10-08-2016 11:00 PM
693 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    Stuck in the Apple system
    All the stars have it, some think its a satus symbol..
    Typo or Freudian slip...
    10-07-2016 11:14 AM
    typo
    10-07-2016 11:14 AM
    Never said a fire couldn't bring a plane down. A single phone failing isn't going to bring a plane down. Here's the cause of the Swiss Air crash- notice - above the ceiling, so it wasn't a cell phone:

Aircraft certification standards for material flammability were inadequate in that they allowed the use of materials that could be ignited and sustain or propagate fire. Consequently, flammable material propagated a fire that started above the ceiling on the right side of the cockpit near the cockpit rear wall. The fire spread and intensified rapidly to the extent that it degraded aircraft systems and the cockpit environment, and ultimately led to the loss of control of the aircraft.
    Not complete. The original source of ignition was a short in an electrical circuit in the entertainment system that sparked a minor fire. This should not have causes the material to burn, but it did because of the materials. Same could be said a phone (or any other ignition source) in a seat back, briefcase, or luggage that started to burn. An in-air fire is one the worse nightmare for every pilot I know. It is the reason why when you are trained as a pilot they teach you to never reset a circuit breaker more than once.
    10-07-2016 11:28 AM
    Stuck in the Apple system
    All the stars have it, some think its a status symbol..
    Or, and stay with me now as this is a crazy thought...they work best for that user? That user has also used Android and didn't find that it meshed with their use case? It's an educated choice? I know, it's crayzee to suggest such a thing.

Enough with the fan wars.
    dstrauss, jbcatl and jj2339 like this.
    10-07-2016 11:31 AM
    Read up on Swiss Air 111 and it's crash at Peggy's Cove or for an extreme incident Air Florida,

Fire in air is a crew's worse nightmare. A few more of these happen and all electronics, regardless of manufacturer, with lithium batteries will be disallowed on aircraft.
    No more LiPo batteries on planes would be an interesting and far reaching decision, that IMO, would not be merited based on current data. Computer, phones, and tablets all use LiPo. I am sure I am not thinking of a few other devices as well. Eliminating them from planes would shut down business travel almost completely. How else am I going to get my computer there?

Also, to do so would ignore the long history of safely flying with these batteries over the last how many years? This is not a new development, it is one with increased visibility due to a specific issue. In 6 months, society will be panicked about something completely different.

Chicken Littles have very short attention spans.
    10-07-2016 11:31 AM
    Because there is no recalls on iPhones and they are considered one of the best phones out there.
    There have been at least two iPhone fires on planes and other documented fires. Where is the same standard?

Most of the media and a lot of posts have zero clue about battery materials, production, charging process, QC, etc- yet make lots of grand presumptions and shoot first with zero questions after. Even the freakin' Jeep is getting regurgitated by media. The phone being off makes zero sense and if was at that fail threshold would have fried while on and drawing charge. Something else is going on. Have no clue what, but something was funky with the device.
    10-07-2016 11:34 AM
    IMO, scrapping it isn't ideal either.

Because this would show that they are no longer confident in their own product, which actually creates another negative stigma and will make people question the way Samsung is doing things.

I'll say this. The priority now is for Samsung to support current Note 7 owners. Scrapping it would not solve the issue entirely as they will then have to contend with angry Note 7 users along with a new set of questions.

I'll add this too. If Samsung were to kill off the Note 7, I will be buying something else. I cannot maintain confidence in a company that isn't confident in its own product.

There's just no way out for Samsung that will make life easier.

My 2 cents.

They are going to have to do something. And cutting their loses with the Note 7 might be the way to go.

If I were in charge of Samsung. I would have my engineers work on a mild technical refresh of the Note with new packaging so it looked physically different than the Note 7, and a new battery (removable?). I would have them work real hard to be able to show the new Note 8, or whatever the new name is, at MWC, and have it in channels by Spring.
    10-07-2016 11:35 AM
    Why do people keep buying iPhones then?
    Well, at the risk of sounding like some shill, I would guess the most common reason is because there is an overwhelming majority of reviews that declare them the best smartphones out there and recommend them without reservation.

