10-04-2016 04:18 AM
62 123
tools
    I live on the beach. Since I need to return this N7 cause of battery issues I have been trying to scratch the screen. I used sand, keys, sharp tweezers but nothing seems to scratch it. I have rubbed sand on the screen vigorously with not even a minor a brasion
    That's an outright lie. Don't mislead people like that.
    rushmore likes this.
    09-29-2016 11:13 AM
    I looked at the Verizon screen protector, and I decided that I'll just give my wet application screen protector to my dad because he hasn't cracked his screen at all, but does anyone know any good dry application tempered glass screen protectors besides the Verizon one? I haven't found one that has decent reviews 😥
    Anyone?
    jordans0nly likes this.
    09-29-2016 11:25 AM
    Sand scratches even Gorilla Glass as it's a hard substance.

You ought to be pretty careful
    09-29-2016 09:28 PM
    would be more concerned about sand getting into s-pen tunnel

Sand scratches even Gorilla Glass as it's a hard substance.

You ought to be pretty careful
    shaleem likes this.
    09-29-2016 09:41 PM
    I accept the curved tempered glass screen protector from Verizon as good. Fit is perfect and S pen works well with it
    Judging by the reviews, it sounds like I'll pass on that one. It sounds like all of the curved ones have less sensitivity in the middle of the screen because they don't seal to the screen.
    09-29-2016 09:45 PM
    My original N7 had poor sensitivity even without any protection. It's why I returned it. Still looking at different phones to replace it. Mine also lagged despite factory reset. Loved the camera and screen. Just flawed.
    09-29-2016 10:42 PM
    Very surprised no one touched on how sand or the salt air can damaged devices like this.. The sand on one hand, in conjunction with the 10, 20, 30 MPH winds, acts just the sand paper or a media blaster.. Not only can the sand moving at nearly 30 MPH damage your screen, it can also be forced into your device USB port, block these ports and start the corrosion process due to exposure to the salt air. If salted sand has entered your device, over time and with the constant fluctuation in heat and humidity.. the salted sand can and will expand and contract. Not to mention the salt (once wet inside your device) can seep into your devices vital parts and create an electrical short etc.
    WalkingHorse likes this.
    09-30-2016 06:27 AM
    Use ziplock type baggies to protect your camera when at the beach, and if you do get sand on the screen try to blow it off. Watch out you don't get sand in your pockets and then plop your phone in there.
    09-30-2016 09:04 AM
    Very surprised no one touched on how sand or the salt air can damaged devices like this.. The sand on one hand, in conjunction with the 10, 20, 30 MPH winds, acts just the sand paper or a media blaster.. Not only can the sand moving at nearly 30 MPH damage your screen, it can also be forced into your device USB port, block these ports and start the corrosion process due to exposure to the salt air. If salted sand has entered your device, over time and with the constant fluctuation in heat and humidity.. the salted sand can and will expand and contract. Not to mention the salt (once wet inside your device) can seep into your devices vital parts and create an electrical short etc.
    Agreed. No way around the sand issue if you are trying to actually use your phone at the beach. For the salt air and water, couldn't you just dunk it in clean water when you got home and let it dry out?
    09-30-2016 10:02 AM
    For the salt air and water, couldn't you just dunk it in clean water when you got home and let it dry out?
    You could.. but nothing would be accomplished.. meaning that once salt, salted water or a saline solutions has entered the PC boards of your devices all bets are off.. the device within 2 or 3 years may up and stop functioning because of the corrosion left behind due to humid or moist conditions. One reason these devices are so expensive and only last a few years.. it's called engineered obsolescence or engineered to be obsolete within 2 or 3 years.
    09-30-2016 10:08 AM
    You could.. but nothing would be accomplished.. meaning that once salt, salted water or a saline solutions has entered the PC boards of your devices all bets are off.. the device within 2 or 3 years may up and stop functioning because of the corrosion left behind due to humid or moist conditions. One reason these devices are so expensive and only last a few years.. it's called engineered obsolescence or engineered to be obsolete within 2 or 3 years.
    How would that make its way inside if it's waterproof?
    09-30-2016 10:23 AM
    How would that make its way inside if it's waterproof?
    It is water resistant and only tested in stagnant tap water. Sea water can damage the phone
    Almeuit likes this.
    09-30-2016 10:27 AM
    I'll answer your question with a question:

Approximately, how many devices (Smart Phones, Tablets, Cameras etc) are currently "waterproof"?.

Based on your answer and how a typical or average person maintains or cares for these devices.. what percentage of these waterproof devices actually end up being waterproof in the long run..
    09-30-2016 10:28 AM
    It is water resistant and only tested in stagnant tap water. Sea water can damage the phone
    This.
    09-30-2016 10:28 AM
    Which is why sand can cut through it
    I was being facetious
    09-30-2016 12:11 PM
    They actually warned against seawater and chlorinated water (like what's in pools) because it's more abrasive on the rubber seals. I think of it simply as should you spill something on the device you should be fine, I'm not going to mess around with intentionally trying to submerge it but to each their own.
    09-30-2016 12:21 PM
    They actually warned against seawater and chlorinated water (like what's in pools) because it's more abrasive on the rubber seals. I think of it simply as should you spill something on the device you should be fine, I'm not going to mess around with intentionally trying to submerge it but to each their own.
    Where can we read these warnings?
    09-30-2016 01:36 PM
    I'll answer your question with a question:

Approximately, how many devices (Smart Phones, Tablets, Cameras etc) are currently "waterproof"?.

Based on your answer and how a typical or average person maintains or cares for these devices.. what percentage of these waterproof devices actually end up being waterproof in the long run..
    Not many. A lot say "Water resistant" and people assume as that as water proof. As I always tell people -- read the fine print. The fine print always tells the truth.
    09-30-2016 03:13 PM
    Where can we read these warnings?
    In the manual.
    09-30-2016 03:13 PM
    Saltwater is very corrosive compared to fresh water, but you should be able to rinse off a few splashes with fresh water and have no ill effects. The trick is to rinse with fresh water quickly. Still, the bottom line is keep it dry and out of the sand at the beach.
    09-30-2016 03:29 PM
    Saltwater is very corrosive compared to fresh water, but you should be able to rinse off a few splashes with fresh water and have no ill effects. The trick is to rinse with fresh water quickly. Still, the bottom line is keep it dry and out of the sand at the beach.
    Which is also mentioned in the manual.
    09-30-2016 05:13 PM
    I live on the beach and it only takes one grain of sand to make big problems.
    In your eye is a real pain.
    They tested the glass on this phone and it came out as 1 step above plastic as far as scratch resistant.
    To me I just consider it a hindering to the phone and as much as I enjoy beach/bakini pics I would not take a $900 phone to the sand and play with it.
    09-30-2016 05:20 PM
    Beaches ain't good for phones. Nuff said.
    09-30-2016 08:28 PM
    OP, that is so sad!! Stupid sand. Sometimes the smallest things do the worst damage.
    09-30-2016 08:52 PM
    Not many. A lot say "Water resistant" and people assume as that as water proof. As I always tell people -- read the fine print. The fine print always tells the truth.
    This phone is supposed to be rated under normal water submersion up to 30 minutes at 30' depth? Perfect for those toilet drops
    10-01-2016 07:40 AM
62 123