Note 7 vs Google Pixels - Staying with N7!

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Exactly.

Back in the middle of the N7 drama, I was thinking that the Pixels would be the perfect thing to get, once I got my money back from the old N7.

With the advent of the specifics of the new Pixels, there's no competition. Very happy to be sticking with my new N7.

BTW, I also took a very close look at the V20, as I thought I needed some device to move to if the Pixels didnt' come to VZW. I've owned LG and really like them. My G2 was an underrated phone when it came out, and the subsequent "G" series has been quite nice. But again, the N7 just trounces the competition IMO.

Yeah, I looked briefly at the V20, and there are some things it does really well. In the end, I really like the phone I have in the N7 -- features, look and feel. Honestly, it will be hard to go back to a phone with side bezels.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Pixel straight up looks like iphone even has the camera is the same place.

As in it has a screen and looks like a smart phone lol? Where did you want the camera on the bottom of the phone?

Lets be honest, aside from branding and "home" buttons most phones look pretty similar.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I could probably get use to that horrible chin, and weird two toned back with a cool case. Security updates would be a good trade off anyway.

But then they went away from my awesome 6P speakers with this new Pixel, so I might as well stay with my subpar speaker and superior feature set of the Samsung.

They made my choice easy.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't compare it to a Note 7 and not sure why people are except maybe people are thinking it's Googles best vs the worlds best.

Maybe because this is a Note 7 forum and the thread is based on whether or not OP was going to keep the N7 or switch.

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Funny you say that. This Note 7 of mine is the 9th or 10th Android phone for me going back to the Droid from Motorola. For a while there HTC made some really nice phones and I at the time thought they were #2 in design innovation to Apple.....then Samsung and their Note series arrived. That and also the amoled screen technology they developed.

I have been a Galaxy Note user since the Note 3, I am so comfortable with the size, that when I see other non phablets I cannot picture myself using something that small.

SAMSUNG did a pretty good job with the recall situation. I know its been a tough couple of months for he company but judging at the number of people rushing to the Carrier stores the other weekend when the 1st replacements arrived....... USA TODAY's bogus article of only 18% of Note 7 users are going to stay with the Note 7 - the article got blown up (And the media wonder why we don't trust/like them anymore)

I hope HTC can get it going again and make something marketable. The more viable manufacturer's the better the competition to drive innovation.
I've owned nearly every flagship from all the respective mfgs so I can relate.

After I posted in this thread, I checked out what Google is offering this year and I have to admit I seem intrigued by most of it. Went ahead and pre-ordered a 128GB XL since they offer an interest free monthly payment option, I'm gonna grab the Google Home, that Google WiFi amplifier thing, and two of the new Chromecast (I already have two of the v2 Chromecast anyway might as well upgrade) just to see what it's all about. I don't have the Amazon Echo yet anyway so may as well give Google Home a try.

I know not everyone can afford to do that on a whim but I'm kind of a tech junkie. I'm keeping the Note 7 though, so at worst I'll have two phones to switch between wherever I feel like it. The Note 7 is just too awesome to let go of, but I'm down to give Google a shot.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Highest dxomark camera which is interesting.

Verizon exclusive makes it a fail.
Just pointing out that the unlocked model will be sold on the play store so being a Verizon exclusive don't matter much unless of course, buying the phone outright at full cost on purchase is a problem. Google will finance also, I just saw that.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure the pixel has better than a 7 hr battery life. The feature that everyone is talking about is that a 15 minute fast charge will add 7 hrs of battery life on the pixel.

Note 7 with Nougat will then be on par with the Pixel, if not already.
What does 7 hrs of battery life means anyway? 7 hrs of standby, 1 hr SOT + 6 hrs standby... or?

No magic bullet with the 821. Same fab slab as the 820. Note 7 has real hardware resolution scaling options that Pixel does not have. FHD on the N7 still looks amazing.

How does fast charge help battery life? Needs plugged in to be a factor, so a moot point.

Will be interesting to see how the capacitance holds up after about eight months. I would use that only when needed.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Verizon exclusive to be sold in stores -- it is still available for others just not through the carrier. Unless that is what you meant :).

Yeah, I thought it was carrier locked but its not. Verizon is the only in-store place selling them but I'm still wondering if somehow they'll branded with Verizon logo??....cause we all know how much Big Red likes putting their name on things, lol! :D

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I thought it was carrier locked but its not. Verizon is the only in-store place selling them but I'm still wondering if somehow they'll branded with Verizon logo??....cause we all know how much Big Red likes putting their name on things, lol! :D

IIRC it doesn't have it.

CiHKAl

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
The reason I don't purchase, and never will, Samsung phones is you're typically buying the phone with that version of Android.. that's it. Yes, you get major updates but they're terribly slow. I bought the Nexus 5X knowing I'll have three years of timely support (two years of version updates and three years of security patches), no excessive bloat, and freedom.

The truth is if you're currently using a Samsung then it makes sense you find this phone less appealing. Google typically doesn't cater towards the Samsung crowd, and I'm thankful for that. They're now transitioning from the Nexus line to more of an iPhone competitor. What's key here is they're doing it somewhat gradually. In a few iterations they'll fully break away from their Nexus roots and we'll have a more direct competitor to Apple. If they're successful they'll take market share from Samsung because they'll gear the hardware for a similar market, but have better software longevity per device like Apple.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
. I bought the Nexus 5X knowing I'll have three years of timely support (two years of version updates and three years of security patches), no excessive bloat, and freedom.

It's funny how different people see the market. I loved my Nexus 5, but I never had the freedom to take a good photo. I didn't have the freedom to use the S pen, never had the freedom to expand memory, didn't have the freedom to get caught in a rainstorm......

We all see it differently. But I never felt all that "free" with a Nexus device. Freedom to me is when my device is jam packed with features, and i'm free to choose which features I'd like to utilize and which ones I wouldn't. With the Nexus, what you see is what you get and there is nothing more. Then again, I don't root and mess with everything at that level, so it was never really for me.

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I love gadgets too much to not get a new phone every year. More frequent software updates are nice... But at the end of the day how important are they to have for my everyday use? For me... Not much...

CiHKAl

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
It's funny how different people see the market. I loved my Nexus 5, but I never had the freedom to take a good photo. I didn't have the freedom to use the S pen, never had the freedom to expand memory, didn't have the freedom to get caught in a rainstorm......

We all see it differently. But I never felt all that "free" with a Nexus device. Freedom to me is when my device is jam packed with features, and i'm free to choose which features I'd like to utilize and which ones I wouldn't. With the Nexus, what you see is what you get and there is nothing more. Then again, I don't root and mess with everything at that level, so it was never really for me.
Great way of looking at it. To me freedom within the software in terms of unlocking the bootloader, running custom Roms, rooting, running Xposed, etc is key. To others like yourself freedom in via hardware capabilities and stock features are key. Running stock 7.0 on the Nexus 5x (great camera) is nice. The older Nexus 5 did have a pretty terrible camera which was traditionally the case of the Nexus line.

That's why I'm thankful for choices. I'm a little disappointed Google is moving away from their Nexus (pure Android) mentality and going towards their pixel (pure Google) line. That takes them down the direction of Samsung and Apple. It's a transition for the those of us who have enjoyed the stock Android experience from the very early days. From a business perspective it makes sense :(

paul87russell

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
If we're talking about looks, I'm sticking with the Note 7 also. Looks like nougat is nice and fluid, I think the exclusives in the Pixel phones will be ported over by custom roms so no need to buy a Pixel unless it's far superior than a Note 7. Gonna wait for the camera comparison though coz I look for camera first in a phone.