Samsung is having a prolonged nightmare with this model. Regardless of the objective risk or danger (which is negligible), the general perception around the world is that these phones are dangerous, it is virtually certain that airlines, train lines and bus companies will soon institute complete ban on these devices, so ordinary consumers, armed with this information, simply have no reason to pick a Samsung. And make no mistake, even if these bans are only for non-replaced Note 7, large percentage of general public will simply avoid Samsung as a brand. The only way for Samsung to convince anyone to actually buy a Samsung phone will be with a significantly lower price. This might work for the flagship high-end devices (but would represent a dramatic hit on profit margins), but it wouldn't make any difference for the $150 stuff.

LG, HTC and, of course, Apple, will gladly welcome all these people.
    jbcatl likes this.
    10-07-2016 11:36 AM
    Then the pilots can no longer use their iPads with their books on the aircraft policies that the companies give them. This will never happen.
    For years pilots lugged their Jeppesen chart cases with them. They were full of approach plates, sectionals, area, and route maps. Ipads are a recent thing, and a lot of pilots still keep paper charts as a backup. Aviation is all about backups of backups.

And I bet every airliners or other part 121 aircraft has a printed company Op Spec tucked away somewhere.
    rushmore likes this.
    10-07-2016 11:43 AM
    Wake me up when the CPSC report comes in. For sure they are all over this investigating, since they sanctioned the replacements. Until then continue on with all the guessing and what-ifs...
    10-07-2016 11:56 AM
    Not complete. The original source of ignition was a short in an electrical circuit in the entertainment system that sparked a minor fire. This should not have causes the material to burn, but it did because of the materials. Same could be said a phone (or any other ignition source) in a seat back, briefcase, or luggage that started to burn. An in-air fire is one the worse nightmare for every pilot I know. It is the reason why when you are trained as a pilot they teach you to never reset a circuit breaker more than once.
    Big difference between a fire originating above the cockpit and a potential fire in the passenger cabin. Plus this airline fire was 18 years ago and those materials are no longer used and should have never been used to begin with.

Again, a phone isn't going to bring down a plane.
    10-07-2016 12:05 PM
    The tragic Florida fire was due to illegal storage of a shipment of oxygen tanks. They were not secured on the flight and should not have been on it in the first place.
    10-07-2016 12:14 PM
    Wake me up when the CPSC report comes in. For sure they are all over this investigating, since they sanctioned the replacements. Until then continue on with all the guessing and what-ifs...
    Saw one article this morning that stated they could release their findings as early as next week. I'm sure they want to get to the bottom of it quickly to determine if it's a wide spread issue or an isolated one. Only thing that sucks is even if they announce it was an isolated issue (or perhaps it was a recalled unit) it will still have the stigma with uninformed people. Mine has been great (as was my recalled unit), unless there is another recall I'm hanging onto this bad boy.
    10-07-2016 12:16 PM
    The only airline incident that's related to lithium batteries that I know of is UPS Flight 6.
    10-07-2016 12:16 PM
    yeah i keep getting mixed results on this.
    Go to the verizon store and ask
    10-07-2016 12:17 PM
    Saw one article this morning that stated they could release their findings as early as next week. I'm sure they want to get to the bottom of it quickly to determine if it's a wide spread issue or an isolated one...
    How long would it take to just come out and say whether it is or is not a replacement unit?
    10-07-2016 12:28 PM
    I just read on Phonearena.com that now both At&t and Sprint are allowing people to swap out of there replacement Note 7s. My thing is:Samsung hasn't issued an official statement on this yet so how are carriers already allowing this?
    supreme8124 likes this.
    10-07-2016 12:35 PM
    I just read on Phonearena.com that now both At&t and Sprint are allowing people to swap out of there replacement Note 7s. My thing is:Samsung hasn't issued an official statement on this yet so how are carriers already allowing this?
    It's just goodwill by those carriers. They aren't out any money doing this ad they will just return the phone to Samsung.

