Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Saw one article this morning that stated they could release their findings as early as next week. I'm sure they want to get to the bottom of it quickly to determine if it's a wide spread issue or an isolated one...

How long would it take to just come out and say whether it is or is not a replacement unit?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I just read on Phonearena.com that now both At&t and Sprint are allowing people to swap out of there replacement Note 7s. My thing is:Samsung hasn't issued an official statement on this yet so how are carriers already allowing this?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I just read on Phonearena.com that now both At&t and Sprint are allowing people to swap out of there replacement Note 7s. My thing is:Samsung hasn't issued an official statement on this yet so how are carriers already allowing this?
It's just goodwill by those carriers. They aren't out any money doing this ad they will just return the phone to Samsung.

Plus, at the highest level of management, they are certainly in direct contact with Samsung.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
This sucks. I was hoping to go back to the Note 7 after a few months... None of the other phones coming out interest me.. the Pixel has a huge bottom bezel and i am not a fan of LG phones... Sigh....

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
How long would it take to just come out and say whether it is or is not a replacement unit?
I wouldn't think long at all but if it is a replacement unit then they want to find out what caused the battery to rupture. If it is a recalled unit they probably still want to investigate to verify that there isn't another possible issue they missed with the first recall investigation. My guess is they will wait until the entire investigation is done and release everything at once instead of bits of news here and there.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Look at this thread... there are plenty of people here expressing their desire to return their phones, regardless of the outcome of the current incident. I am sure people saw the news "NOTE 7 ON FIRE" headlines and went to their local carrier store to demand another phone. That happens enough, the carriers hands get forced and they comply.

Again... I am not going to worry about this until the CPSC comes out and issues another massive recall. Which, considering the fact that we are 2 1/2 days later and are still only talking about that one phone, seems like decreasing likelihood.

jbcatl

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
I would like to keep the phone but I'm more worried about what the FAA says than CPSC or Samsung. Even if the CPSC says "isolated incident" the FAA may still crack down on Note 7 (or Samsung in general) devices out of abundance of caution. I'm glad to hear AT&T is playing ball on yet another exchange but will wait a few days to see what shakes out.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
This is one incident. The slate got wiped clean from the previous recall. This again, is only one incident. All phones of all models have caught fire. That doesn't negate Samsung the right to have isolated incidents.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
There have been at least two iPhone fires on planes and other documented fires. Where is the same standard?

You can't compare the two. Samsung recalled all of their Note 7's because of this issue.. now that an, allegedly, new Note 7 has started on fire, people are concerned.

Since Apple has never had a massive recall like this, there is no same standard to apply.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
This is what I just posted in another thread so I'm just copying it here too.

The replacement Note 7s have been on the wild for how long...a little more than 3 weeks now? Assuming that of the roughly 2.5 millions that needed to be replaced 90% of them have been replaced already there has to be over 2 millions new Note 7 out there, and in about 3 weeks there has been just 1 incident reported and still hasn't confirmed the cause of it. The original Note was released and just days after it was released there were the first reports already and in a matter of 2-3 weeks there were around 100 incidents reported around the world.

So, I think it's fair to assume that the replacements were double and triple checked before they were released, there is no way a Giant company like Samsung could overlook something like this, not a second time, plus if the CPSC gave the green light for the replacements they must have tested the new ones also, otherwise, they will also be responsible for a new mess.

So if 1 out of over 2,000,000 phones has failed that's by itself totally understandable and that can and happens to every other company right now, not just Samsung, every single device that uses the same type of battery will have the same chances to fail. About 3 incidents were reported this past weekend of new iPhone 7 and 7+ exploding just like the Note 7 and that gets me to the the reason of my post and something I thought since I heard the news about the latest incident on the plane. One of the iPhone 7 plus that exploded just arrived like that to the buyer, it seems that the phone was mishandled in transit and received a direct impact to the phone though the box and immediately caused the same reaction, SO what if the guy on the plane had the phone off as he said but stored in a bag while he was boarding the plane and some other objects just press the phone to the point of causing the smoke and fire afterwards? Something that can happen to any other device out there, right?

