Screen Protector, Is it Needed on a Note 7

Carlo Villa

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
How do you like that cover? I've been considering that one. Does the AOD work with it?
I like the cover. But I don't know what AOD means 😔??

14beac392d82b9f155310b159836ea99.jpg

de3de190e94121b76ba5882b0b82f519.jpg

9d83e2a5c37b05a9045bae4480458522.jpg

e8a092d9b32e5322e5503d4ce35a0dea.jpg

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I tried one on my wife's.... went on fine, it adhered to the curve well enough, seemed like it would have worked. Then I popped it in her wallet case and the corners bunched right up and turned it into a hot mess. So I ripped the blasted thing off and she'll just rock it without a SP.

But she doesn't care... I couldn't get a SP to fit right on her outgoing S7 either, and over the course of the few months, it developed a few faint scratches. But she couldn't care less about them, so if SHE doesn't care, I don't care.

andrewg13

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I tried one on my wife's.... went on fine, it adhered to the curve well enough, seemed like it would have worked. Then I popped it in her wallet case and the corners bunched right up and turned it into a hot mess. So I ripped the blasted thing off and she'll just rock it without a SP.

But she doesn't care... I couldn't get a SP to fit right on her outgoing S7 either, and over the course of the few months, it developed a few faint scratches. But she couldn't care less about them, so if SHE doesn't care, I don't care.

The problem though is the GG5 on the N7 is not scratch resistant at all compared to the GG4 on the S7. It is barely more scratch resistant then plastic. See the durability test below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=571pu66vEBc

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The problem though is the GG5 on the N7 is not scratch resistant at all compared to the GG4 on the S7

Oh, I get ya... and I've seen that video. But getting a SP to fit on a curved screen, nevermind one that's in a case, is a feat. The S7, which has a sneaky curve/bulge, I went through 3 or 4 different SPs before I just gave up. Like I said, the phone's going to be in a wallet case, so that mitigates the chances. But like I said, she doesn't care either way, so I'll just let it be.

dcooper830

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
if anyone is interested... I have found that the Otterbox Defender and Commuter cases WILL work with a curved tempered glass screen protector.

The only thing is ... with the Defender, it helps to remove the built in clear plastic protector that comes with it.

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I use the Bodyguardz HD Contour. S-Pen works fine with it. I also have the Samsung S-View flip cover case. I've used that type of case on all my Note phones ...3, 4 and 7.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Didn't have a scratch on my recalled note7 and still don't with my new note7. I hate screen protectors. This display doesnt scratch as easily as people might think.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Didn't have a scratch on my recalled note7 and still don't with my new note7. I hate screen protectors. This display doesnt scratch as easily as people might think.
So far so good with my unprotected about to be replaced note7 as well. No scratches at all.

Joneser2006

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The thing that I noticed in all of the drop tests on YouTube, is that when the front screen cracks g5 usually keeps the screen usable and/or readable. The cracks are almost directed towards the edge so that the flat part of the screen stays intact. I believe that this g5 has more strength in that it doesn't flex/twist so that a drop on the FRONT of the corner doesn't cause the whole screen to twist and shatter. These are just my observations.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The Zagg "case-friendly" protectors are barely case-friendly. I have 3 Spigen cases and each one lifted the TPU on the top and bottom edges because they stretch too close to the edge. I don't know which case is friendly with these protectors but not any that I've tried. If it didn't lift because of the cases, the protector would seem to actually stay down on its own on the curved edges. However, I did not like how the installation process it. I've had Zagg protectors before, but this one requires you to use the adhesive lotion pad to wipe the protector to activate the adhesive rather. When you do this, you invite a lot of dust to the protector. I've had Zagg protectors before, and I don't recall them needing to be installed this way. This is the HD Clarity one. Maybe it was just this model, but I have found that the old way of spraying the TPU and your fingers to be a far better method. Anyway, this won't do and I just have it on right now to have something on it.

I have a Zagg protector on my GS6e and it was the spray bottle installation method with that one and it fit really well without lifting. However, I didn't have a bunch of cases for that phone to see if it would have lifted with the cases.

I have a Bodygardz on my GS7e and I am thinking of getting it for the Note 7. It is very case friendly with the GS7e and the edges do not lift on their own on the curve. I just don't know if I have the patience to do it. Also, it's not cheap. I was at the Verizon store the other day and the guy there talked me out of buying the curved glass protector since someone came in complaining that it just fell off. lol - he also owned one and is keeping it naked for now.

I'm not keeping my phone naked. It's never taken anything away from me by having the protector there with my piece of mind. I don't care about fingerprints or smudges - I would get that on the unprotected screen as well, especially once that Oleophobic coating wears off.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
“The additional S Pen tips that come with the Samsung Galaxy Note7 are made up of different materials to suit different needs. The black and white S Pen tips are made of Elastomer, which gives it a rubbery finish, while the grey S Pen tips are made from Polyoxymethylene, which gives it a plastic finish. The rubber tip offers better grip while the plastic tip provides smoother contact with the Note7 screen. The default pen tip of the S Pen is the rubber tip. Samsung has included five additional pen tips with every Note7, three rubber tips and two plastic tips, to cater to different preferences and usage scenarios of Note7 customers.”

Lol, I was observing my s pen kit and could not think of a reason as to why they had 2 grey tips in the bag. I don't use screen protectors but now I know.

MzKoKoNY

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
edit: I quoted Viscomi but the quote didn't appear.

i totally get enjoying the naked aesthetic, to feel the screen that but protecting the screen is better than an aesthetic scratched/cracked screen. But to each his/her own.