10-06-2016 11:34 AM
36 12
tools
    That's exactly what happened to me. I was surprised when my phone wanted reboot after updating some Galaxy apps. I was sure I had gotten some kind of virus, or a system update. I have a T-mobile Note 7 and it won't let me uninstall or disable Good Lock, says it's now a system app. I really likes how I had things arranged before, but I guess I'll have to look into changing things now. I am a bit surprised that Samsung would change the notification tray to look so much like ASOP

I got a notification that some Samsung apps needed updating. I let it, and then was surprised when the phone rebooted (I thought it had crashed). When it came back up, the notifications menu had gone all "colorful" and crap, along with the top bar and recent apps, etc, etc. It was awful. I was pissed. It took some digging but I found something called "Good Lock" that had been installed without me asking. I was able to uninstall it using the Samsung Galaxy Apps app and of course it had to reboot yet again, but now it's back to normal.

So unless you want some more bloatware jumping in and making a ton of visual changes to your phone that you didn't ask for, avoid this.
    10-05-2016 03:06 PM
    Update: I pulled down on the notification shade and Good Lock settings appeared. I clicked on it and there was an uninstall option there. It uninstalled and then rebooted. Crisis averted!
    10-05-2016 03:12 PM
    Thanks. I went into Galaxy Apps and stopped automatic updates. Then I went into apps and force closed and disabled the app. That's enough for me to calm down. Mobile phones are very personal devices and I just really don't like it that either the manufacturer or the carrier feels the need to force apps on my phone I don't want. I loathe CNN, which is what got my dander up, but honestly, I just want control over what's on my phone and want to be able to delete any non-system apps I don't want, and I don't want anything installed that I didn't first approve. This is a tiny little extension of me I want to be in control of. That can't be too much to ask.

Why is it I have this feeling that bloatware apps are a source of revenue for Samsung? My personal device is not ad space for sale to Samsung's highest bidder.
    10-05-2016 03:28 PM
    I updated my phone today, including the "good lock" galaxy app. There are alot of changes that I'm not so sure I am for or against yet, I will have to see after a few days of use.

However the one thing I immediately noticed that I do not think I am for is that it seems to have got rid of the lock screen, until my pin is required.

I will try to clarify:

I have my options set to not ask for my pin until 10 minutes goes by. Before if I clicked the power button twice, I would be presented my lock screen but just no pin entry. Now, unless it's been 10 minutes It goes straight to my home screen and skips the lock screen.

Anyone else notice this and figure out a way to bring the lock screen back without uninstalling "good lock"?
    10-05-2016 05:55 PM
    Check your settings. Think its a new feature. I personally got rid of the lock screen wallpaper. What I've notice and thought as well is that the whole lock screen disappeared, but if you swipe down it shows you everything.

10-05-2016 06:55 PM
    For those having apps installing all by themselves, you might want to check to see if you have an app called dt ignite on your phone. It comes pre-installed as a system app from a lot of carriers, and can be used to download new apps without your permission unless you disable it.
    My N7 installed Good Lock on its own this afternoon, and I've never had DT Ignite (AT&T phone).
    10-05-2016 08:00 PM
    Does anyone know what the secure-folder icon in the Good Lock quick-settings panel is supposed to do? It seems to have no effect when I tap it.
    10-05-2016 08:01 PM
    The Samsung update only installs if you have automatic updates enabled. I disabled it because I have the old S note with action memo, and didn't want that messed with. But I definitely don't want CNN or anything else for the edge screen, so glad I didn't get the update. I have everything but the task edge off. That one I find useful--instant calling of the two people I call all the time and the message shortcut for the person I text the most and the shortcuts for the Samsung cloud backup since I'm on Verizon and had to sneak that on. I loathe automatic updates on any device and that has only been intensified by my windows 7 pc dying and having a windows 10 laptop foisted on me. Checked out Good Lock, and think I'll pass on that.
    10-06-2016 02:11 AM
    It's a little ridiculous that I was not asked if I wanted to use this.

How do you change the color? That's the only thing I can't find....but I may as well give it a chance now.
    Pull down the notification bar on top, all the way down. If you look at the screen shots I posted above, on the right most corner is the icon for the phone settings. On its left is another icon that looks like a setting icon wrapped in like a solid semi circle. That's the setting for Good Lock. Press 'Routines' and you can press on 'default' and you can customize from there, just keep pressing next till you get to the color theme. You may have to play with it until you get your desired color combos.
    Kevin OQuinn and pwscott like this.
    10-06-2016 04:09 AM
    Check your settings. Think its a new feature. I personally got rid of the lock screen wallpaper. What I've notice and thought as well is that the whole lock screen disappeared, but if you swipe down it shows you everything.
    Not 100% sure I understood what you were saying. So you did find a way to bring the lockscreen back or you didnt?

I'm not talking about the wallpaper.
    10-06-2016 11:27 AM
    Pull down the notification bar on top, all the way down. If you look at the screen shots I posted above, on the right most corner is the icon for the phone settings. On its left is another icon that looks like a setting icon wrapped in like a solid semi circle. That's the setting for Good Lock. Press 'Routines' and you can press on 'default' and you can customize from there, just keep pressing next till you get to the color theme. You may have to play with it until you get your desired color combos.
    Thanks!

That was the only thing I didn't go through. "Routines" seems like an odd name for what is basically a layout preference.
    10-06-2016 11:34 AM
36 12