I'm not worried about the phone exploding but rather the value of the N7 in the long run. Will I be able to sell it for a decent price considering the bad publicity? Also will Samsung go all out on the N8 due to the bad publicity for the N7 and the 10th anniversary iPhone? Will the note 7 be abandoned quickly when it comes to updates? Sorry for all the questions just wondering if I should just wait another year.
    09-28-2016 09:09 AM
    I'm not worried about the phone exploding but rather the value of the N7 in the long run. Will I be able to sell it for a decent price considering the bad publicity? Also will Samsung go all out on the N8 due to the bad publicity for the N7 and the 10th anniversary iPhone? Will the note 7 be abandoned quickly when it comes to updates? Sorry for all the questions just wondering if I should just wait another year.
    I never buy a phone with the intent of getting a high resale value.
    09-28-2016 09:11 AM
    There's always a better phone around the corner. If you'd rather wait, wait. But just remember that when the Note 8 is announced, the Note 9 will probably be better.
    brau0303 and T48 like this.
    09-28-2016 09:12 AM
    I usually buy my phones unlock so it makes me nervous buying a Note 7 now. I really do not want the carrier version even if it is a safer bet. Waiting from the Pixel announcement and the Moto Z interests me. Currently have a Note 5, so my next Note maybe the Note 8.
    09-28-2016 09:17 AM
    If resale value is a major buying decision point for you, then it is wise to consider other options. It seems likely IMO that this mess will have an impact on resale value , if not in the overall number of potential 2nd hand buyers who may be more wary of this than of other phones.

I never sell my old phones, so this is not a concern at all for me (pass them down to family or friends usually).
    09-28-2016 09:20 AM
    If resale value is a major buying decision point for you, then it is wise to consider other options. It seems likely IMO that this mess will have an impact on resale value , if not in the overall number of potential 2nd hand buyers who may be more wary of this than of other phones.

I never sell my old phones, so this is not a concern at all for me (pass them down to family or friends usually).
    There is only one option if you want the best resale price. We all know what phone is that
    dsignori likes this.
    09-28-2016 09:50 AM
    Great question.....
    09-28-2016 10:11 AM
    Another factor to consider is what is Samsung going to do with the recalled devices. Are they going to be refurbished and sold? If so the market could be flooded with factory refurbs keeping the prices lower in the resale market.
    09-28-2016 10:17 AM
    Im pretty sure it will still have pretty good resale value. Androids in general have better than average resell value. I can normally get more than half of what I paid for it. It will never have iphone resell.

I imagine the sell will go something like this?
    Potential Buyer: Is this the newer version that doesn't explode?
    Seller: This is the new version with green battery and black square on box.
    Potential Buyer: Sold
    09-28-2016 10:26 AM
    My thought on resale depends on what they do with the 2 million+ units they get back... If they put them back out as refurbs to their certified preowned website then that's a lot of units and would think resale value falls. People said they can hold them for warranty/insurance replacements... but we're talking 2 million+ units. Once production resumes to normal levels, you'll be getting your normal flow of defective units back to refurb anyways.

09-28-2016 10:40 AM
    No one can tell you the future. People also have short memories or weren't paying enough attention in the first place. My guess is your potential buyer is going to be someone in that category. Tech heads know too much about the options to give you action unless you're selling below market value. And I'll say it, the iPhone is the phone with the greatest resale value.
    09-28-2016 10:42 AM
    If you want good resale value, buy an Apple device. Other brands don't have great resale values.
    09-28-2016 10:54 AM
    I never buy with thought of resale value myself. I only sold one of my phones and reluctantly too to a friend that needed one. I always just hand me down the phones eventually lol.

If you are in the market for a phone right now, you choose what a fair price is and if it meets your criteria then you buy it and not think of resale. If I were you if you feel it overpriced, wait a bit and I bet there will be offers whether discount or bundle with free accessories and help reduce the pain for paying for a $900 phone. I'm sure there will be deals.

I never buy a phone with the intent of getting a high resale value.
    09-28-2016 10:57 AM
    If Samsung goes all out on the S8 or N8 to put this recall in the dust bin of history as has been mentioned on the forums. Then the next question people will have is reliability. New technology or over the top gadgets can have multiple issues as well. Point is, there will always be a question of do I buy now or wait? Personally would not worry about resale so much as (if you are willing to wait) waiting to see what black Friday brings. Would think you might save more off of the top than you would make up in resale. IPhone is a mixed bag on sales reports. The obvious Samsung issue as well as it seems Google wants to push the Pixel line vs just having a branded phone available. So 7 weeks or so +/-?
    If you needed a device today, would not otherwise hesitate if it is a fit for you.

My thought on resale depends on what they do with the 2 million+ units they get back... If they put them back out as refurbs to their certified preowned website then that's a lot of units and would think resale value falls. People said they can hold them for warranty/insurance replacements... but we're talking 2 million+ units. Once production resumes to normal levels, you'll be getting your normal flow of defective units back to refurb anyways.
    True & something to possibly consider. But we do not know where or which market Samsung may offer them. As well, not sure what each countries gov agencies may require Samsung to certify to bring them in even as a refurb given the media circus & bans in certain areas.
    09-28-2016 10:57 AM
    What about support from Samsung as far as updates? Will Samsung try to put the note 7 fiasco behind them and start focusing on future devices much sooner than usual?
    09-28-2016 12:04 PM
    I think it won't change their support for the unit for this year... meaning you judge their support on past phones and expect pretty much the same level based on history of support of past units... like the Note 5 and Note 4... S6 Galaxy, S5 Galaxy, etc.

I don't know anything about past Notes like 5 or 4 but if someone could chime in how often they got updates to Samsung apps... to Touchwiz, etc the year they were released?? Do Note 5s continue to get app updates now the Note 7 is out or do they become forgotten souls? I kinda think they become forgotten... I mean Note 6 uses the new Grace UI... will older phones get the new skin? So I'm hoping if they can at least address all the bugs they find the first year then I'd be happy and also be happy knowing they will push out Nougat to the Note 7. They did promise Note 7 owners Nougat. But dunno when that will be... Note 4 just got Marshmellow... 2 years later? But I wouldn't expect OS "O' after that... if they did it would be 2 years later and I'd probably be on another phone by then.

What about support from Samsung as far as updates? Will Samsung try to put the note 7 fiasco behind them and start focusing on future devices much sooner than usual?
    09-28-2016 12:19 PM