Who uses or cares about the LED notification?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'll set up Light Manager and give it a try, but it would be nice if I could set different colors for my different Gmail accounts. I'm usually close enough to see the AOD though so I'm not sure if I'll get much use out of it.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'll set up Light Manager and give it a try, but it would be nice if I could set different colors for my different Gmail accounts. I'm usually close enough to see the AOD though so I'm not sure if I'll get much use out of it.
I use k9 mail and you can set different colors for different email accounts.

WalkingHorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I used to rely on the LED notifications and also used Lightflow back in the day. As others have said from across the room it's handy vs AOD. But now that I have notifications on my wrist (watch) it really is redundant. I LOVE the AOD. Never would have thought that feature to be of much use but it is for me. It does seem odd that there isn't a way to set specific colors for LED notifications within each app without an addon by now. Would be so very useful for many.

LyricalNonsense

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
I had the notifications light on for a while. But it wasn't very helpful as my phone is always near. And even if the light wasn't blinking, I would still check it.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

Lightflow can do this. You just set up each account in lightflow with the options you want.

Agree that it would be nice if Samsung allowed some LED personalization. Getting the SAME tone for ALL Now notifications doesn't tell me anything. Using Lightflow, being able to change sounds for the different notification possibilities is very helpful. I know when I hear that car horn and see a fast flashing blue light I need to get my butt out the door. But the light little nudge chime with a slow pulse light means I just have a reminder "to do".

w7sg

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
On my old phones before there were AODs and the Motorola active display I relied on the LED to tell if I had any messages. ON this phone with the AOD I'm not sure why it's even there and feel like I ought to just disable it as its kind of redundant and there is better info on the AOD. It might be a little more useful if I could control the color of it from within each app. I have no idea what it's random colors mean.

What's everyone else's experience and thoughts on it?

I love my little blue light :) My 1st Android was a Note 3. Unfortunately, because it's GPS was crap, I had to turn it in. I missed the notification.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
One my favorite things about blackberry. I find it weird that android doesnt have the option built in like BB did. My lg g2 gave me options for some things like msgs, missed calls, charge level, but not note 5 or 7..

Used to Set my fav contacts to a certain color. Turn off led all together for other things. My main msg apps are textra and whatsapp those give you the option to change.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm using lightflow and it is great. You will need the legacy version. I wanted a green LED for texts and prefer/like the stock messenger which defaults to blue, and I wanted red for calendar events. Even better... You can set different notifications for different Google Now information. I have a car horn for "time to leave", etc. It's a very robust program and no root required.

Are you using the sleep setting at all? I have not gotten mine to work. Also, do you get the ads with the legacy version?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I just wish Samsung offered the option of turning LED notifications off while in do not disturb mode. I have not been able to get light flow put the LEDs to sleep, even when it is set to go to sleep during Samsung DND.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've used LightFlow in the past. Heck, I loved it so much I bought the full version... Totally worth it.

I did not use it on my Note 5 and now my Note 7 because I have an Android Wear watch and I get all my notifications that I need on there.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Are you using the sleep setting at all? I have not gotten mine to work. Also, do you get the ads with the legacy version?
I use it at night but I open "nightclock" which is an app that has a "sleep" setting. So when it's next to my bed I turn sleep on and haven't had an issue with the LEDs, but the only notifications I get via LED are appointments (not happening while I'm asleep), text messages (I'm old and boring...everyone I know is asleep when I'm asleep), and reminders (I don't need to remember to do anything in the middle of the night so I'm good there). I do NOT want to miss phone calls, so I don't limit those at all. I know some use a white list but the fact of the matter is, if I'm getting a phone call in the middle of the night it's most likely someone in BIG distress and they likely aren't calling from their own phone. So I'm o.k. with any call coming through and thankfully I never seem to get misdials.

I had paid for the full version back a l-o-n-g time ago so I contacted the developer and he gave me a one-time code to use to download/install the "unlock" key. So I don't see any ads. Basically if you buy the key the ads should go away?

TL;DR: No. No.

:p

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I suspect it is useful to some people, but not me. For example, someone who is hard of hearing or deaf might like it a lot. It might also be useful if you work in a noisy environment where you might not hear a ring or vibration. At night driving in the car it could be useful, but I prefer not to get distracted while driving.

kdklein

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
On my old phones before there were AODs and the Motorola active display I relied on the LED to tell if I had any messages. ON this phone with the AOD I'm not sure why it's even there and feel like I ought to just disable it as its kind of redundant and there is better info on the AOD. It might be a little more useful if I could control the color of it from within each app. I have no idea what it's random colors mean.

What's everyone else's experience and thoughts on it?
AOD is worthless and wastes battery life. I use the led.

Antony Guan

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I love the notification LED! When the light lights up a certain color I'll know which notification it is and to decide if I should open it or not.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
... Don't know how I haven't come across this thread until now.

I LOVE my LED notifications. I love them so much. I can't emphasize how much I need them. My BlackBerry devices introduced me to them, and now whenever I get a new phone, that's one of their must-have requirements. Sometimes if I'm busy or at work and only have a second, a quick look to see if my LED light (and, if so, what colour it is) is blinking will alert me to the fact that I should check my lockscreen soon to see what's up.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That is doable. Use different apps for each account.

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
If you dont like Light manager, (I've never used it) Light Flow is one of the top apps for this and has been around for over three years, probably more. I feel like I've been using it forever. You dont need root access.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20