Screen scratched by sand at beach

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I can not recall the desert, but Corning procures their sand from a specific region of the earth due to the quality of it for Gorilla Glass. One of their main glass facilities (Harrodsburg KY) is not far from where I live. I have friends that work there.

WiFi_Joe

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I live on the beach. Since I need to return this N7 cause of battery issues I have been trying to scratch the screen. I used sand, keys, sharp tweezers but nothing seems to scratch it. I have rubbed sand on the screen vigorously with not even a minor a brasion

Josh Sadorra

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I looked at the Verizon screen protector, and I decided that I'll just give my wet application screen protector to my dad because he hasn't cracked his screen at all, but does anyone know any good dry application tempered glass screen protectors besides the Verizon one? I haven't found one that has decent reviews 😥

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Sand = silica and it is something that will scratch the crap out of your phone's screen..oh and by the way isn't silica melted to make glass anyway??!?

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I live on the beach. Since I need to return this N7 cause of battery issues I have been trying to scratch the screen. I used sand, keys, sharp tweezers but nothing seems to scratch it. I have rubbed sand on the screen vigorously with not even a minor a brasion

That's an outright lie. Don't mislead people like that.

Josh Sadorra

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
I looked at the Verizon screen protector, and I decided that I'll just give my wet application screen protector to my dad because he hasn't cracked his screen at all, but does anyone know any good dry application tempered glass screen protectors besides the Verizon one? I haven't found one that has decent reviews 😥
Anyone?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I accept the curved tempered glass screen protector from Verizon as good. Fit is perfect and S pen works well with it
Judging by the reviews, it sounds like I'll pass on that one. It sounds like all of the curved ones have less sensitivity in the middle of the screen because they don't seal to the screen.
d0aa815d9f390c52787c8aabf919e7c2.jpg

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My original N7 had poor sensitivity even without any protection. It's why I returned it. Still looking at different phones to replace it. Mine also lagged despite factory reset. Loved the camera and screen. Just flawed.

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Very surprised no one touched on how sand or the salt air can damaged devices like this.. The sand on one hand, in conjunction with the 10, 20, 30 MPH winds, acts just the sand paper or a media blaster.. Not only can the sand moving at nearly 30 MPH damage your screen, it can also be forced into your device USB port, block these ports and start the corrosion process due to exposure to the salt air. If salted sand has entered your device, over time and with the constant fluctuation in heat and humidity.. the salted sand can and will expand and contract. Not to mention the salt (once wet inside your device) can seep into your devices vital parts and create an electrical short etc.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Use ziplock type baggies to protect your camera when at the beach, and if you do get sand on the screen try to blow it off. Watch out you don't get sand in your pockets and then plop your phone in there.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Very surprised no one touched on how sand or the salt air can damaged devices like this.. The sand on one hand, in conjunction with the 10, 20, 30 MPH winds, acts just the sand paper or a media blaster.. Not only can the sand moving at nearly 30 MPH damage your screen, it can also be forced into your device USB port, block these ports and start the corrosion process due to exposure to the salt air. If salted sand has entered your device, over time and with the constant fluctuation in heat and humidity.. the salted sand can and will expand and contract. Not to mention the salt (once wet inside your device) can seep into your devices vital parts and create an electrical short etc.
Agreed. No way around the sand issue if you are trying to actually use your phone at the beach. For the salt air and water, couldn't you just dunk it in clean water when you got home and let it dry out?

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
For the salt air and water, couldn't you just dunk it in clean water when you got home and let it dry out?
You could.. but nothing would be accomplished.. meaning that once salt, salted water or a saline solutions has entered the PC boards of your devices all bets are off.. the device within 2 or 3 years may up and stop functioning because of the corrosion left behind due to humid or moist conditions. One reason these devices are so expensive and only last a few years.. it's called engineered obsolescence or engineered to be obsolete within 2 or 3 years.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
You could.. but nothing would be accomplished.. meaning that once salt, salted water or a saline solutions has entered the PC boards of your devices all bets are off.. the device within 2 or 3 years may up and stop functioning because of the corrosion left behind due to humid or moist conditions. One reason these devices are so expensive and only last a few years.. it's called engineered obsolescence or engineered to be obsolete within 2 or 3 years.

How would that make its way inside if it's waterproof?

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I'll answer your question with a question:

Approximately, how many devices (Smart Phones, Tablets, Cameras etc) are currently "waterproof"?.

Based on your answer and how a typical or average person maintains or cares for these devices.. what percentage of these waterproof devices actually end up being waterproof in the long run..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1