Screen Protector, Is it Needed on a Note 7

Carraser23

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
YES YOU DO!!!!

Love my new Note7 and at Verizon I bought their tempered curved glass screen cover...it was $39.99

It's great, and as a side bonus it covers the Samsung logo in front of screen 😚

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160926/637c3b2bb329d937490e18e09615c866.jpg

I've been curious about the verizon glass protector because every other screen protector ive seen always lifts up. Does it create a rainbow effect? Does it stay on? How does it feel to type and with the s pen?

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I've been curious about the verizon glass protector because every other screen protector ive seen always lifts up. Does it create a rainbow effect? Does it stay on? How does it feel to type and with the s pen?
No rainbow effect.
SPen glides cause is glass
Fits perfectly
Looks beautiful and it covers the Samsung logo

Does it stay on? Yes and no
I use the flip cover from Samsung, if i want to take it off, you have to be very careful to remove the flip case otherwise the curved glass cover will lift.

Happened twice but I was able to fix it and it looks flawless. I recommend it.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I've been using extreme guard. I've used it on my Note 4, S7 Edge and now my N7. No problems when putting on right. I had to take it off my original N7 and hopefully will reapply when I get my replacement in a few days.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
No rainbow effect.
SPen glides cause is glass
Fits perfectly
Looks beautiful and it covers the Samsung logo

Does it stay on? Yes and no
I use the flip cover from Samsung, if i want to take it off, you have to be very careful to remove the flip case otherwise the curved glass cover will lift.

Happened twice but I was able to fix it and it looks flawless. I recommend it.
Which version of Samsung flip cover do you have?

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
When my original Note 7 came the first thing I did was find a T-Mobile store that sold screen protectors and had them put one on it. It was the Zagg, and it held pretty well for a plastic one. When I got my replacement, I decided to go without a screen protector. I use a wallet flip case so when it is in my pocket it is always covered
What brand/type of wallet case do you have?

dcooper830

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I have some no name generic tempered glass curved screen protector I got off eBay and it works very well. I also have an Otterbox Defender and it holds the screen protector down very nicely!

It's an excellent combo imo and makes me feel confident my phone is reasonably safe from damage.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
This has been discussed a few times... I was not able to use my glass screen protector with my Spigen Tough Armor case. ( It lifted off )

Now I am naked with the back case. Maybe thinking of the Samsung plastic ones but still not sure.

Another option I thought of is a flap style case but they wouldn't have as much drop protection as the tough armor I have now. So no matter what it doesn't seem ideal.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a canica glass protector from Amazon. The reviews were good, but if it doesn't work I won't be too mad. It was only $8 and I used a gift card so I really didn't lose any money. I tried to put a zagg one on my first note 7, but it didn't last. If this new one does not work out them Im just going to leave the screen bare.

Jenn40811

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Exchanged my phone on Tuesday was holding out for the screen protector I ordered from eBay. Pulled my phone out of my pocket on Saturday morning and there is a deep scratch in the center of my screen. It's bugging me to the point that I may use my insurance to get it replaced.

Cooler299

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion a Screen protector is a must. The Note 7 has Gorilla Glass 5 which is Supposedly Crack proof but not scratch proof compared to their Gorilla Glass 4. I've heard a lot of people complaining about the glass getting scratched.

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Which version of Samsung flip cover do you have?
This one, except when I bought the original explosive Note7, I went to Best Buy and got it for $60 !!!

As you can see Amazon has it for less

79dae0d2ef58c0fbb8224bde4bdfac9b.jpg

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
No it's like buying a Ferrari or in this case a McLaren and protecting your investment with a layer of protection.

Skip to 3:30 to see the film being applied like a wet install screen protector and skip to around 14:30 for the finish look. Doesn't look cheap to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmWZNVMiaYw

Since you mentioned Ferrarim, fast forward to 18:30 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvkIbBxjURg

IMO putting a screen protector on the N7 is like buying a Ferarri and putting a cheap tint job on it. The cheesy peeling edges make it look like junk

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The Note 7 should have had GG4, since it apparently handles scratches better. GG5's ability apparently to crack less is obviously futile on a curved all glass covered device. Why bother besides spec touting? There is no positive value to Note 7 users.

Protectors on the curved device are problematic and annoying. Especially if you swipe the edge much, use certain cases and or use VR. The extra layer actually adds to the refraction issues with curves.