Plus, at the highest level of management, they are certainly in direct contact with Samsung.
    amyf27, dstrauss and jordans0nly like this.
    10-07-2016 12:44 PM
    This sucks. I was hoping to go back to the Note 7 after a few months... None of the other phones coming out interest me.. the Pixel has a huge bottom bezel and i am not a fan of LG phones... Sigh....
    10-07-2016 12:48 PM
    How long would it take to just come out and say whether it is or is not a replacement unit?
    I wouldn't think long at all but if it is a replacement unit then they want to find out what caused the battery to rupture. If it is a recalled unit they probably still want to investigate to verify that there isn't another possible issue they missed with the first recall investigation. My guess is they will wait until the entire investigation is done and release everything at once instead of bits of news here and there.
    10-07-2016 12:49 PM
    Look at this thread... there are plenty of people here expressing their desire to return their phones, regardless of the outcome of the current incident. I am sure people saw the news "NOTE 7 ON FIRE" headlines and went to their local carrier store to demand another phone. That happens enough, the carriers hands get forced and they comply.

Again... I am not going to worry about this until the CPSC comes out and issues another massive recall. Which, considering the fact that we are 2 1/2 days later and are still only talking about that one phone, seems like decreasing likelihood.
    10-07-2016 01:14 PM
    I would like to keep the phone but I'm more worried about what the FAA says than CPSC or Samsung. Even if the CPSC says "isolated incident" the FAA may still crack down on Note 7 (or Samsung in general) devices out of abundance of caution. I'm glad to hear AT&T is playing ball on yet another exchange but will wait a few days to see what shakes out.
    10-07-2016 01:30 PM
    This is one incident. The slate got wiped clean from the previous recall. This again, is only one incident. All phones of all models have caught fire. That doesn't negate Samsung the right to have isolated incidents.
    supreme8124 likes this.
    10-07-2016 01:34 PM
    There have been at least two iPhone fires on planes and other documented fires. Where is the same standard?
    You can't compare the two. Samsung recalled all of their Note 7's because of this issue.. now that an, allegedly, new Note 7 has started on fire, people are concerned.

Since Apple has never had a massive recall like this, there is no same standard to apply.
    jbcatl likes this.
    10-07-2016 01:37 PM
    This is what I just posted in another thread so I'm just copying it here too.

The replacement Note 7s have been on the wild for how long...a little more than 3 weeks now? Assuming that of the roughly 2.5 millions that needed to be replaced 90% of them have been replaced already there has to be over 2 millions new Note 7 out there, and in about 3 weeks there has been just 1 incident reported and still hasn't confirmed the cause of it. The original Note was released and just days after it was released there were the first reports already and in a matter of 2-3 weeks there were around 100 incidents reported around the world.

So, I think it's fair to assume that the replacements were double and triple checked before they were released, there is no way a Giant company like Samsung could overlook something like this, not a second time, plus if the CPSC gave the green light for the replacements they must have tested the new ones also, otherwise, they will also be responsible for a new mess.

So if 1 out of over 2,000,000 phones has failed that's by itself totally understandable and that can and happens to every other company right now, not just Samsung, every single device that uses the same type of battery will have the same chances to fail. About 3 incidents were reported this past weekend of new iPhone 7 and 7+ exploding just like the Note 7 and that gets me to the the reason of my post and something I thought since I heard the news about the latest incident on the plane. One of the iPhone 7 plus that exploded just arrived like that to the buyer, it seems that the phone was mishandled in transit and received a direct impact to the phone though the box and immediately caused the same reaction, SO what if the guy on the plane had the phone off as he said but stored in a bag while he was boarding the plane and some other objects just press the phone to the point of causing the smoke and fire afterwards? Something that can happen to any other device out there, right?

For me, even if it wasn't the latter and it was just a failing battery, I highly doubt this will cause any other recall or further issues with the phone, 1 out of 2M phones won't make the CPSC assume any responsibility about allowing the replacement in the first place. Samsung may have deep pockets and did what not too many companies would have done by doing the recall for all the phones instead of just a bunch of them, but I'm sure that they are not that dumb to just do a wash of face and send 2.5M replacements and keep production to sell more units not being sure that the only defect was the battery. Any normal and thinking person would know that a second recall will cost them a lot more than a fortune, they could permanently damage their brand, and again, people talk as if they are part of the Board of Directors and know first hand all the details, and forget that this people are simply amazing businessmen and whatever we may be think now they have already thought about it and made decisions based on that.
    James Rogers2 and celsior360 like this.
    10-07-2016 01:40 PM
693 ... 2021222324 ...