10-08-2016 11:00 PM
693 ... 2122232425 ...
tools
    All the news and reactive articles are making me wonder what type of installed base this phone will have. I am beginning to worry that even if the phone is fine and not recalled, that it will be put on the back burner by Samsung sooner than normal, meaning we will get even less timely updates if they come at all. The functionality of the Spen may never be fully restored. Will Nougat come? That will be a lot of work for a low number of phones.
    10-07-2016 01:40 PM
    I'll just mention it one more time and put it away since no one cares because it happened in china... there is was a "safe" phone with pic of box with the black square showing new batch that exploded. New batch. Black square on box. TWO as far as I'm concerned. Googled and no update. So not update it's real and no update it's not real. But we have pics of a safe phone in china exploded. Smh. Lol.

Back to your normal programming....

This is one incident. The slate got wiped clean from the previous recall. This again, is only one incident. All phones of all models have caught fire. That doesn't negate Samsung the right to have isolated incidents.
    10-07-2016 01:44 PM
    then Samsung will most likely go to court to either have the airline lift the ban, or ban ALL phones, regardless of manufacturer...
    I find this EXTREMELY unlikely. Can you imagine the bad press THAT would cause Samsung, even if they won? Think the headlines are smarmy and uninformed now? Imagine a court case ... "Samsung fights FAA to allow exploding phones on planes", and such. You know what the headlines would be, regardless of the truth. I don't see any court battles initiated by Samsung for this under any scenario. If the FAA bans them, Samsung would not want to risk even further humiliation (not even considering if they went to court and lost).
    jbcatl and benjamminh like this.
    You can't compare the two. Samsung recalled all of their Note 7's because of this issue.. now that an, allegedly, new Note 7 has started on fire, people are concerned.

Since Apple has never had a massive recall like this, there is no same standard to apply.
    Didn't Apple have a recall for Antenna Gate? Also didn't the iPhone 7 catch on fire? I guess because it is made in America it is not pushed like Samsung. If this fire on the plane is true and is caused by the phone it is the only one so far. There has been so many false accusations.
    You can't compare the two. Samsung recalled all of their Note 7's because of this issue.. now that an, allegedly, new Note 7 has started on fire, people are concerned.

Since Apple has never had a massive recall like this, there is no same standard to apply.
    That is the point- why not?
    10-07-2016 01:45 PM
    Only thing that sucks is even if they announce it was an isolated issue (or perhaps it was a recalled unit) it will still have the stigma with uninformed people.
    This is true, but the stigma is not just for the uninformed. I own the phone and even I admit it has a stigma, and I am quite informed. You have the Verge and other sites already opining to give up, etc. (BGR doesn't count, but the Verge does)

We will see what happens, but it doesn't look good at all at this point ..
    10-07-2016 01:46 PM
    iPhones are made in GYNA (china)

Didn't Apple have a recall for Antenna Gate? Also didn't the iPhone 7 catch on fire? I guess because it is made in America it is not pushed like Samsung. If this fire on the plane is true and is caused by the phone it is the only one so far. There has been so many false accusations.
    10-07-2016 01:47 PM
    Apple's antenna gate was not solved by a recall but by the providing of free plastic "bumpers" to solve attenuation problems.

There has been an incident (or more?) of iPhone 7/7+ catching fire, but not at a rate where the CPSC has felt the need to step in.

Finally the iPhone is not made in America, maybe designed and imagined here, but manufactured in the same places as every other smartphone.
    10-07-2016 01:50 PM
    iPhones are made in GYNA (china)
    It is Still considered an American phone although parts are made on other countries.
    10-07-2016 01:50 PM
    I for one am over this whole disaster and really I am waiting for Verizon to say that I can exchange this phone once again I'm done with it. Buying a cell phone should never be so stressful.
    jbcatl and dstrauss like this.
    10-07-2016 01:52 PM
    Look at this thread... there are plenty of people here expressing their desire to return their phones, regardless of the outcome of the current incident. I am sure people saw the news "NOTE 7 ON FIRE" headlines and went to their local carrier store to demand another phone.
    Even if nothing comes out of this recall wise, people want to be able to fly with their phones. The FAA has to be looking at this VERY carefully now and I think owners are UNDERSTANDABLY concerned about how the FAA may react.