Not using a protector for those reasons and carrying in belt loop case, just like the Note 4 and MXPE (I can handle the jeers). None of which got even a slight scratch during their extended use.

That is an attribute of VR and scratch checking. Even the slightest one stands out huge.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I always use a screen protector. The challenge with the N7 is both the curved screen and the SPen. The curved screen is difficult for a lot of protectors, as they can easily not stick, leaving a lifted edge. It looks bad and it collects stuff. Also, the SPen really needs a glass-hard surface to glide on.

So far, I've used and researched tempered glass and TPU. Here's what I've found.

- Tempered glass: many brands don't have adhesive under the curved portion of the screen, so they lift. The SPen loves tempered glass - works great. The deal-breaker for me is the edge lifting and the fact that, for me, they look awful. Even from 4-5 feet away I can see the tempered glass protector, and for owners like me that use minimalist cases to enjoy the beautiful design of the N5/N7, those glass protectors really look terrible. Again, just my opinion.

- TPU: there are different grades of TPU, some are softer than others. Since most are wet-apply, I really like the chance to get it perfectly lined-up and TPU is very forgiving in that bubbles and streaks typically disappear within 12 hours or so. However, unlike glass, they suck for using the SPen as their somewhat rubbery surface grabs the SPen and the marks left behind make it hard to re-write in the same area. On the plus side, properly applied, they are almost totally invisible.

At this point I am using an Illumi AquaShield TPU and it looks amazing. The sides stick 100% and there's no issue using the cases I like to use. Aesthetically, it's just perfect. The SPen is the gotcha. The Illumi is a tad harder than other TPU's so it's better for SPen writing. And it self-heals well, so any marks that the SPen leaves on it disappear within a few minutes. But the soft TPU surface is not the best for the SPen.

I've been looking at the Samsung protector, which many say is the best for the N7. It's not a thick glass plate, but it's not a softer TPU either. The $20 - $35 price tag has me pausing for the moment.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
- TPU: there are different grades of TPU, some are softer than others. Since most are wet-apply, I really like the chance to get it perfectly lined-up and TPU is very forgiving in that bubbles and streaks typically disappear within 12 hours or so. However, unlike glass, they suck for using the SPen as their somewhat rubbery surface grabs the SPen and the marks left behind make it hard to re-write in the same area. On the plus side, properly applied, they are almost totally invisible.
I realized something.

Notice the replacement S Pen nibs in the box? There's some that are designed to be used with TPU protectors.

JessiLulu

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I always use a screen protector. The challenge with the N7 is both the curved screen and the SPen. The curved screen is difficult for a lot of protectors, as they can easily not stick, leaving a lifted edge. It looks bad and it collects stuff. Also, the SPen really needs a glass-hard surface to glide on.

So far, I've used and researched tempered glass and TPU. Here's what I've found.

- Tempered glass: many brands don't have adhesive under the curved portion of the screen, so they lift. The SPen loves tempered glass - works great. The deal-breaker for me is the edge lifting and the fact that, for me, they look awful. Even from 4-5 feet away I can see the tempered glass protector, and for owners like me that use minimalist cases to enjoy the beautiful design of the N5/N7, those glass protectors really look terrible. Again, just my opinion.

At this point I am using an Illumi AquaShield TPU and it looks amazing. The sides stick 100% and there's no issue using the cases I like to use. Aesthetically, it's just perfect. The SPen is the gotcha. The Illumi is a tad harder than other TPU's so it's better for SPen writing. And it self-heals well, so any marks that the SPen leaves on it disappear within a few minutes. But the soft TPU surface is not the best for the SPen.

I've been looking at the Samsung protector, which many say is the best for the N7. It's not a thick glass plate, but it's not a softer TPU either. The $20 - $35 price tag has me pausing for the moment.
On my first N7, I bought a cheap protector from Amazon. I could not get it lined up, got frustrated, and threw it away.

Then, I bought the PureGear from T-Mobile. I LOVED the application process. So easy. However, it did not feel as nice as the glass. It had an awful haze behind it that never went away. Plus, the edge of the protector gathered so much dust and stuff. Mine wasn't too bad, but my husband's was awful.

For our replacement N7s, I bought the official Samsung protector. It feels amazing and had an easy application process. It fits perfectly!! However, my clear Ringke case made the edges lift. 😔

I guess I am using the screen bare until I find another option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781