10-08-2016 11:00 PM
693 12345 ...
tools

I will say that even though I do believe what was written, because the Verge is usually really good, there are some oddities at first glance with the event. It stuck me as odd that supposedly it happened THIS MORNING, and since that time: .... the user had time to disembark, presumably deal with security and questions from the incident, then search for, locate, buy, and activate a new iPhone 7, produce the original replacement Note 7 BOX which is pictured (but hiding the IMEI), all by 1:15 pm or earlier when this article was written at the Verge. Odd, but again, worrisome no matter what.
    yeah, that time frame doesn't add up at all. Maybe there were some mixups in details, but none of that makes sense
    10-05-2016 03:26 PM
    I'm flying Southwest tomorrow. I posted earlier about the process with them.

I'm really torn about this. I love the Note 7 but as a very frequent flyer I don't want to deal with this. I'll exhibit caution and let this play out, but I simply can't have a phone that doesn't travel well. Frustrating.....
    10-05-2016 03:31 PM
    All I can say is if it were true and Samsung issued another recall (which I highly doubt) I STILL wouldn't consider any iPhone.
    I don't know what the heck I would do. I guess I would just go back to my Note 5 and wait for a new Note 7. Maybe a Pixel, but it's lacking so man features I don't know if I can justify the price.
    pduffer likes this.
    10-05-2016 03:36 PM
    No more! I mean I have seen people sit on their iPhones in their back pocket an then it bends causing damage to the battery. Starts smoking and fries. I just wonder if like I said before...is there a tolerance issue where something touches that shouldn't inside. My replacement never even got warm on its initial setup while charging.
    I remember reading early reviews of the Note 7 saying it did very well in the bend test, meaning it did not bend at all.
    To all the doubters, especially the timeline involved - I just can't believe he would be making this up facing possible federal prosecution for intentionally letting this happen. Could he be covering for the fact he never really upgraded his phone? Possibly, as there are still folks on this forum who have declared they are not going to upgrade their phones, but so hard to believe he would think he could get away with that kind of coverup.
    yeah, that time frame doesn't add up at all. Maybe there were some mixups in details, but none of that makes sense
    Well his wife was at home so she could have taken the picture. Though they had to find a new flight for everybody, I wonder if he was allowed to re-board another flight? If you bring something on a plane that explodes they probably won't let you fly right away while they investigate.

So he could have gone right to a store from the Airport to get a new device. Still a tight timeline, but doable.
    10-05-2016 03:40 PM
    To all the doubters, especially the timeline involved - I just can't believe he would be making this up facing possible federal prosecution for intentionally letting this happen. Could he be covering for the fact he never really upgraded his phone? Possibly, as there are still folks on this forum who have declared they are not going to upgrade their phones, but so hard to believe he would think he could get away with that kind of coverup.
    If that's the case then the truth will come out. The carrier can verify whether the device was replaced.

Not saying I think he'd lying but rather that tmhis story will be investigated. I'm sure the FAA will want answers.
    10-05-2016 03:41 PM
    My best guess: he either never upgraded the phone in the first place, or he was cheated and someone sold him an "upgraded" phone that wasn't. We'll see how this pans out. However, if this turns out to be the real deal, the Note 7 is history. It'd likely be completely banned on all aircraft and Samsung would have to recall it again - which means it'd probably never come back again.
    10-05-2016 03:41 PM
    Agreed. If he was using a recalled phone, the IMEI would be in the system and he'd get caught pretty quick.

Maybe he got it from a 3rd party AT&T store and maybe they passed off a recalled one as a good one? That wouldn't explain the green battery icon though.
    10-05-2016 03:42 PM
    I'm not saying he's lying or did it on purpose. The time line is a little sketchy, but that could be just an innocent mix up of details in the article. But on the other hand, people have been known to do stupid things to try and get some attention lol

