Instant Iris!

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
It might be the case that all of you use the Iris scanner in what is probably the proper way, but I only recently discovered it. Now, using Samsung Pay in busy check-outs is freakin' delightful! Thought I'd share in the event others haven't tried this.

My old way:
Holding my N7 down in front of me, about waist level, I touch the Iris scanning button, I lift the N7 up to face level and get my eyes to line-up right inside of the "mask" screen. I move it closer a little, I move it out a little, somtimes, it acquires my iris pattern. Sometimes it takes a second try, or at least a few seconds of looking like a dork moving my phone around in front of my face. And hey, when you look like me (see Avatar), you are already garnering more than your fair share of attention.

New way:
Holding my N7 up at eye level at the proper distance for scanning, I touch the Iris scanning button and the scan is instant - I typically don't even see the mask screen. Takes a nanosecond - seems automatic. I chuckle.

Again, maybe I am just catching up, but it seemed far more intuitive to me to press the Iris scan button holding the phone normally and then bringing it up to acquire my iris - but this doesn't work as well. It seems less intuitive to hold the phone up in front of my face and then to press the button - but it works like magic. Sure, there's still "dork" potential, but it's so instantaneous, it's easier to do on the dl.

Last edited:

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Fingerprint is still the fastest way when using Samsung pay, IMO. The time it takes to touch the iris button, you could just touch the fingerprint scanner and be done... Flip card up with thumb and place thumb on fingerprint scanner, boom your ready to pay

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I get that.

But for me, I have really dry skin, and fingerprint scanning, even as good as it is on the N7, was seldom fast, and often didn't work. Iris scanning is instant for me.

Good thing we have both!

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
My replacement is super fast as well

My original Note would sometimes say " open your eyes wider " and I would giggle cause I would always think it was discriminating me since I'm Asian haaaaa !!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech