Screen scratched by sand at beach

Josh Sadorra

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
A day at the beach and this new note 7 already has a noticeable scratch/crack, I believe it was from the sand.. All it was doing was sitting in a chair pocket and occasionally was used for pictures.. I just bought an ArmorSuit MilitaryShield screen protector, would anyone know if that'll help it be a bit less noticeable? Never used a screen protector on my old G3 😕

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, sand is a pain when it comes to glass, even Gorilla. I was so pissed when one got my S2 (I know, ages ago!) haha ever since I've been getting film screen protectors from day 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
How do film screen protectors do in terms of sensitivity with the S Pen?

Haven't had issues so far. I have heard that tempered glass CAN get in the way, though. And depending on the protector, it may feel like the S-Pen tip skids a little, but I only had that 'problem' with a cheap 'cut it yourself' film.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
When I was recently at the beach I used a wallet case, though there was a lot of wind and I was using the phone to take pictures and videos. I guess I was lucky, but most of the time the wallet was closed over the front as well as the back.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
In my experience unless the scratch is deep, a protector usually hides it well. I had no issues with the Zagg protector and my S pen.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If I ever end up at a beach with mine, I'll just have to be extra careful. No way am I putting a plastic screen protector on mine.
I am still looking for that elusive curved glass one that people will accept as good.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Also ironic is it is Water Resistant, aka Sea Resistant. Just not Sand Resistant.

And like a previous comment mentioned the only time I ever managed to get a scratch on my phone was my Note 2.

Josh Sadorra

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I just hope my screen protector comes in soon so I can stop worrying about this, even though I shouldn't.. thought gorilla glass 5 was top of the line but the shatter resistance apparently made the scratch resistance worse 😥

Booboo48

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
If I ever end up at a beach with mine, I'll just have to be extra careful. No way am I putting a plastic screen protector on mine.
I am still looking for that elusive curved glass one that people will accept as good.
I accept the curved tempered glass screen protector from Verizon as good. Fit is perfect and S pen works well with it

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

If I'm planning a beach trip I'll just get a plastic one to use for the time I'm at the beach. At the end of the vacation I'll take it off. I don't care for the feel of screen protectors either. I've used nice tempered glass ones on other phones, but they just don't look good to me b/c they never really go all the way to the edge of the glass.

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear that happened to you. :'( I learned a long time ago to have a special case for the beach, hiking/climbing and riding. Scratches drive me nuts. I settled on the Otterbox Defender case for those occasions. It's served me well. Under normal conditions I use a lower profile case.

I have heard that if the scratch is not too bad that a screen protector can make them seem much less noticeable.

BrutalhonestyM

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Sand makes glass and breaks glass, how ironic.
To answer your question, depends on how big the crack is on the screen. If you're going to use a screen protector, use the dry ones and not ArmorSuit MilitaryShield screen protector as I believe that requires liquid for installation which can affect your device, if liquid gets inside the cracks.

If you need more help, please let me know

Josh Sadorra

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Sand makes glass and breaks glass, how ironic.
To answer your question, depends on how big the crack is on the screen. If you're going to use a screen protector, use the dry ones and not ArmorSuit MilitaryShield screen protector as I believe that requires liquid for installation which can affect your device, if liquid gets inside the cracks.

If you need more help, please let me know
Do you know of any good dry application ones? Preferably tempered glass, I just couldn't find one with decent reviews 😅

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... all that quartz (silicon dioxide) is a killer. That stuff is pretty hard and does a number on pretty much anything it comes across. Every time we go to the beach, I'm very protective of my gear. Even though I have protectors on everything, it only takes a few wee grains to make a mess of things.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I've heard a number of times people mention the Verizon protector... is this an exclusive item only sold at Verizon? When I finally pull the trigger on a Note 7, I want to make sure I have decided and ordered all the accessories too.

I accept the curved tempered glass screen protector from Verizon as good. Fit is perfect and S pen works well with it