Will there be an unlocked Note 7 soon?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering has anyone heard about when the unlocked Note 7 will be sold? The s7 Edge unlocked hit Best Buy back in July 4 months after the Edge been out.

The reason why I ask is because their unlocked phones are usually a bit cheaper than Tmobile (my carrier) phones and the Tmobile version I hear seems to be having battery drain issues on the new units, plus I don't want bloatware.

Before Christmas do you think they could hit the market?

IF it is a decent price or a best Buy promotion going on, I might consider it since I can trade in my S7 backup phone and tablet towards it. Their edge unlocked depending on color was about 40 bucks cheaper than Tmobile.

Does wifi calling work on the unlocked US versions?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Word of caution (I feel like a broken record but I don't think this can be said too many times)...on T-Mobile w the unlocked S7 wifi calling worked great. You will NOT have wifi calling on Verizon, however. Or at least the unlocked S7 didn't. If wifi calling is important to you I know Verizon didn't work, I know T-Mobile did work, and I don't know about AT&T or any other carriers.

I think the way Verizon implements wifi is tied to their damn bloatware...rather than using the capabilities of the phone I think they've monkeyed with the software (BIG SURPRISE there). I'm sure it can be done, but not without jumping through some hoops. I'm over my days of Odin and flashing and rooting and all that stuff. So if it doesn't work out of the box or without an app installation then forget it.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Word of caution (I feel like a broken record but I don't think this can be said too many times)...on T-Mobile w the unlocked S7 wifi calling worked great. You will NOT have wifi calling on Verizon, however. Or at least the unlocked S7 didn't. If wifi calling is important to you I know Verizon didn't work, I know T-Mobile did work, and I don't know about AT&T or any other carriers.

I think the way Verizon implements wifi is tied to their damn bloatware...rather than using the capabilities of the phone I think they've monkeyed with the software (BIG SURPRISE there). I'm sure it can be done, but not without jumping through some hoops. I'm over my days of Odin and flashing and rooting and all that stuff. So if it doesn't work out of the box or without an app installation then forget it.

I heard that too about Verizon. Verizon seems to have the most bloatware on them.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

The Best Buy s7 edge unlocked doesn't even list Verizon as a compatible carrier with the phone. Probably explains no wifi calling.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
The Best Buy s7 edge unlocked doesn't even list Verizon as a compatible carrier with the phone. Probably explains no wifi calling.

That's interesting. I don't remember now if Verizon was listed for the S7 but it definitely worked. As far as bloatware goes...I don't think Verizon installs more than any other carrier for the most part...and the true bloat stuff can be disabled so I'm actually o.k. with that. It's them monkeying with the intended functionality of the phone as it is from the manufacturer that pisses me off. A good example of this is them taking away Samsung cloud in favor of bloating the phone with their own cloud. Which I disabled...but then I don't have an option to use Samsung at all if I want to. So I don't care they gave me their cloud but I REALLY care they took away Samsung Cloud, which every other Note 7 out there has access to.

ETA: I know I can make a shortcut to the Samsung Cloud activity but I always get errors so I'm not trusting it's doing what it does "out of the box" for other carriers.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
That's interesting. I don't remember now if Verizon was listed for the S7 but it definitely worked. As far as bloatware goes...I don't think Verizon installs more than any other carrier for the most part...and the true bloat stuff can be disabled so I'm actually o.k. with that. It's them monkeying with the intended functionality of the phone as it is from the manufacturer that pisses me off. A good example of this is them taking away Samsung cloud in favor of bloating the phone with their own cloud. Which I disabled...but then I don't have an option to use Samsung at all if I want to. So I don't care they gave me their cloud but I REALLY care they took away Samsung Cloud, which every other Note 7 out there has access to.

ETA: I know I can make a shortcut to the Samsung Cloud activity but I always get errors so I'm not trusting it's doing what it does "out of the box" for other carriers.

How were the updates for it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2