For me, even if it wasn't the latter and it was just a failing battery, I highly doubt this will cause any other recall or further issues with the phone, 1 out of 2M phones won't make the CPSC assume any responsibility about allowing the replacement in the first place. Samsung may have deep pockets and did what not too many companies would have done by doing the recall for all the phones instead of just a bunch of them, but I'm sure that they are not that dumb to just do a wash of face and send 2.5M replacements and keep production to sell more units not being sure that the only defect was the battery. Any normal and thinking person would know that a second recall will cost them a lot more than a fortune, they could permanently damage their brand, and again, people talk as if they are part of the Board of Directors and know first hand all the details, and forget that this people are simply amazing businessmen and whatever we may be think now they have already thought about it and made decisions based on that.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
All the news and reactive articles are making me wonder what type of installed base this phone will have. I am beginning to worry that even if the phone is fine and not recalled, that it will be put on the back burner by Samsung sooner than normal, meaning we will get even less timely updates if they come at all. The functionality of the Spen may never be fully restored. Will Nougat come? That will be a lot of work for a low number of phones.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'll just mention it one more time and put it away since no one cares because it happened in china... there is was a "safe" phone with pic of box with the black square showing new batch that exploded. New batch. Black square on box. TWO as far as I'm concerned. Googled and no update. So not update it's real and no update it's not real. But we have pics of a safe phone in china exploded. Smh. Lol.

Back to your normal programming.... :D

This is one incident. The slate got wiped clean from the previous recall. This again, is only one incident. All phones of all models have caught fire. That doesn't negate Samsung the right to have isolated incidents.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
then Samsung will most likely go to court to either have the airline lift the ban, or ban ALL phones, regardless of manufacturer...

I find this EXTREMELY unlikely. Can you imagine the bad press THAT would cause Samsung, even if they won? Think the headlines are smarmy and uninformed now? Imagine a court case ... "Samsung fights FAA to allow exploding phones on planes", and such. You know what the headlines would be, regardless of the truth. I don't see any court battles initiated by Samsung for this under any scenario. If the FAA bans them, Samsung would not want to risk even further humiliation (not even considering if they went to court and lost).

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
You can't compare the two. Samsung recalled all of their Note 7's because of this issue.. now that an, allegedly, new Note 7 has started on fire, people are concerned.

Since Apple has never had a massive recall like this, there is no same standard to apply.
Didn't Apple have a recall for Antenna Gate? Also didn't the iPhone 7 catch on fire? I guess because it is made in America it is not pushed like Samsung. If this fire on the plane is true and is caused by the phone it is the only one so far. There has been so many false accusations.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

That is the point- why not?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Only thing that sucks is even if they announce it was an isolated issue (or perhaps it was a recalled unit) it will still have the stigma with uninformed people.

This is true, but the stigma is not just for the uninformed. I own the phone and even I admit it has a stigma, and I am quite informed. You have the Verge and other sites already opining to give up, etc. (BGR doesn't count, but the Verge does)

We will see what happens, but it doesn't look good at all at this point ..

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
iPhones are made in GYNA (china)

Didn't Apple have a recall for Antenna Gate? Also didn't the iPhone 7 catch on fire? I guess because it is made in America it is not pushed like Samsung. If this fire on the plane is true and is caused by the phone it is the only one so far. There has been so many false accusations.

jbcatl

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site

Apple's antenna gate was not solved by a recall but by the providing of free plastic "bumpers" to solve attenuation problems.

There has been an incident (or more?) of iPhone 7/7+ catching fire, but not at a rate where the CPSC has felt the need to step in.

Finally the iPhone is not made in America, maybe designed and imagined here, but manufactured in the same places as every other smartphone.

ladybrown35

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I for one am over this whole disaster and really I am waiting for Verizon to say that I can exchange this phone once again I'm done with it. Buying a cell phone should never be so stressful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63