Time will tell, but at this early stage, considering what happened, concerns are valid.

Also, most of us here have gone through the recall already and it was stressful and messy. Just the THOUGHT of a possible 2nd one is also very stressful. Speaking for myself, I am really tired of spending most of the 6 weeks I have owned the phone, wondering if it is safe and seeing bad press. Seeing this news - at the very least - means that this drama will be protracted longer. Even if it turns out to be little to nothing.

Honestly I miss the very early days from the launch where all people were worried about was getting the update to pin the screen off menu, or the Cracked Screen Evangelist (you know who you are ) trying to convince everyone that every screen is gonna break :-)
    10-07-2016 01:54 PM
    Correct. But it's not like Apple gets a pass and no one cares to look

Apple, FAA Investigating After iPhone Catches Fire Mid-Flight - NBC News

Google... didn't see any follow up but FAA was on top of it and they are like pitbulls. If it was a one off and unexplained it happens I guess. They probably checked phone lots to see if other reports or records returns to Apple for battery and maybe nothing.

Google search iPhone and fire or explosion.... you'll see your fair share... as many as you'll see if you google Samsung fire. Apple sold a billion phones... if you find the number of reported iPhone fire articles and divide by a billion it'll be less than 1 in 10 million I bet. Samsung has made tens of billions of phones over years... if you divide the number of stories by that it'll probably be less! But here is a one of a kind scenario... Samsung initiated recall for ALL notes because they determine bad battery. Now not even a month after recall... cases of explosions and overheating... on batteries... on same model! That's the difference.

jbcatl likes this.
    10-07-2016 01:55 PM
    All the news and reactive articles are making me wonder what type of installed base this phone will have. I am beginning to worry that even if the phone is fine and not recalled, that it will be put on the back burner by Samsung sooner than normal, meaning we will get even less timely updates if they come at all. The functionality of the Spen may never be fully restored. Will Nougat come? That will be a lot of work for a low number of phones.
    They'll still work on it.

Because they don't want to anger those of us who paid over $800 for a phone.
    10-07-2016 01:57 PM
    Everyone wanted Apple to have one, but they didn't. Remember they said "your holding it wrong".
    rushmore likes this.
    10-07-2016 01:59 PM
    By the way the iphone 6 Plus was in a woman's bedroom the iPhone 7 was a fire was in transit. You guys fall for scare tactics so easy! I have had the original until the replacement came . No issues with both of them. There are so many false accusations out there and one accusation not proven as of yet. If you do not like the Note 7 just say you don't and move on.
    10-07-2016 02:02 PM
    They will have to pry this phone from my cold, dead and possibly charred hands. ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚
    10-07-2016 02:05 PM
    If you do not like the Note 7 just say you don't and move on.
    I don't think anyone has expressed that. It's more a valid concern of what issues may arise IF another recall occurs, or worse, once a month there is an "allowable incident" that doesn't trigger any action by Samsung.
    10-07-2016 02:06 PM
    By the way the iphone 6 Plus was in a woman's bedroom the iPhone 7 was a fire was in transit. You guys fall for scare tactics so easy! I have had the original until the replacement came . No issues with both of them. There are so many false accusations out there and one accusation not proven as of yet. If you do not like the Note 7 just say you don't and move on.
    Then it wouldn't be dramatic? See the whole thread with expert opinions? ROFL. I just watch this thread for drama.

