Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Again trying to not be too negative however im feeling the replacement devices were rushed too and may have issues. My replacement has gotten bit warm since two days so idk... I'm worried about it blowing up bit trying to hold on to the last glimmer of hope that the replacement devices are in fact safe but doubt it ugh

This is why I returned. I want no worries when it comes to my device. Some will disagree but I just don't see it as worth it so .. I returned and bought another phone.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Which phone did you end up getting instead? The weird thing about this is that I flew for 6 hours the day before southwest airlines news and used my phone the entire time on board. Crazy stuff very upset with Samsung. I think they rushed it all. Probably paid cpsc who also didn't care :/

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Which phone did you end up getting instead? The weird thing about this is that I flew for 6 hours the day before southwest airlines news and used my phone the entire time on board. Crazy stuff very upset with Samsung. I think they rushed it all. Probably paid cpsc who also didn't care :/
Almeuit? He ordered a Pixel XL. Originally wanted a V20 but the wait was too long for him.

So can we assume the Note 7 is dead, except for the few who chose to keep it as a relic?

I feel like we're just talking in circles now.
Probably so, unfortunately.

It's such a shame that one of the best phones Samsung has made and probably one of the best phones of the year ended up being a PR disaster.

I just hope this is a learning experience.

Last edited:

E Padilla

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
So can we assume the Note 7 is dead, except for the few who chose to keep it as a relic?

I feel like we're just talking in circles now.

I believe the opposite. I feel Samsung needs to show that they won't just ditch their problematic phones and don't mind spending some money to make things right with their customers. Building their image as caring corporate company rather than a greedy profit only company would help them a long way in my opinion. The Note 7 however would need re-branding like Note 7+ or something on those lines I saw suggested elsewhere after proper testing and recall. Heck, push back the S8 to make it right.

But then again, that's just my opinion. :D

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Recalled?

7d3e68805bf22b3055912670a254024f.jpg

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Anybody want to wait until the facts are in and announced before freaking out? In the first 2 weeks the phone was out the first time, they had about 40 incidences documented. In the couple weeks since people have been getting replacements, there's been one. And while fewer were sold or sent out this time, that still doesn't scream disaster to me in terms of using this phone. If there is another recall, yeah sure, I will sadly give the phone up, but someone has to prove to me that one incident means all the replacements are bad.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
If the Note 7 is nixed, I guess the S7 Edge will still be near the top of all Android phones until the S8 comes out.

jobloom

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I can't believe the speculation without any details. Was the phone plugged in? If not wouldn't the episode be an extremely perfect storm? Is the model confirmed? If confirmed N7... has it been confirmed to be pre/post recall?

Not plugged in, actually powered off

Here is the interview with the guy at the airport. He states that it was the replacement unit. They ran the IMEI and on Samsung's site and it said it was a safe unit.

Smoking Samsung phone grounds Southwest plane - Videos - CBS News

Roostaapp

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Thats so Bad! one of my firends note 7 exploded! well it didnt luckily enough he managed to switch it off in time, he felt it getting super hot and he closed it down in time before it exploded! it did still kill the phone though! and this was a replacement! he said he wishes it blew his leg off so he could sue and retire lol

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Again trying to not be too negative however im feeling the replacement devices were rushed too and may have issues. My replacement has gotten bit warm since two days so idk... I'm worried about it blowing up bit trying to hold on to the last glimmer of hope that the replacement devices are in fact safe but doubt it ugh
A lot of devices might get warm due to the processor, not the battery. My old galaxy nexus used to get really warm. No issues there though. I don't think there is any warning when batteries just implode.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Possibly the carrier taking the initiative to stop sales again until more info found on the current issue. Wouldn't surprise me... this current issue is just too hot... you got a major airline carrier involved in your headline news now. :eek: The carriers have to deal with a lot with customers during the first recall and probably made no money on the phone either and probably lost in manpower spent.

If Samsung doesn't pull the plug on the Note 7, the carriers could do it... say, "we sell a lot of models, happy to keep selling S7/Edges... we don't sell all Samsung models anyways and don't need to deal with the Note 7 anymore. We'll pass until the Note 8."

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Thats so Bad! one of my firends note 7 exploded! well it didnt luckily enough he managed to switch it off in time, he felt it getting super hot and he closed it down in time before it exploded! it did still kill the phone though! and this was a replacement! he said he wishes it blew his leg off so he could sue and retire lol
If it was the battery, you can't turn it off once the process starts. That's like blowing out the match after the fuse is already lit.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If it was the battery, you can't turn it off once the process starts. That's like blowing out the match after the fuse is already lit.
Yeah. Once a lithium battery starts going into a thermal runaway, it will just keep burning. Doesn't matter if it's turned off or not because it's still storing energy.

You can ask Jerry about this sort of stuff as he's an electrical engineer.

jbcatl

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
EDIT: found the article re: Samsung using same manufacturer for replacements as the iphone -

​Samsung to use Apple's main battery supplier for Note 7: Report | ZDNet

Which points to the fact that if there are still issues with the replacement batteries, then Samsung has a design/engineering defect on their hands that can't be easily solved. I don't think it would go unreported if new iPhone 7/7+ units were catching fire with the frequency that the launch day Note 7's were. Social media is too prevalent and the media is too hungry for this sort of thing.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
It's safe to say this phone is a complete bust. I still really like Samsung products (currently have the s7 Edge and will get the s8) but I am glad I didn't jump on this model

Status
Not open for further replies.