10-03-2016 02:37 PM
31 12
tools
    So, I picked up a new Note7 last Thursday (a week ago) and my battery has been unbelievably bad. I've had around 2 hours screen on time almost every day. I contacted Samsung support and they keep telling me to shut off features, etc. I didn't buy a $900 phone to have to handicap it to get through the day on a battery charge.

At this point I'm considering switch to another phone altogether but I guess I'm here wondering if folks have any sage words before I do something drastic. I've run package disabler to shut down bloat, but only just recently. Battery seems a little better, but it's 2:30pm here and I'm down to 65% battery, which seems terrible for a 3000mah battery and only 1hour and 20 minutes screen on time. At this rate I'll get about 2.5 hours SCT.

Thoughts?
    09-30-2016 03:08 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

1. Factory reset it
    2. After FR, if still not improved....return/exchange.
    skatergirl and RobertP1 like this.
    09-30-2016 03:12 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

1. Factory reset it
    2. After FR, if still not improved....return/exchange.
    I agree. Also, have you checked your battery stats for any pesky app that might be draining the battery?
    09-30-2016 03:15 PM
    Yeah, There hasn't been anything unusual in terms of battery hogs. It just goes down by a percent every minute or so when I'm using it.

Factory reset...ugh. So much to set up again...
    09-30-2016 03:21 PM
    Yeah, There hasn't been anything unusual in terms of battery hogs. It just goes down by a percent every minute or so when I'm using it.

You'll have to setup everything again anyways with a new phone. Just don't put a lot on there until you determine its not your phone.
    09-30-2016 03:31 PM
    Good point!
    09-30-2016 03:33 PM

No. That's the point. Don't install any apps, unless the're absolutely necessary, until you've verified that the battery is fine. Then only install one app per day until you find the culprit.
    dc52ltr likes this.
    09-30-2016 05:19 PM
    Did a factory reset and installed basics...one app per day. Been rock solid 4 to 5 SOT per day with lots to spare. I have it narrowed down to MSN Finance App...Outlook and maybe Garmin Connect. Those seemed to be the culprits for me.
    09-30-2016 07:00 PM
    My new Note 7 2.0 has great battery life except when using Google Maps.
    09-30-2016 07:34 PM
    Although my new Note 7 has no issue whatsoever, there seem to be more and more reports of others with the battery draining issue.

Samsung/Android should really optimize and make their software more robust to rogue apps (assuming that's the cause) instead of users having to hunt down the cause themselves, especially for those of us who only download apps from the official Play store.
    dcooper830 likes this.
    09-30-2016 08:56 PM
    My LG G3 and G4 batteries were toast. I even bought a replacement for my G4. I still could only get maybe nine hours out of the phone with under 3 hours SOT.

By comparison, this Note 7 which I only received yesterday, has been much better. I'm currently at 73% with 2:20 SOT.

I run Google Play Music and Waze whenever I drive too. Oh and as far as KABOOM goes, I was watching YouTube in HD WHILE quick charging (OEM charger) and the phone BARELY got warm.

I have auto brightness set, screen time out at 30 seconds night mode on any app I can set it and very dark wallpapers. I have always on display on though I turned off the edge screen clock and date (which is too bad because that looks so slick).
    10-01-2016 01:52 PM
    Although my new Note 7 has no issue whatsoever, there seem to be more and more reports of others with the battery draining issue.

Samsung/Android should really optimize and make their software more robust to rogue apps (assuming that's the cause) instead of users having to hunt down the cause themselves, especially for those of us who only download apps from the official Play store.
    Yes, I get pretty good battery life also. 5-6 hours SOT, easily. I've seen some people complain about Samsung RAM management closing apps aggressively. I've always suspected, Samsung does that to reduce the impact of rogue/misbehaving apps.

Before doing a FDR, I suggest the OP try:
    - Clearing device cache
    - Give it a few days to settle down. If you loaded a lot of old data from your last phone, your new phone will need to index and back up all that.

Not sure these will help, but may be worth a try.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    10-01-2016 05:52 PM
    My new Note 7 2.0 has great battery life except when using Google Maps.
    Set to FHD. Map gpu hunger much less and normal battery drain for the app. I can not tell the difference with FHD and still smokes the Plus.

At least 20% more SOT with FHD. Even more if use a lot of heavy gpu apps.
    mmohn01 likes this.
    10-01-2016 05:56 PM
    I don't have a Note 7, my wife does though. It also sounds like the OP has the issue resolved but for future reference...

