10-08-2016 11:00 PM
693 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    Oh my goodness....so much hand wringing and drama! I had to double check to see if I was on Android Central or the Galaxy Note 7 subreddit.

I will await official information from Samsung regarding this incident. I assure you that there will be information forthcoming very quickly. They will want to nip this in the bud and/or limit liability exposure. Meanwhile I will continue to use my phone without worry.

Relax.
    10-06-2016 08:59 AM
    I like to prep for a contingency plan so I contacted Verizon about this and they told me they were aware of it, and that it was very unfortunate and they wanted me to have a safe phone... So they extended the return policy 45 days. I asked if the corporate store I go to was aware of this, and they said yes.

I messaged the manager of the corporate store and he confirmed the same for me and told me when and if I decided on a phone to let him know and he'd hold it for me and to bring back the phone exchange style with all accessories and cases.

Not sure if I'm gonna do it, but it's nice to know it's there and I don't have to grumble about being outside my 14 day return period.
    GrooveRite, donm527 and SteelGator like this.
    10-06-2016 09:02 AM
    10-06-2016 09:03 AM
    So if you are past the 14 days on your 2nd phone...what are you options? I am sure they won't take it back...so only recourse is to sell on Ebay, which I am sure is not a great option since we will take a loss for sure.
    So I got my replacement on the 21st. My two week window from Verizon is up today. Fifteen days is twenty minutes away. If I took it back in mentioning the newest fire, are they going to take it back or am I now stuck with this phone? I'm not even worried about blowing up honestly. But the device is tarnished beyond repair. And I do fly a lot and not having my phone on a plane is out of the question. Since the recall hasn't solved whatever the fire issue is, I don't want stuck with a phone that has no resale value. If I sold it now, I'd probably lose a few hundred. I bought the phone outright.
    NEVER trust a carrier - sorry, but they are even more "bottom line" than the OEM's - I'd insist on seeing the store manager and demand a return - show him the CBS video and the CSPC statement on investigating it...then escalate to retention if you have to. If the storm (ever) blows over, you can go buy another one later on - otherwise be prepared to use it until it falls apart because resale value is going to be in the tank.

...I think as Note 7 owners, we have our right to be concerned about this.

This is not a midrange device or a budget device. This is a near-$900 top-level flagship-grade device packed to the gills with everything Samsung could stuff into a phone....
    I am seriously beginning to wonder if this isn't the real issue - for all devices.

10-06-2016 09:09 AM
    I hope they find it was not note 7.
    But even if it's found not to be, you won't see that on evening news or haven't seen anything about iphone catching fire. I know it's not been as many, but still.
    10-06-2016 09:13 AM
    Checking my Twitter feed... they are just gonna keep repeating...

https://twitter.com/CNBCFastMoney/st...30465342574594
    10-06-2016 09:20 AM
    I have had samsung phones for so long that im like shocked at how a company this large was so careless the 2nd time too?
    Well, we don't know yet if the new phones have a defect yet for sure. This incident is terrible, and opens lots of doubts for sure, but we should probably see the outcome of the investigation before we think that the new phones all have issues still. For example, I know we saw a photo of a box (with the IMEI conveniently covered), but do we have any independent verification that this was in fact a NEW Note 7 - other than the guy saying it was and the box photo? Look, I am not doubting it necessarily, I am just saying we are all making a lot of assumptions at this stage, and WILL know for sure soon enough. If this was a new one, and it happened as described? I will be very mad, and this will be a super troubling issue for Samsung and for us owners.

Weird. I doubt this guy faked it or how can you make a phone smoke up just like that on a flight? This seems real sadly. If a 2nd recall happens I know i will have no trust in Samsung.
    I agree, it does seem real, I guess we will see. I am not sure if I will have "no trust" in Samsung , but I will certainly have diminished trust and will likely look elsewhere should yet another recall proceed ...
    10-06-2016 09:23 AM
    I guess we wait to see how this plays out, No point in stressing over something we have no control over. I am interested to see what the investigation reveals.

Cheers,
    BR
    10-06-2016 09:25 AM
    My guess is this is legit. Samsung will need a very good explanation as to why those of us with replacement note 7s should feel secure with our phones. More importantly they have to convince the CPSC and FAA.

I also worry about resale value regardless of the outcome...
    10-06-2016 09:31 AM
    Caught fire when it's powered off. What can be worse than that
    10-06-2016 09:32 AM
    Just wanted to add things into perspective here once again...

The flight was yesterday morning. We're still talking about that phone smoking and causing the flight to be cancelled. FAA, CPSC, Samsung, they're all investigating the one phone. The news today isn't 'More replacement Note 7s are smoking/catching fire'.... everyone is still talking about that one phone. If there were others... whether they be on a plane, in some guy's garage or their car, we would have heard mere moments after it happened.

Back when the original stories hit, they hit in a swarm... reports from Korea, US, etc... they kept coming in one after the other. At this point (2+ weeks) after the initial release, the number was anywhere from around 50 to well over 100 and Samsung had already announced that they found a rather troubling manufacturing defect was already talking about a possible recall, maybe even world-wide.

