Will these Note 7s be sold as Refurbs?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
This has me thinking, will some of the returned Note 7s have their batteries replaced and sold as refurbs at discounted prices? Just curious. If I get the itch for a Note 7 and I certainly don't want to pay hefty price again, could I pick up a refurb for a lot cheaper?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Most likely, if they're good. Since they were taking units in any state or condition, some of them might not be suitable for repair. But those that were well taken care of, most likely will have the batteries replaced and used as refurb units.

That being said, these would probably be used for warranty replacements and can hardly see those on sale as refurbs any time soon.

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
At some point I'm sure carriers will start pushing refurbished units and Samsung will slow down manufacturing new ones.

Ultimately what it means, good deals for those who wait and us early adopters will probably see our phones lose more value than it normally does when we attempt to sell them.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
All my opinion of course but I don't think these phones ever see the light of day and will be destroyed or maybe stripped for parts. I don't think they are opened up, battery replaced and then used as insurance replacements or refurbs. The IMEI has already been blacklisted and just changing the battery wouldn't change the IMEI number of the phone so the blacklist status would remain forever.

Since Samsung is in the insurance business I think it is very likely they carry Recall Insurance. This insurance could cover many expenses related to the recall including disposal of the product. I think this is what Samsung will do. Based on parts cost of the S7 of $252, it's very likely the parts cost for the Note 7 is $400 or less so for 2.5 million devices it's a $1 billion write off or less on the parts. Expensive, sure, but far from crippling considering Samsung made $6 billion in profit in Q2 2016.

zsufi

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
They will not be sold as refurbished or anything. Samsung will just destroy every single one of them, keep a specific number for additional testing and probably put a few hundred of these on their wall of shame to remind themselves everyday that they should be more careful next time.

It is an officially government approved recalled product. There is no refurbishment on these anymore. It will cost more to strip the parts than to manufacture them. They will be destroyed.