N7 Gear VR review/ questions...

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
OK so I will again state I feel lucky to have purchased this phone even with the battery issues and maybe because of these issues. I got an excellent phone which I was super happy with and because it may have been an issue, it was replaced and a temp was supplied, and finally a new one was given. I have had many bonuses over this process including my newly arrived VR headset.

So my son, who has been tracking the progress of this promo since I told him about it, opened the box and set the straps up. Opened strapped and connected, it took some time to update and download things.

So the process was pretty smooth. It did take a bit to get the n7 in and out of the headset. Mainly because you are handling a slick phone and a big headset for the first time. I was cautious and did it over the bed instead of the kitchen floor. You are putting the phone onto the charging port at an awkward angle, while holding both in mid air. Once you get the feel, it is a none issue, but I was cautious. One thing to consider is to shut off any lock security, at least when you are first doing it because if it times out before you get is clicked it wont activate. There may be a setting you can alter to fix this, but I just shut it all off because of all the in and out. My phone is the only one that can be used and I had a wife and 2 kids all jumping at the chance to use it and it is first and foremost my PHONE.

So once on and set up all I can say is WOW. and that doesn't cut it. It is awesome. It took me only seconds to get the hang of the buttons and process. Then I was clicking and downloading. Several apps either free or already downloaded. Groovr was great. I tested Samsung Internet (youtube, samsungvr and such). My son who is afraid of heights was testing the #BeFearless. All parties wanted more.

So this brings me to a few questions and comments. How do I get the free Oculus money/credit? It says the apps will just simply be listed as "download" not purchase, but I did not see that. Mainly I also have not seen a list of items?

I also can see the screen door effect. Am I right in saying this device is the best screen on the market? I am by no means saying its bad, just think I was expecting better. What about the other units, like the rift, htc and the new sony vr? Just wondering.

Last point is more on the adult side. This device will be passed around to many people, of course if you so desire them to view it. So remember this is YOUR PHONE. YOUR PICS. YOUR VIDEOS. YOUR BROWSER HISTORY. and while someone has it on, YOU CAN NOT SEE WHAT THEY ARE SEEING... Just make sure you are careful to keep things secure. Photos in the secure folder, and clear the Samsung Internet Gear VR cache and data if you accidentally end up at the wrong site.....

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there. The games should appear automatically in the Oculus store (easier to browse on your phone while not plugged into the VR Headset). HOWEVER, if you got the VR set with the loaner device and then moved back to a Note 7, you might have to call Samsung as the content promo seems to be linked to the IMEI (read the 'your gift is on its way' e-mail).

As for the screen, yes, it is (arguably) the best screen on the market. BUT that's as long as you view it as a phone screen. For VR, you're splitting the screen in half and adding zoomed-in lenses. VR-specific displays like the PSVR, Rift or Vive have displays made for VR, and as such, might look better because they're optimized and designed for the closeups VR sets need.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I was told in another thread that the bonus content will appear under the "Not Installed" tab in the Oculus library...
I did the VR promo for both the loaner and new N7.... I preinstalled the Oculus app and setup before the VR arrived and did not see bonus content. Got my first of 2 VR sets this morning and still no bonus content..

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
None here either. Although the offer does specifically say S7 or S7 Edge for the free content with no mention of the N7. Regardless I'm happy to have got the VR unit for free anyway even if there is no free VR content included.

Juju2x

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I called yesterday to update my IMEI with Samsung and as of yet still not bonus content. The guy said it would take 24-72 hours to update.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I should have thought of the imei stuff, but figured it would somehow be listed somewhere.

If it is not imei issue I will wait for the vr headset arriving tomorrow which is linked to my new phone. If it's there i will wait on the second oculus promo in hopes someone in my house gets a vr eligible phone.

Still curious what we get

audri5

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I ordered mine with the correct imei and I can't find any content that says download instead of purchase. I also can't see how to access the content that is already on my device. Such as my games.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I just received mine today and installed the software. In the app library, I saw 4 apps that said not installed. Do these come with all VR's or is this the free content?
a72fe81df2ef4696da055c3b427c43e7.jpg

Droid Husker

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm also trying to figure out the free apps thing. Got my Gear VR today and don't see anything other than the 4 apps mentioned above. I would assume the two Oculus apps would be free regardless, not sure about the other two. Wish there was a list so we knew what to look for.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Forgive me but I have never played with one of these but do I have to buy a controller or something for the gear vr?

alwilliam

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Forgive me but I have never played with one of these but do I have to buy a controller or something for the gear vr?

