Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
It was a big enough issue that Samsung... they... issued a recall of all of their phones.

Let's face it. If there is even a hint at Samsung products being defective or "exploding" the media is going to rush to print. I will admit there is an issue but I don't feel it's that big of an issue. Just my opinion.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Let's face it. If there is even a hint at Samsung products being defective or "exploding" the media is going to rush to print. I will admit there is an issue but I don't feel it's that big of an issue. Just my opinion.

Maybe the next accessory for the Note 7 will be a portable fire-safe ;) Buy a Note 7 now and get a FREE personal fire-safe just in case your Note 7 gets it's flame goin' onnnnnn! ;) :) I hope I am still :) tomorrow.... I have a flight this weekend. Doh!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Why
You think this will break Samsung.
Wrong
They are a 300 billion dollar company.
It will make them do some changes.

I think they need to make the phone housing stronger. The whole problem is The lithium battery, and shorts from the mother board getting broke.
It won't break the company into bankruptcy, but it'll further damage the reputation of the Note 7, at a time when that's the last thing it wants.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Why
Wrong

I think they need to make the phone housing stronger. The whole problem is The lithium battery, and shorts from the mother board getting broke.

Would not kill Sammy, but would most likely the Note 7. How would it not?? Again, IF legit and Samsung post recall assessment turns out Sammy were not forthright in their root cause identification and corrective action measures.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm along for the ride.
Don't care if it takes time and another replacement.
I don't like flying much.
And I don't want to get on a cruise ship.
I don't have nothing but time.
Can set up a new phone in 30 minutes or less .
So Samsung get it on.
I can WAIT.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I didn't say it would break Samsung... I said it would probably end it for Note 7 run.

I mean we are getting close to holiday shopping season... if they had to do another recall they'd miss it and no point on pushing the Note 7 with it's image tainted. Just end it and wait for Note 8. They still have their rep intact on the S7/Edge and they'll just have to push on with S8 next year. But they'll have to be perfect on the S8. Find out what did the Note 7 in and make sure not on the S8. Boy if it's a usb-c issue and they go with the same design they used in the Note?? :eek:

But no I didnt say this issue with one model would break Samsung.

Why
Wrong

Mooserman15

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
I am never going to purchase or recommend a 2016 Samsung device becuase of this. 2015 devices were bad, but they didn't go boom. If the Galaxy S8 or Note S8 have these problems, goodbye samsung. And, no, I will not switch to an iPhone. Even if every Android device exploded.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I'm not in the mood to wait another year... I can run with a new loaner iPhone for as long as I want and not spend a dime... but I'm really wanting to play with the Note 7 features. In a year who knows what cool phone comes out.

Wait another year for a Note phone.
No way.
I'd be pissed off .
Don't want to wait another year.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
In all seriousness, are people sticking with the Note 7? I've been away from android for a long time now so I'm a little worried about all this negative press the phone has gotten.

I'm definitely sticking with the Note 7. It's going to get bad press no matter what. I could care less about the biased press. It's going to be like Samsung is Trump and apple is Hillary from now on and Tim crook is a Hillary supporter. The Note is still the best phone out. Was never worried with my old Note 7 still not worried with my new Note 7.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I sit back after reading these posts and start to wonder, is the rest of the world laughing at us? Everyone, breath, relax. As far as planes go. I've already sent the FAA a letter suggesting all phones be turned off during flight, each and every one of them have this risk. I know, the thought of not staring at your phone during flight is a horrifying thought, read a book, Crossword puzzle, word search, oh here is one, talk to each other, oh the thought of talking and not texting, what a silly idea.

redsman55

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
That conflicts with the finding they published stating it was a battery manufacturing issue. Too much pressure during the process to seal the layers together. The result was insulation issues that could create a short with the anode and cathode layers. That was published during the CPSC review.
Yes, a classic cause of thermal runaway. Since I really like this phone, I hope something else is not going on.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I will keep my Note 7 since it rocks, but that presumes things do not escalate again and then Samsung sends another update to gimp the current post recall devices. They did it before they can do it again.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I will keep my Note 7 since it rocks, but that presumes things do not escalate again and then Samsung sends another update to gimp the current post recall devices. They did it before they can do it again.
I'll keep using mine, but I'll keep watching this as​I am quite concerned about it

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'll keep using mine, but I'll keep watching this as​ I am quite concerned about it

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll be keeping the Note 7 for the foreseeable future unless this escalates. I'm on JOD so a different device is easy but there is absolutely nothing out or coming soon that can touch this phone IMO. But if this leads to some kind of ban from the FAA I'll have no choice but to find something else.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The statements were from anonymous employees, though.

Unless anything comes out from the company publicly, it's a bit of a hard call.

True dat, but Sammy did not push back at all. No way they would leave it alone unless they did not want the issue dug into even deeper. Not a good PR thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.