But I am with you doh.
    Preach2k likes this.
    10-07-2016 02:06 PM
    disregard.
    10-07-2016 02:17 PM
    Actually if you read those articles related to the China incident they mentioned that there were four reports of fires total. of those four, one or two were eliminated because of an external source heat source causing incident. But that article did not say that his phone had exploded because of an external source

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/27/tech...-7-fire-china/

"Since then, there have been four reports of battery fires in China. The South Korean firm has rebutted at least two of the reports. In one case, Samsung conduced an investigation and concluded that the fire was caused by an external heat source rather than a battery."

disregard.
    10-07-2016 02:29 PM
    Now all carriers are allowing customer to exchange their safe note 7.. so that tells me 1. They already know it will be a recall part 2 or 2. Being cautious. Thanks Samsung for getting me hooked on this phone just to have it be the worst phobe in history simply due to headaches/fear of explosion. Ugh.

So who is going to leave their note 7 ??
    Anyone having their phone get warm or hot ??
    10-07-2016 03:15 PM
    Big difference between a fire originating above the cockpit and a potential fire in the passenger cabin. Plus this airline fire was 18 years ago and those materials are no longer used and should have never been used to begin with.

Again, a phone isn't going to bring down a plane.
    Fire was not in the cockpit. It was in a hold underneath. Just just forward of the luggage. Hopefully if a phone (or other device with an LiIon battery) every goes up, it will be in an area where someone can easily get to it, and deal with it. Something in luggage would be bad because proximity to clothes and other flammable items, and by the time it was detected it could be quite large.
    10-07-2016 03:33 PM
    Now all carriers are allowing customer to exchange their safe note 7.. so that tells me 1. They already know it will be a recall part 2 or 2. Being cautious. Thanks Samsung for getting me hooked on this phone just to have it be the worst phobe in history simple due to headaches/fear of explosion. Ugh.
    Where are you getting your information from? Please give me a link!!! Some of you guys take something and run with it! Fear is all over this forum!
    10-07-2016 03:35 PM
    I find this EXTREMELY unlikely. Can you imagine the bad press THAT would cause Samsung, even if they won? Think the headlines are smarmy and uninformed now?
    Oh, I disagree... If the FAA banned the phone out of irrational fear, and not as a result of an second defect, Samsung HAS to fight it. Fight things tooth and nail... educate the public that they've addressed the defect that caused the original problem, and that EVERY PHONE with this type of battery can fail in a similar fashion. If they force the crucible of "zero battery failures" on Samsung, well, they might as well close up shop completely because that is an impossible goal to achieve... no OEM can.

Again, this is still the one incident we are talking about. Not 30, 100, etc... one. There are no burned up Jeeps, charred hotel nightstands, dozens of tweets showing scorched Notes, no "Multiple reports of failed units from Korea, United States, etc"... we have a single one that smoked up a bit and freaked everyone out. It is safe to say that if there were other Note 7s that caught fire, there would be several news crews at their door before the thing cooled. So where are the other reports?

I mean, if they had start to come in with the same increasing frequency that we saw in August and we get Total Recall Pt 2... I mean, I'm with most of you. I'm out... I don't want my wife carrying around a ticking time bomb and I'll most likely never to purchase another Samsung phone again... done. I walked away from the brand several years ago but I put aside my personal feelings towards the brand and came back because it suited my wife's needs, but this? If there was another defect in there that serious, Samsung is dead to me.

But I see nothing.. yet... to force me to have to entertain that option.
    rushmore likes this.
    10-07-2016 03:38 PM
    Fire was not in the cockpit. It was in a hold underneath. Just just forward of the luggage. Hopefully if a phone (or other device with an LiIon battery) every goes up, it will be in an area where someone can easily get to it, and deal with it. Something in luggage would be bad because proximity to clothes and other flammable items, and by the time it was detected it could be quite large.
    Really? Because according to the TSB it started above the cockpit:

Consequently, flammable material propagated a fire that started above the ceiling on the right side of the cockpit near the cockpit rear wall.
    10-07-2016 03:40 PM
693 ... 2122232425 ...