Yes and No. For the majority of the content it's NO! The headset comes with its own touch pad, back button, and home button on the right side of the headset itself. Once you're using the device, if you need to click on a menu or a category/selection, there's like a little pointer that you can control with your head movement. You point at something, it will highlight it, touch the touch pad and it will open it. Back and home buttons are self explanatory.
You need to pause a movie, tap the touch pad, resume it, point at the play button and tap the touch pad again.
Before you download something, it will also tell you if that content needs a controller or not.

For the best experience though, use either your phone stereo headset or a bluetooth stereo headset or even a rich sounding bluetooth portable speaker..

Last edited:

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Yes and No. For the majority of the content it's NO! The headset comes with its own touch pad, back button, and home button on the right side of the headset itself. Once you're using the device, if you need to click on a menu or a category/selection, there's like a little pointer that you can control with your head movement. You point at something, it will highlight it, touch the touch pad and it will open it. Back and home buttons are self explanatory.
You need to pause a movie, tap the touch pad, resume it, point at the play button and tap the touch pad again.
Before you download something, it will also tell you if that content needs a controller or not.

For the best experience though, use either your phone stereo headset or a bluetooth stereo headset or even a rich sounding bluetooth portable speaker..

Thank you so much😊

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm also trying to figure out the free apps thing. Got my Gear VR today and don't see anything other than the 4 apps mentioned above. I would assume the two Oculus apps would be free regardless, not sure about the other two. Wish there was a list so we knew what to look for.
I Googled it and it seems there are supposed to be a 6 game bundle for the S7/S7E. Since we got the promotion, I would think we would get the bundle as well.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I Googled it and it seems there are supposed to be a 6 game bundle for the S7/S7E. Since we got the promotion, I would think we would get the bundle as well.

I did a quick Google search to try to figure out what the content is and came up empty, but I had the Gear VR for the Galaxy S7...not sure if what I ended up with was already free or considered the "bonus content", but this is what I have (excluding one item I know I bought)...
Rococo VR
Cirque du Soleil's Kurios (free)
Strangers with Patrick Watson
Cirque du Soleil's Zarkana (free)
Rilix VR
The Night Cafe: An Immersive Tribute
Introduction to Virtual Reality (free)
Jurassic World: Apatosaurus
Sketchfab VR
Discovery VR (free)
Samsung VR (free)
Oculus 360 Photos (free)
Samsung Internet (free)
Oculus Video (free)
Netflix (free but you need a subscription to login)
Samsung Gallery (free)

In fact, I think everything I listed is free because I only remember paying for one item that I didn't list ("Affected - The Manor" in case anyone is interested). Some of these probably offer in app purchases I'm guessing. So I don't think I've ever seen the "free game bundle".

If nothing else hopefully this list gives some of you some stuff to consider downloading for your break into VR.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I caution people to not use their gear vr for extended periods until this next battery fiasco is over...my gear vr arrives today and I surely don't want it to blow while on my head

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I did a quick Google search to try to figure out what the content is and came up empty, but I had the Gear VR for the Galaxy S7...not sure if what I ended up with was already free or considered the "bonus content", but this is what I have (excluding one item I know I bought)...
Rococo VR
Cirque du Soleil's Kurios (free)
Strangers with Patrick Watson
Cirque du Soleil's Zarkana (free)
Rilix VR
The Night Cafe: An Immersive Tribute
Introduction to Virtual Reality (free)
Jurassic World: Apatosaurus
Sketchfab VR
Discovery VR (free)
Samsung VR (free)
Oculus 360 Photos (free)
Samsung Internet (free)
Oculus Video (free)
Netflix (free but you need a subscription to login)
Samsung Gallery (free)

In fact, I think everything I listed is free because I only remember paying for one item that I didn't list ("Affected - The Manor" in case anyone is interested). Some of these probably offer in app purchases I'm guessing. So I don't think I've ever seen the "free game bundle".

If nothing else hopefully this list gives some of you some stuff to consider downloading for your break into VR.
All of this has been free....this is not the bonus content

jshah500

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Question: I have a gear vr headset coming in the mail soon. Which apps do I need to download? I see there's a "Gear VR" app in the play store, is that all? I see no "VR" category in the play store. Thanks for the help.

Droid Husker

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Question: I have a gear vr headset coming in the mail soon. Which apps do I need to download? I see there's a "Gear VR" app in the play store, is that all? I see no "VR" category in the play store. Thanks for the help.

When you hook the phone up to the Gear VR, it will make a noise to tell you it's connected. The first time, after you hook it up, it will then prompt you to take the phone out of the VR to download and install the stuff you need. The only thing you do before hand, and this can be done afterwards too, just makes things a little quicker, is to sign up for an Oculus account. Then when you plug it in the first time, and it prompts you to download the needed files, when the Oculus app opens after the files download, you will already have your login ready.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star