So until the story goes from one phone to several dozen, I think people need to relax and calm themselves a wee bit. Until that headline changes, if you have a Note 7, don't fret.. if you want a Note 7, you don't have to freak.
    10-06-2016 09:34 AM
    Hopefully they say it's isolated .....If there's another recall and they do somehow manage to get it back on the market I will just scoop up a V20 and be done with this phone.....
    10-06-2016 09:35 AM
    CBS news this morning said if Samsung rushed out replacements this is bad, if they find in there new investigation there is a problem with the replacement phones a refund is a option this time
    10-06-2016 09:41 AM
    I will swap again. Gonna be hard to take a flight with one now! Good thing I kept the old one! S
    10-06-2016 09:46 AM
    My concern was the CPSC comment to TechnoBuffalo about their urgency to investigate quickly, then emphasizing that one of consumers' options, under the recall, is a refund...that's a pretty pointed comment. Like @Strong_Genetics I hope this is an isolated incident, but even if it is, how will that tamp down the damage done to the Note 7 brand...and as I commented above, if you are concerned in any way you should act quickly before the carriers "lock you in."
    10-06-2016 09:48 AM
    There are a ton of posts on this thread since yesterday. I'm not about to read every last one, so I apologize if this has been mentioned already...
    Best case scenario for Samsung is that the same of the phones manufactured before a certain date were improperly labeled and identified as being a part of the safe batch when they weren't. Hopefully, they can find a way to figure out which ones were identified incorrectly and can update their database to reflect these and send out a new update.
    Seeing as some people have new phones acting strangely in regards to getting hot and high battery drain, it would seem that something was overlooked and instead recalling all of them, single out which ones may still have issues and go from there.
    10-06-2016 09:51 AM
    Look. I love my phone. I do. But when I read, with multiple witnesses, the thing burned when he shut it off, that's an issue.

Is it true? Who knows. But IF it is true (this isn't the only replacement btw as someone suggested, that has had an issue) how can you trust that your phone, which is acting perfectly fine now, won't do this?

The man interviewed said he hasn't noticed anything wrong at all. He said he did notice it was a little warm before he powered it down.

A little warm? My replacement gets a little warm. I have 3 kids. I leave my phone on my nightstand as a clock and an alarm.

I don't want to worry about something like this happening. I don't. Even if the chances are remote, if it's the way the battery is installed or the type of battery it's an issue.

Sucks. I love my N7. But if this is going to go on, I suspect they might have ANOTHER recall and that would end the line. Period. Maybe not forever but for this model series.
    10-06-2016 09:55 AM
    My concern was the CPSC comment to TechnoBuffalo about their urgency to investigate quickly, then emphasizing that one of consumers' options, under the recall, is a refund...that's a pretty pointed comment. Like @Strong_Genetics I hope this is an isolated incident, but even if it is, how will that tamp down the damage done to the Note 7 brand...and as I commented above, if you are concerned in any way you should act quickly before the carriers "lock you in."
    That was for the current recall, so current devices with green gauges are replacements. Unless Samsung approves applying to devices already replaced, carriers hands are tied.

This would need to be a new recall, which would be essentially killing the Note 7. Too convoluted to replace if current devices suspect.

CPSC direction will be interesting, as well as Samsung's response.
    10-06-2016 09:56 AM
    I am seriously beginning to wonder if this isn't the real issue - for all devices.

Actually, that video makes a whole lot of sense.

See, the approximate size of the battery in the Note 7 physically is roughly the area highlighted by the red rectangle on mine.
    Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane-img_3205.jpg

3500mAh is actually a lot of power stored in that cavity.
    10-06-2016 10:03 AM
    in the history of consumer products(car, electronics, etc),
    has there ever been a double recall? (as in a product being
    recalled and its near-identical replacement being recalled yet
    again?
    10-06-2016 10:10 AM
    CBS news this morning said if Samsung rushed out replacements this is bad, if they find in there new investigation there is a problem with the replacement phones a refund is a option this time
    CBS news should focus on news (i.e., getting facts right), rather than throwing out opinions of things that are self-evident.
    rushmore and pduffer like this.
    10-06-2016 10:11 AM
    Anyone want to guess what samsung's response if going to be. We they recall them all, again. Or throw in the towel?

If on every flight they make announce that if you have a Samsung Note you have to keep it powered off I think the phone is dead.
    10-06-2016 10:17 AM
    Actually, that video makes a whole lot of sense.

See, the approximate size of the battery in the Note 7 physically is roughly the area highlighted by the red rectangle on mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3205.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	241586

3500mAh is actually a lot of power stored in that cavity.
    Not much different than the iPhone 7 battery:
    Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane-iphone7battery.jpg
    10-06-2016 10:19 AM
    Look. I love my phone. I do. But when I read, with multiple witnesses, the thing burned when he shut it off, that's an issue.
    Jerry wrote a story about what a "fire" is in a cell phone battery. Essentially it is an uncontrolled reaction. Once it starts it is self-sustaining until the chemical reaction completes. You can turn the phone off or even pull the battery (if you have a removable battery), and the reaction will continue to completion.
    10-06-2016 10:21 AM
    I'm no statistician or gambler, but the odds of having a replacement Note 7
    blow up or catch fire seems to be excellent. Samsung only replaced less
    than a million Note 7 phones in the US. 1 caught fire. So the odds are
    better than 1 in millions.
    The question is are the odds of Note 7 catching fire considerably higher than the odds of other phones catching fire. At this point I would say yes. And in manufacturing that points to a issue with some part of the device. It may not even be the battery. It could be something in the way they have the battery installed, it could be the weather sealing causes a build up of gases, ...
    10-06-2016 10:29 AM
693 ... 1112131415 ...