The built in battery stats in some devices, like my Moto Z, sucks. GSM Battery Monitor in needed to find wayward apps.
    I traced my problem down to a widget.
    10-01-2016 08:09 PM
    My battery has been excellent. Been getting almost 8 hours of SOT and 2 days of a charge.
    Viscomi4444 likes this.
    10-01-2016 08:40 PM
    So, I picked up a new Note7 last Thursday (a week ago) and my battery has been unbelievably bad. I've had around 2 hours screen on time almost every day. I contacted Samsung support and they keep telling me to shut off features, etc. I didn't buy a $900 phone to have to handicap it to get through the day on a battery charge.

At this point I'm considering switch to another phone altogether but I guess I'm here wondering if folks have any sage words before I do something drastic. I've run package disabler to shut down bloat, but only just recently. Battery seems a little better, but it's 2:30pm here and I'm down to 65% battery, which seems terrible for a 3000mah battery and only 1hour and 20 minutes screen on time. At this rate I'll get about 2.5 hours SCT.

Thoughts?
    I think something is up, either an app eating battery or some other issue. As I'm typing this I have 60% battery left and my SOT is 2h 55min. The phone has been off the charger for nearly 5hrs but I've been gaming for a solid 2h.
    10-01-2016 08:46 PM
    For the OP, do you get much better battery life with other / previous phones?

1.5 hours of SOT after 7 hours at 2:30 - at 65% battery left - doesn't sound awful to me. That equates to over 3 hours of SOT , which could be fine, depending on a number of other factors unique to each user. In any case "abysmal" might not be how I would describe it perhaps.

How is your network connection? What was your screen brightness? If it were me, I wouldn't panic as it doesn't seem that bad to me.
    10-01-2016 09:27 PM
    It would be helpful if you can share the battery graph, usage bars and provide a description of your usage pattern.

I always tell users to not only share SOT numbers, but also overall device uptime, battery graph and roughly how your usage pattern is like as it paints a better picture of how a battery should theoretically perform since we can add more factors.

SOT directly correlates to usage pattern. 12 hours of SOT might sound impressive, but if it's 12 hours from constantly watching a movie until it drains, that's not as impressive as 12 hours of SOT from normal use (though that depends on what you constitute as "normal use")

Should I switch?: New Note 7 Battery abysmal, Samsung not helpful-screenshot_20161002-165259.jpg Should I switch?: New Note 7 Battery abysmal, Samsung not helpful-screenshot_20161002-165308.jpg
    edubb256 and RadeonHD4250 like this.
    10-02-2016 03:57 AM
    Before doing the FDR, have you considered rebooting into safe mode? That will help you to differentiate a system issue from an app issue.
    10-02-2016 09:28 AM
    ...another Note7 chiming in with great battery life and approx 175 apps installed. I'm betting it's one of your apps.
    10-02-2016 01:56 PM
    i'm still using the recalled note, and after the latest update, i'm amazed at the battery life. i got 8 hours of screen time yesterday! i'd get half that with the s7 edge.
    10-02-2016 10:53 PM
    Ditch that Note 7 and get a Moto Z Play if battery is your main concern! With 2 hrs SOT on that thing under normal usage I'd only be down to 80%at worst haha.

The SD625 in the Z Play is the truth. Hyper efficient on battery, and can still run my PS1 emulator and Minecraft PE for extended periods of time perfectly while barely getting warm.
    10-03-2016 01:32 AM
    I'm on the same boat as you. I picked up a new Note 7 last week and was using it for 1 week. Battery life was horrible. I was only getting about 9 Hours, not enough to last me a full day of work plus some needed time at home to use it withouth worrying about charging it. I exchanged it and got another one. This is my 2nd day with it and I am still only getting about 9 hours of usage. Does yours also drain about 1% each minute from a fully charged 100%, cause mine does and then it stables out once it gets to 95%?

After reading what others say, they say to check some app? How can I tell which app could be the culprit?

Please advise because after seeing some people getting over 30+ hours, I am just perplexed as to how they can be getting that.
    10-03-2016 02:48 AM

Same here. Battery seems to drain every minute I use it. Have you tried a factory reset and see if that helped? Let me know your results
    10-03-2016 02:59 AM
    Im not a fan of the size of phone but this review of V20 make the phone sound really appealing and the battery life at least standby time sounds insane.

Ditch that Note 7 and get a Moto Z Play if battery is your main concern! With 2 hrs SOT on that thing under normal usage I'd only be down to 80%at worst haha.

The SD625 in the Z Play is the truth. Hyper efficient on battery, and can still run my PS1 emulator and Minecraft PE for extended periods of time perfectly while barely getting warm.
    10-03-2016 06:34 AM
31 12