guessing in no position to be refurbed and they only started exchanging the old phones for new ones in last week... I guess they have not gotten any new versions back to refurb in place right now. So my guess it would be new.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I think to answer your question to have to ask as a former Verizon employee is what would be the policy if someone came into the store with a similar claim. Was cracking the back of the phone related to the buzzing issue, or caused by some other action?

EDIT: I agree with the guess on replacement phones. I'm betting if there were any phones already in the pipeline for insurance replacements that many of them were also subject to the recall, and would be substituted with "new" units.

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You're SoL. You can argue all you want about this and that but in the end you broke the phone. It's consider physical damage and you'll have to make a claim on it. You get a new phone but you'll be out whatever the deductible is.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I think you are going to have to file for an insurance claim. Sucks, but damaging the phone probably has no bering especially since you have a new replacement "fixed" device.

Dalaryius13

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I worked at a Retail location, not corporate and even so, I wouldn't know how they're handling things in this situation. At my old store it would've been a **** no. The cracking occured because I dropped it. But the buzzing issue was something I noticed the day after getting my new phone. I even tested it against my roommates Note7 so I know its definitely a defect. Like I said it would've been replaced before the crack but no availability, and I checked at 4 corporate stores. Thats really my main argument.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
one way to buck the system is dependent on if you have the green icon or not.

Something I thought of when I had to exchange my replacement because of a hardware issue, was that the process of replacing the replacement took longer than picking up the original replacement. After all was said and done, I could have went back in and said it was a recalled device, and it would have been switched out and I could have kept the accessories. I should add that I made all my purchases and transactions through Best Buy. They have a policy of not turning on any recalled devices. And if you perform an FDR, they won't be able to see the status of the device unless they check the IMEI or set it up to see the green battery.

Just my thoughts. I have too good of a conscious to actually try to pull that off though. Which is why I am still sitting here with a new Note7, 3 devices later, and I don't have any spare accessories.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Are u on a waiting list for a new phone? I think if u went in with the defective phone and told to wait for a new one (and your account was noted, or put on a waiting list), you could bring it in to swap, even in its current state. In that case, it would just be a bit more broken than it already was.

Dalaryius13

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Naw, this is my new phone. Yeah, I agree with most of you guys, guess my consolation is that I'll get a new phone with the insurance replacement. I'm still gonna give it a try though. I feel like I'm pretty convincing.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Guys,

So I posted on saturday about a vibration issue with my New Note7 (post recall) where the vibrate produces a rattling sound. I was trying to get a replacement but no stores in my area had any new ones, so I got stuck with it. Well fast forward to that night and I've cracked the back of my phone :(. Very annoying as the last phone I broke was my note 2 and that was back in 2011 after having it for two years

I use to work at Verizon so I know how staunch they are on replacing broken phone: it's an asurion issue. I do however know that this recall shook things up a bit. Now I'm gonna still try and get my replacement as the issue was there before I even broke the back but I wonder what my odds are? My argument is I have a defective phone that I got stuck with because of the limited availability and furthermore, my initial Note7 was perfect, it's not my fault I had to trade it in and get something with issues.

I'm not trying to remove blame from myself but this is frustrating as its not a cut and dry situation. If I had actually got my replacement on Saturday then I would've broken that one and it'd be a non-issue, I'd be filing an insurance claim, no questions asked.

A little frustrated at this point, but I'm pretty sure that even if I have to order a replacement from asurion that it'll be a new one, but that's 150 down the drain.

So what do you all think? what are my odds or any suggestions on how I explain myself? I know I just made this more of a debacle.
Sit down, pretty sure the insurance deductible is $199 for the note 7. And the last person before the recall that filed with assurion was told they had none in stock, imagine that hasn't changed yet, and it probably will be awhile. You will either get a new one or be the first to get a refurb old one.

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
This may have been something you tried already, or maybe it wouldn't work anyway, but would Samsung be able to do anything for you in this situation, being that you had previously attempted to exchange your N7?

I'm not sure if there's anything they would do, but considering the circumstances of what's happened with the recall and all, it may be worth a shot, even if it's a shot in the dark.

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Sit down, pretty sure the insurance deductible is $199 for the note 7. And the last person before the recall that filed with assurion was told they had none in stock, imagine that hasn't changed yet, and it probably will be awhile. You will either get a new one or be the first to get a refurb old one.

I think they were offering the S7 Edge as an alternative replacement.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Naw, this is my new phone. Yeah, I agree with most of you guys, guess my consolation is that I'll get a new phone with the insurance replacement. I'm still gonna give it a try though. I feel like I'm pretty convincing.

Did you call Verizon about the issue before you cracked yours? Or have a corporate store notate your account that yours was defective? That might be your only saving grace at this point. The reps could say that the rattling is b/c of the cracked phone otherwise.