10-05-2016 04:43 PM
79 1234
tools
    Gizmodo needs to call ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, CNN, FBI, FAA, CPSC, PETA, AAA and any other acronym. ASAP.

Hey, they can use the same flaming Jeep picture. Gotta drama
    09-29-2016 05:41 PM
    I was most likely either an isolated case or the device may have been tampered with. I doubt we will see more iPhone 7's catching fire.
    09-29-2016 05:54 PM
    BGR = BS! Nothing more to say here.

iPhone 7: Exploding Apple iPhone 7 shown in photos | BGR

Like Neil from The Young Ones would say (great British show BTW): Boomshanka!

Will the media and Gment latch onto this with the same fevah' as with Samsung? The media were all-in early and without verification for that.

We gettin' the Jeep Guy Effect here too?
    09-29-2016 06:27 PM
    Looks like shipping damage to me.

Look at the damage on the phone itself. It's bent in a spot near the battery. That may have physically damaged the battery, potentially puncturing it and causing it to ignite.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-29-2016 06:57 PM
    I vote +1 to enact the Skynet Clause of the Roommate Agreement.
    Media Warrior likes this.
    09-29-2016 07:21 PM
    So basically every incident will be blown out of proportion just like the Note 7 no matter the manufacturer.

Its odd considering lemon phones been blowing up for a long time now.
    09-29-2016 09:46 PM
    No spontaneous explosion. Shipping company damage. Move along people. LOL

Edited to add: Unless this was left at his door, why would he accept that package in that condition?!
    09-29-2016 09:47 PM
    Looks like shipping damage to me.

Look at the damage on the phone itself. It's bent in a spot near the battery. That may have physically damaged the battery, potentially puncturing it and causing it to ignite.
    I agree with this.
    09-29-2016 10:19 PM
    And I've read reports that this one issue will "threaten a recall".

You can't be serious, journalists......
    Almeuit, libra89 and dsignori like this.
    09-29-2016 10:34 PM
    iPhone 7: Exploding Apple iPhone 7 shown in photos | BGR

Like Neil from The Young Ones would say (great British show BTW): Boomshanka!

Will the media and Gment latch onto this with the same fevah' as with Samsung? The media were all-in early and without verification for that.

We gettin' the Jeep Guy Effect here too?
    I personally think its just some guy who wants to get media attention and try jump on the bandwagon of the Note 7. I personally wouldn't pay too much attention to it.
    09-30-2016 02:42 AM
    Seems more and more like it's shipping damage.

Apple will be expediting a replacement.

09-30-2016 05:37 AM
    I have a feeling this is being test by some private sector in an attempt to see if these devices can ignite other flammable sources while in transit.. it's smart phones and tablets now.. who's to say when it moves to cameras and other power equipment all in an effort to jeopardize the safety of our communities.

My wife asks me this just moments ago via text:
    (7:37:33 AM) GraceInTransit: I wonder what nationalities the people this is happening to?
    Good question dear.. could be a localized area or world wide.. either way.. we're dealing with inferior parts, inferior installers or hidden agendas within the already installed parts in many of our devices and products. The next thing to occur and has already started is that airlines are banning many of these devices from their airline services.. cameras or other devices which contain separate power supplies would be next on the list.. who's to say if your smart watch or even your hearing aid could contain this hidden agenda battery or component..
    09-30-2016 06:40 AM
    BGR is like a tabloid for techies...or the TMZ of the tech world. I don't frequent that site often because every time I've been, there was some crap story that a 6 year old could punch holes in.
    09-30-2016 06:59 AM
    That doesn't mean it is in the iPhone 7, which as far as I remember has been reported to be by ATL only.
    09-30-2016 07:06 AM
    Lithium batteries if punctured will explode. It is just the way that technology is. That is definitely shipping damage.
    09-30-2016 07:24 AM
    (noting that this is BGR) it would be pretty wild if this is true. Maybe skynet is rising through anything with a lithium battery.
    the new WMD
    09-30-2016 08:13 AM
    Its a simple case of shipping damage. Looks like something quite nasty happened to the thing in transit and it bent the phone. That's really bad juju when it comes to the battery... any sort of physical damage to the cell can cause it to fail and, in many cases, catch on fire.

There's a youtube video where someone took a hammer to a phone to 'test' the shatter resistance of the screen. The make and model doesn't matter, but after smashing the screen, he turned it over and took a few whacks at the back. After a couple of shots, you could see the phone immediately start to swell and then the battery went all Vesuvius and shot out of frame.

Perhaps the benefit of the Samsung recall will be that people will finally start to treat their phones with a minimum level of care and respect, rather than treat them like Fisher Price toys.
    Jona005 likes this.
    09-30-2016 08:22 AM
    Is this a joke?
    09-30-2016 09:06 AM
    No fires this time.

Now iPhone 7 apparently Exploding-iphone-7-plus-battery-explosion-1.jpg

Seriously, I just hope that this reinforces the idea that lithium batteries are not perfect and that defects WILL occur on anything with a lithium battery. They're volatile in nature, and if they are punctured or heated too much, they can rupture and in worst-cases, ignite.

Since we've been asking for higher capacity batteries packed in more dense sizes, the margin for error is getting smaller and smaller. And if something goes wrong, the potential outcome would likely be greater.
    09-30-2016 11:07 AM
    Lithium batteries if punctured will explode. It is just the way that technology is. That is definitely shipping damage.
    You apparently do not understand online forums. You are clearly posting common sense & that will not be tolerated. Common sense deflates dramatic headlines, turns tin foil hat tuning to something recyclable & the biggest issue is you cannot begin bashing others.
    09-30-2016 12:26 PM
    Two incidents already... These and future ones will all be "shipping damage" to Apple fans. Some sites covering the iPhone 7 explosions have gone as far as to call lithium battery explosions "normal," where as with Samsung it was Armageddon.
    09-30-2016 01:09 PM
    Poor Apple fans. 😂
    Attached Thumbnails Now iPhone 7 apparently Exploding-1399.jpg  
    Wiley_11 likes this.
    09-30-2016 01:20 PM
    Two incidents already... These and future ones will all be "shipping damage" to Apple fans. Some sites covering the iPhone 7 explosions have gone as far as to call lithium battery explosions "normal," where as with Samsung it was Armageddon.
    Well, they are right. Phones do go all volcano from time to time. But the issues Samsung had was a matter of frequency... all phones have incidents of fires like this, but they are random and sporadic.. Murphy's Law sort of incidents caused by a laundry list of reasons; cheap charging gear, damage, etc. Samsung had a hundred or so in a span of a couple of weeks that were traced back to a specific manufacturing defect.
    libra89, jbcatl, Breuklen and 2 others like this.
    09-30-2016 01:25 PM
    Just watched a local news report of an iPhone 6 exploding in a guys pocket as he was sitting in a college class, and reached for a pen. It burned a hole on his jeans. Trying to find a link, but it doesn't look like they published the story on their website. Of course the referenced the Note 7 recall in the story too.
    09-30-2016 05:15 PM
    Looks like someone gave that phone the people's elbow 😅
    09-30-2016 07:14 PM
79 1234