10-05-2016 05:14 PM
66 123
tools
    Wow, good point. This is my first N7 on AT&T and the box is not the black box that I see people unboxing before the recall. I guess they got cheap when they sent out the new safe ones huh?
    I seem to recall someone from art complaining about the box the phone came in pre-recall as well.
    10-03-2016 09:35 AM
    If it wasn't "a big deal" you wouldn't have posted concerning it. Does the phone work as expected? Do the ear buds function OK? If "yes" to both questions, then a crappy box and bud case are unimportant. Would you rather have the reverse scenario?
    If the consumer was hoping for one thing and got another, it's important to them. If it's not important to you, fine. But that doesn't mean it's not important to other people. If you bought a Note 7 from me and I handed it to you covered in horse manure and it worked fine, would you care?
    libra89 likes this.
    10-03-2016 09:38 AM
    If it wasn't "a big deal" you wouldn't have posted concerning it.
    So we are only allowed to post things that are "big deals." Was not aware that people should keep minor annoyances to ourselves.
    10-03-2016 09:59 AM
    The price on the Samsung website for a AT&T Note 7 is $879.99. A higher price than any other carrier. At that price, I would expect my phone and included accessories to come in packaging that doesn't resemble that of a refurbished item.
    Well, as Jerry is fond of saying, next time, vote with your wallet. If a nice box matters that much to you (and truthfully, it really IS a nice box), then go with a carrier who does that.
    10-03-2016 09:59 AM
    I would hope that AT&T takes note (no pun intended) of the packaging issue with that iPhone 7 that had damage during shipping and reconsiders re-boxing devices to what looks like cheap replacements for when you used to buy a used video game and they gave you a generic case to go with it.

Not to say that, that iPhone was not in the OEM box, but that box seemed to hold up a lot better than I would expect these crappy AT&T replacement boxes to hold up had a Note 7 had the same issue during shipping.
    10-03-2016 10:05 AM
    We were with Verizon but my fiance gets an AT&T discount so we switched
    10-03-2016 10:05 AM
    Well, as Jerry is fond of saying, next time, vote with your wallet. If a nice box matters that much to you (and truthfully, it really IS a nice box), then go with a carrier who does that.
    I did vote with my wallet, I'm on Verizon and have the packaging, one would expect to have with a $900 electronic item....
    Serkle K and LegalAmerican like this.
    10-03-2016 10:08 AM
    AT&T's packaging for the Note 7 is weird.

What's funny is that the S7 on AT&T came in that black box that everyone else uses.
    10-03-2016 10:09 AM
    AT&T's packaging for the Note 7 is weird.

What's funny is that the S7 on AT&T came in that black box that everyone else uses.
    I am one who is annoyed by the box fiasco. So when I traded in my Note for the S7 Edge loaner, I made sure to keep the nice headphone box and extra headphone silicon sleeves. So when I traded my S7 edge back in for the new Note 7, I now at least have the nice headphone box.
    10-03-2016 10:13 AM
    I am one who is annoyed by the box fiasco. So when I traded in my Note for the S7 Edge loaner, I made sure to keep the nice headphone box and extra headphone silicon sleeves. So when I traded my S7 edge back in for the new Note 7, I now at least have the nice headphone box.
    I'm not one to gloat about packaging, but considering that AT&T charges $880 for the Note 7 (more than other carriers), that sort of packaging is actually kinda insulting from an impressions and presentation standpoint.

It just feels at home in a $50 cheapskate prepaid phone you'd find at Walmart. Not for a near-$900 top-of-the-line cutting-edge flagship.
    Joeykool, keepnitreel and Serkle K like this.
    10-03-2016 10:17 AM
    Why we discussing boxes for? And hasn't this been the norm for AT&T to include their own packaging?
    10-03-2016 10:47 AM
    Why we discussing boxes for? And hasn't this been the norm for AT&T to include their own packaging?
    We just switched to AT&T do it's new to me. But like someone said.... My fiance got an S7 and it came with the nice black box and the nice case.
    10-03-2016 11:05 AM
    Sadly AT&T does that. Not sure why but they like to have their own fancy box.
    10-03-2016 11:12 AM
    I wouldn't think it's plausible for someone to easily switch carriers on a whim, especially if you have multiple lines of service.
    It just goes with the territory. If you have AT&T, it's just something you learn to deal with. Just like Verizon with their logo all over everything. If a logo is so important to you, don't use Verizon. This is like the headphones issue with the Note5 where some carriers omitted them.
    I'm sure this packaging annoyance only affects less than .5% of customers.
    It might annoy me as well as everyone should be getting the same product. But, not enough to make me switch carriers.
    10-03-2016 11:18 AM
    10-03-2016 11:33 AM
    When I buy iphones from ATT, they do not change OEM box that Apple sells them in. This is my first switch to a Samsung device and I am quite confused as to why ATT changes the box. For someone like me who showcases all the phone boxes that I have, the N7 box is something I definitely would not want to showcase.

If I had bought it directly from Samsung, would it have been in the black box? Just for future reference.
    10-03-2016 11:54 AM
    We discussed this in depth before, and I think it's safe to say that the people who don't care about the packaging, will never understand those of us who do. That's totally fair, and I can even understand why that would be the case.

My question remains, however......what is the purpose of changing the packaging?

I was more annoyed by it with my Note 4 because they didn't include the headphones that everyone else got. I know the headphones are cheap, but it still really is annoying. With the Note 7, at least they included everything. However, to me it just feels like it's their way of reminding us who is in charge, and like they are putting their giant corporate foot on our heads and holding it on the ground. I just don't see a reason for it.

If it bothered me THAT bad, I would switch for sure. It doesn't. But it does still bother me because I don't see a good reason for doing it. No one else does.
    10-03-2016 12:04 PM
    I'm sure it saves ATT some money... As little as it may be... More profit for them at the end of the day considering the price of the phone.
    10-03-2016 12:23 PM
    But yet my fiances S7 had the black box and the earbud case from AT&T and we just got them Friday night at best buy
    10-03-2016 12:26 PM
    I'm sure it saves ATT some money... As little as it may be... More profit for them at the end of the day considering the price of the phone.
    And if that's the case, they are a trashy company because they already charge us more than anyone else.
    keepnitreel and Serkle K like this.
    10-03-2016 12:34 PM
    Wow... now ppl even complain about the stupid box it comes in?

Once you take out the phone and use it, why are you even looking at the box anymore??
    10-03-2016 12:35 PM
    i got mine from sprint and the replacement box was identical to the old one. except for a tiny black square on the imei label.
    Maybe ATT didnt want to pay for the extra luxuries?
    Same on T-mobile
    10-03-2016 12:43 PM
    But yet my fiances S7 had the black box and the earbud case from AT&T and we just got them Friday night at best buy
    Looks like it didn't apply to S7 phones on att. Other att note 7 users got the crappy box. It is what it is it seems.
    10-03-2016 12:57 PM

Once you take out the phone and use it, why are you even looking at the box anymore??
    I compared the box.... it's the earbud case that would have been nice to have.
    10-03-2016 01:39 PM

I'm on Verizon. If I switched to AT&T and got a different style box than others, I'd start questioning whether they were selling new or refurbished units at full price. Typically, products are sold in the same packaging no matter the retailer; only refurbs and the like that are sold in different packaging. So while it doesn't impact the function of the device, I can see why this is a cause for concern to new customers.
    Delirious D likes this.
    10-03-2016 02:54 PM
66 123