Note 7 vs Google Pixels - Staying with N7!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
But I will say that except with the updated specs of sd821 and camera which I find modest updates

Thanks to Qualcomm, the 820 > 821 upgrade path is huge. They will support a new version of Open GL and enhanced Vulkan on the 821, but not the 820 which is clearly capable. This matters for an OS that was designed for the specific use of the newer versions of both. Samsung will probably offer extended support for the Exynos processor, but if history is any indicator, Qualcomm will not and we'll see the 820 left behind soon. Just like the Nexus 5, or the Xperia Z3 was with Android 7 even though they could run the beta, or like they tried to do with the Nexus 7 two years ago.

Blame $$ and a greedy company.

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I want to like my N7 but I am experiencing poor battery performance/battery drain. Thought maybe the Pixel would have a good battery life as well but from what I ready, only 7 hours??

Will continue to use my N7 for the 14 days return policy and will decide afterwards. Might just go back to my trusty iphone 6s plus..
Pretty sure the pixel has better than a 7 hr battery life. The feature that everyone is talking about is that a 15 minute fast charge will add 7 hrs of battery life on the pixel.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Pretty sure the pixel has better than a 7 hr battery life. The feature that everyone is talking about is that a 15 minute fast charge will add 7 hrs of battery life on the pixel.

What does 7 hrs of battery life means anyway? 7 hrs of standby, 1 hr SOT + 6 hrs standby... or?

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
What does 7 hrs of battery life means anyway? 7 hrs of standby, 1 hr SOT + 6 hrs standby... or?

Exactly.

Side effect of living in a society with a stupid populace. Google obviously can't say it charges from 10% to 50% in 15 minutes so they have to give us the specifications in terms people will understand.

7 hours of battery life in 15 minutes doesn't mean jack to me. I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: battery... I think the both phones will do pretty well in that department... Google wouldn't come out and mention it specifically unless there was something to it.

They didn't go into a lot of detail on the phone, other than some standout features. They boasted about the camera and the first review out of the box taps it as the best phone camera ever tested. Based on that, I'm expecting the XL's power usage to at least meet what the Note 7 can do.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to Qualcomm, the 820 > 821 upgrade path is huge. They will support a new version of Open GL and enhanced Vulkan on the 821, but not the 820 which is clearly capable. This matters for an OS that was designed for the specific use of the newer versions of both. Samsung will probably offer extended support for the Exynos processor, but if history is any indicator, Qualcomm will not and we'll see the 820 left behind soon. Just like the Nexus 5, or the Xperia Z3 was with Android 7 even though they could run the beta, or like they tried to do with the Nexus 7 two years ago.

Blame $$ and a greedy company.

True, but I think everything will boil down to adoption. This s821 device sure as hell isn't going to see mass adoption, even by "Nexus" standards...not at the current price point and purchasing options (unlocked or from Verizon). Not that anyone has too too much to worry about API wise :). It's not like there are any mobile games pushing the bounds of graphics capability or were all clawing to to get 30 or 60fps or some absurd arbitrary resolution (a la the PC master race/console war). Most mobile games are rendered and upscaled from 720p, the ones that do manage native resolution perform terribly anyway (Real Racing, I'm looking at you here) or offer IQ that benefits from features were years away from in mobile...not iterative generation devices...

cactuspete23

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
So far, I've not heard anything about the Pixels that is really impressive. Perhaps I am getting overload from all the new phones,that seem to have similar specs ?

theshaz

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I have owned every Nexus in the past.. when many mfg's were competing for market share with unique features and one-upping each other on specs each cycle.. but that game is over now, and Samsung smashed the competition. Not even Apple can compete anymore.

No more HTC.. no more Nexus.. no more LG.. no more slings, no more weapons, no more systems, NO MORE.. SUPER POWERS

It's all Samsung for me.

Funny you say that. This Note 7 of mine is the 9th or 10th Android phone for me going back to the Droid from Motorola. For a while there HTC made some really nice phones and I at the time thought they were #2 in design innovation to Apple.....then Samsung and their Note series arrived. That and also the amoled screen technology they developed.

I have been a Galaxy Note user since the Note 3, I am so comfortable with the size, that when I see other non phablets I cannot picture myself using something that small.

SAMSUNG did a pretty good job with the recall situation. I know its been a tough couple of months for he company but judging at the number of people rushing to the Carrier stores the other weekend when the 1st replacements arrived....... USA TODAY's bogus article of only 18% of Note 7 users are going to stay with the Note 7 - the article got blown up (And the media wonder why we don't trust/like them anymore)

I hope HTC can get it going again and make something marketable. The more viable manufacturer's the better the competition to drive innovation.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
People here are comparing to the Note 7 because it is a Note 7 forum. People here, mostly, own or are thinking about buying one. The comparison is relevant for that reason. I was interested in the XL today because I can still return my Note if I was interested. In the end, I am not interested.

Exactly.

Back in the middle of the N7 drama, I was thinking that the Pixels would be the perfect thing to get, once I got my money back from the old N7.

With the advent of the specifics of the new Pixels, there's no competition. Very happy to be sticking with my new N7.

BTW, I also took a very close look at the V20, as I thought I needed some device to move to if the Pixels didnt' come to VZW. I've owned LG and really like them. My G2 was an underrated phone when it came out, and the subsequent "G" series has been quite nice. But again, the N7 just trounces the competition IMO.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The LG G2 really rocked! Sleeper phone of the year. People were on the fence with the power button in the back but look at many phones now lol. And for me one of the best battery I ever owned. G3 was ok and didn't try G4 or G5. The V20 brings back some excitement for me since G2 but just too big for me.

That said, I wouldn't say game over so quick and Samsung won. I think phones like OnePlus3 and ZTE there are a lot of quality phones out there that can compete and showing it for hundreds less. I think it makes it hard to justify the high prices they are trying to push and also phones like Pixel the price seems just too high. Also I wouldn't discount companies like Motorola. They are coming into their own "brand" look and feel.

BTW, I also took a very close look at the V20, as I thought I needed some device to move to if the Pixels didnt' come to VZW. I've owned LG and really like them. My G2 was an underrated phone when it came out, and the subsequent "G" series has been quite nice. But again, the N7 just trounces the competition IMO.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Think it's worth pointing out that for 2016, Samsung, Moto, Apple, Google all went to the same pricing model for their flagships. And all four of those phones compete against each other with various exclusive features that can't be had on any of the others.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If I already had the Note 7 I'd keep it because I don't see the Pixel XL as an upgrade over the Note 7 except in 2 regards that I know don't matter to most consumers or even most phone nerds. But for anyone who has not yet purchased a phone this year looking to choose between the Pixel, V20 or Note 7- I have a few very compelling reasons that the choice there should land on the Pixel XL for every consumer that doesn't need the S-Pen for their use case.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm tempted to try Pixel...but a lot of Pros and Cons...first to get Android Updates, 128GB base storage and IF the camera turns out to be better than the Note 7's. Sure, the S-Pen, to me, is the difference maker but I'm thinking I COULD live with out it. I might even miss the awesome screen and yes, the curved screen. The Camera app on my Note 7 seems to have some lag, sometimes BAD lag when exiting the program. I do have it set on 16:9 (9.1M) 4032x2268.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Highest dxomark camera which is interesting.

Verizon exclusive makes it a fail.

Verizon exclusive to be sold in stores -- it is still available for others just not through the carrier. Unless that is what you meant :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital