10-08-2016 11:00 PM
693 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    My main concern is how are airlines going to react to this. If I can't use my phone on a plane then it is a no go for buying this phone. I have been a huge fan of Samsung and even wrote this on my Note 4. I'll wait to see how this plays out. If airlines ban the Note 7 I may need to look at the Pixel but I will miss the S pen.
    10-06-2016 07:41 AM
    No, people are punishing Samsung for selling an exploding phone that led to the recall. Bad luck if just batteries but it's their mess. So Samsung has to live with the egg on their face.

I know. So people are punishing Samsung for doing a recall, the right thing. Now if I start seeing report after report the new note 7 burning up then it's an issue.
    10-06-2016 07:44 AM
    My main concern is how are airlines going to react to this. If I can't use my phone on a plane then it is a no go for buying this phone. I have been a huge fan of Samsung and even wrote this on my Note 4. I'll wait to see how this plays out. If airlines ban the Note 7 I may need to look at the Pixel but I will miss the S pen.

Depending on the eventual outcome / confirmation that it was a replacement and happened as described, the airlines and the FAA will react very very strongly to this, I would think. This is a concern for me as well.
    10-06-2016 07:45 AM
    Read the Quote I based my response on. He's saying if it's a real issue you'd hear more cases by now... I said issues/defects... don't have to be issues that present themselves immediately.

Huh?
    10-06-2016 07:47 AM
    No, people are punishing Samsung for selling an exploding phone that led to the recall. Bad luck if just batteries but it's their mess. So Samsung has to live with the egg on their face.
    That's not how I read it here, but that's me
    10-06-2016 07:48 AM
    Thats what apple does with iphones (handle each case individually)...iphone 7 has so many issues yellow screens, hissing creaking noises, springboard crashes, camera crashes, overheating, haptic touch freezing, and no one in the general public is aware of these incidents....
    My local morning news they have Jane King Business and Tech report segment, and it mentioned iphone 7 not getting good reception. But that was it about the iPhone in that report.
    10-06-2016 07:48 AM
    That's true but looking at their history of launch dates it could vary from year to year by a month... so even though they released 12 months later... it could be they were really on track for 13 or late 13 month release... but they saw an opportunity (can you really blame them) and by the reports of workers being pushed, they pushed suppliers and maybe their own people too hard to shave 30 days. They were glowing in their own magnificence from the S7 and Edge sales they wanted to go for it on the Note... and it's blown up in their face.
    Perhaps. This could be said of all phones though who try to meet a yearly cycle - which is about all of them. If news teams investigated any OEM trying to meet any phone deadline behind the scenes, I suspect you'd hear similar "reports". You don't think what is being SPECULATED here happens for most phone releases? Rushing, extra shifts, etc may or may not be a factor - or may certainly not be the only factor.

The point is just because there was big QA miss, it doesn't NECESSARILY mean that the reason is due to rushing. It could be of course. This automatic attribution is careless among writers IMO. Maybe we will KNOW more soon. As of now we are speculating. So when someone says, Samsung missed this BECAUSE THEY WERE RUSHING ..., it is speculation until we have more info.

All I know for sure now is that this latest event is terrible for Samsung, and for all of us owners..
    debdroid1a likes this.
    10-06-2016 07:53 AM
    The way to avoid this is to simply shut off service to all IMEIs that were built before the replacements were made. This way it'll ensure that 99% of the defective phones are out of circulation and force the laggers to get replacements unless they want a $900 wifi-device or brick. Then everything would be reset to "zero" and future incidents can be properly referenced to the replacements.
    I thought about that as well, but let 1 person not be able to make a call in an emergency situation and the law suit could be even worse. Not sure how much control they can take over the device.
    10-06-2016 07:55 AM
    Maybe he's a minor tech enthusiast, got a LinkedIn message from the verge, which he reads, and talked to them on the phone from his home which happens to be where most people have the box their phone came in.
    Or a Jeep enthusiast....

I think I have drained that joke, but still can't resist
    10-06-2016 08:00 AM
    I thought about that as well, but let 1 person not be able to make a call in an emergency situation and the law suit could be even worse. Not sure how much control they can take over the device.
    You can have it both ways on this. you can still make 911 calls even if you don’t have an active cell phone account.
    10-06-2016 08:01 AM
    And some people are overreacting here. Approximately one phone, (the other report from China being debunked) out of a million new Note 7s has issues....IF the report is true.
    True, but it did so in a fantastically visible way on the heels of a known issue. I'm not to the point of switching yet, but I am watching closely. A few more and I will be making a case to Verizon and pick up something different. Probably the Pixel XL at this point. I hate even saying that, because I like this phone so much, but I keep them for 2 years. I don't need this headache for the next 24 months or so.
    Read the Quote I based my response on. He's saying if it's a real issue you'd hear more cases by now... I said issues/defects... don't have to be issues that present themselves immediately.
    I understand that. My point was that, two weeks in, the issue had already presented itself multiple times which is why there was an initial recall. I doubt one phone having an issue is cause for a brand new panic/recall.
    I prefer using my iPad Pro on a plane, but understand some folks use their phone as an all-in-one. I would too, but my eyes hurt if staring at a smaller display too long. Especially reading.
    10-06-2016 08:03 AM
    You missed my point. If internal employees have said that it was rushed, that's evidence it was. For those wanting the company to officially corroborate that, they won't. It doesn't mean that the phone wasn't rushed to get past delays. My company has rushed things out too, all the employees involved know, the company itself will never admit that, does not mean it isn't true.
    It ain't just Samsung that rushes everything.
    Its everything, cars, trucks and everything.
    People are like a bunch of hungry dogs waiting for the new toys coming out.
    And they get stuck in WHAT EVERYBODY else is doing or getting.
    They can't think for themselves.
    Then they start getting picky about everything.
    And this is not going to change

Its all the time with everything.

You are gonna have to find what you like and go with it.
    Not worry about what everybody else is gonna do.

If you ever been in the commercial world very long you would understand this.
    Its all about MONEY.

Just like Dodge has put out Jeeps. They caught on fire. They had a recall and they are still catching fire.
    Other auto mfg.
    GM recalls 1.4 million cars for fire risk after previous fix failed - Oct. 27, 2015

Get used to it and move on.

We live in the new world. A fast disposable world.
    dadsterflip likes this.
    10-06-2016 08:13 AM
    You can have it both ways on this. you can still make 911 calls even if you don’t have an active cell phone account.
    The last phone number I would ever Dial is 911.
    I will not dial 911 for anything.
    10-06-2016 08:14 AM
    So if you are past the 14 days on your 2nd phone...what are you options? I am sure they won't take it back...so only recourse is to sell on Ebay, which I am sure is not a great option since we will take a loss for sure.
    I think I have a 30-day policy b/c of our corporate contract. I think if this is a real issue, some vocal complaining will get some mercy, but you never know.
    10-06-2016 08:16 AM
    I'm glad some nice person called 911 after my car accident (the day before the Note 7 came out--that's my luck). Let's hope someone will do that for you if needed, even if you wouldn't do it for them.
    jerrykur and From A Buick 8 like this.
    10-06-2016 08:18 AM
    I understand that. My point was that, two weeks in, the issue had already presented itself multiple times which is why there was an initial recall. I doubt one phone having an issue is cause for a brand new panic/recall.

Since the CPSC is already investigating the story/phone/meltdown from yesterday, I'm legit concerned about what direction this may go in. I agree that one phone shouldn't cause a new panic, but the Note 7 can't seem to get out of its own way.
    treedabl and dstrauss like this.
    10-06-2016 08:20 AM
    I agree that one phone shouldn't cause a new panic, but the Note 7 can't seem to get out of its own way.
    True!
    10-06-2016 08:21 AM
    I'm no statistician or gambler, but the odds of having a replacement Note 7
    blow up or catch fire seems to be excellent. Samsung only replaced less
    than a million Note 7 phones in the US. 1 caught fire. So the odds are
    better than 1 in millions. That's way better than the chances of winning the
    daily pick 5 lottery or getting bitten by dogs.

Probably not an issue for me. I've been playing pick 5 lottery single week
    for the last 7 years and 23 weeks. (387 straight weeks without a single
    win... stats that will make even the NY Yankees green with envy?) Has
    not won even once. (which is getting to be ridiculous) Yet I keep wasting
    $1 each week... just out of spite and to seen when I'll break the 387-week
    no-win streak.
    10-06-2016 08:26 AM

Ok Flava
    tk-093 and From A Buick 8 like this.
    10-06-2016 08:29 AM
    Samsung is lucky Apple isn't running ads all over the place about the Samsungs burning up. That would really damage Samsung. Probably irreperably. Samsung couldn't create a commercial without the centerpiece being ridiculing Apple. Samsung is lucky that Apple has always taken the high road. Because they could really destroy Samsung right now. Samsung was humiliated enough when they were ordered to write a check for millions after Apple sued them for copying the iPhone. Apple could have buried Samsung after that via ads. But they chose not to. Same holds true today. Samsung is fortunate that Apple obviously has never been interested in Samsung the way Samsung has always been obsessed with Apple. That's Samsung's saving grace.
    This is a bit overboard. More ads would damage Samsung. It would not kill them though, not even close. Samsung is a very successful company. No matter HOW badly this NOte 7 debacle ends up being, they will be just fine. By the time the S8 comes out, people will have long forgotten. People have short memories.

This is a big detrimental mess for Samsung, but no amount of advertising is going to kill Samsung..
    10-06-2016 08:34 AM
    Maybe I've been watching too much of "Damages" on NetFlix, but... if Apple wanted to do damage to their main competitor, they could put a shill on a plane and have him ignite a Note 7 while it was still on the ground. Can you imagine what that would do for their competitive position.

Just saying.
    10-06-2016 08:36 AM
    I think as Note 7 owners, we have our right to be concerned about this.

This is not a midrange device or a budget device. This is a near-$900 top-level flagship-grade device packed to the gills with everything Samsung could stuff into a phone.

So of course we would be concerned as it's an expensive device currently marred by controversy and bad press. Denying the issue or calling it "fake" would do nothing to help owners feel better.

And this is a good time as a fellow AC Mod to remind users to please discuss this in a friendly manner. Don't spread misinformation and/or insult users who are understandably concerned about this.
    10-06-2016 08:48 AM
    I just saw the cbs link and it's interesting how it says recalled devices made beforr the 15th.. ummm a lot of our new replacements are made brfore 15th minr included.... I thought it was recalled if sold before 15th and even cpsc had mentioned that on 15th itself... this whole fiasco is annoying. No one should have to get a phone and worry about it or keep seeing news reports. Pathetic. I have had samsung phones for so long that im like shocked at how a company this large was so careless the 2nd time too? Weird. I doubt this guy faked it or how can you make a phone smoke up just like that on a flight? This seems real sadly. If a 2nd recall happens I know i will have no trust in Samsung.
    10-06-2016 08:49 AM
693 ... 1011121314 ...