I'm not going to make any judgements though as not all the facts are out. This does worry me though as I was going to try and get a N7 this afternoon
    10-05-2016 03:42 PM
    If it burned, exactly how did they confirm it was a replacement? Was it still able to power on to see the green battery symbol? Or did they just take the person's word for it? Sounds like another bogus claim to me. I love my Note 7, but Samsung just has been given the raw deal as far as media goes. They latch on to every single claim but never revisit when it turns out these stories are false.
    treedabl and kevinpleasants like this.
    10-05-2016 03:44 PM
    Let's hope we do not get a rash reaction and an actual expeditious review of the facts. Gizmodo would not approve of such a logical approach unless Apple is involved. For reals.
    dsignori likes this.
    10-05-2016 03:46 PM
    If it burned, exactly how did they confirm it was a replacement? Was it still able to power on to see the green battery symbol? Or did they just take the person's word for it? Sounds like another bogus claim to me. I love my Note 7, but Samsung just has been given the raw deal as far as media goes. They latch on to every single claim but never revisit when it turns out these stories are false.
    Considering Jeep Guy was a media meme for weeks until disproven... heck, even after disproven- My guess is the media will shoot first and not ask questions later.
    10-05-2016 03:49 PM
    I don't doubt something happened, but the first thing that also struck me was how fast it all occurred. This happened in the morning and by early afternoon he's already on an iPhone 7? Really? Which cell provider or store have you all dealt with recently that would turn everything around like that in just an hour or so? Also, I have to assume that he went home to get a picture of that box or something because otherwise who travels with the box? Anyway, not trying to turn a blind eye to the issues because if there is another issue with the Note 7, Samsung is going to really have to work some magic and I personally think the Note 7 would be dead. But part of me just feels as if there is something not right about these stories that are popping up now. That Verge article... did any of you read the comments? It is full of misinformed people that are clueless as to what happened with the original Note 7 other than it being recalled. Anyway, I do hope this is sorted out. My Note 7 has been great and it never gets hot unless I'm doing something intensive on it.

One thing I think is asinine are the comments I've read on those articles about how Samsung PR is trying to hide this. Sorry, I don't believe that. If there is an issue, it will continue to happen over and over again and no PR team will be able to spin that. Samsung wasn't born yesterday. But that said, they do have a responsibility to investigate this to see if this is really an issue.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    10-05-2016 03:55 PM
    The owner stated it was a replacement that he got on the 21st, he mentioned that he also performed the update that turns the battery icon green. As far as the picture goes, who knows if that's the box to his actual phone (media could have simply used a stock image to show what the black square is supposed to look like as reference).
    10-05-2016 03:56 PM
    I don't doubt something happened, but the first thing that also struck me was how fast it all occurred. This happened in the morning and by early afternoon he's already on an iPhone 7? Really? Which cell provider or store have you all dealt with recently that would turn everything around like that in just an hour or so? Also, I have to assume that he went home to get a picture of that box or something because otherwise who travels with the box? Anyway, not trying to turn a blind eye to the issues because if there is another issue with the Note 7, Samsung is going to really have to work some magic and I personally think the Note 7 would be dead. But part of me just feels as if there is something not right about these stories that are popping up now. That Verge article... did any of you read the comments? It is full of misinformed people that are clueless as to what happened with the original Note 7 other than it being recalled. Anyway, I do hope this is sorted out. My Note 7 has been great and it never gets hot unless I'm doing something intensive on it.

One thing I think is asinine are the comments I've read on those articles about how Samsung PR is trying to hide this. Sorry, I don't believe that. If there is an issue, it will continue to happen over and over again and no PR team will be able to spin that. Samsung wasn't born yesterday. But that said, they do have a responsibility to investigate this to see if this is really an issue.
    Probably just bought the iPhone at a store in the airport and will deal with the refund later, if he's traveling he'll need a phone. The pic could have just been a stock image; the article said he borrowed a phone to call his wife, maybe he had her take a picture of the box and email it to him.
    10-05-2016 04:02 PM
    Also, I have to assume that he went home to get a picture of that box or something because otherwise who travels with the box?
    Well, articles say his wife was at home so I can only assume she sent him the picture. It could be a work phone so he likely just went to an AT&T store and put it on his corporate card and will deal with the return later. The Verge article was posted at 1:15 EST, the phone had issues at 9:00ish EST. One would think the TSA would hold that guy for a while since he brought an exploding thing on a plane.. just to make sure nothing shady is going on.. Pretty tight timeframe though, I would agree. Unless he said he's getting an iPhone 7 and the news places heard GOT an iPhone 7.
    10-05-2016 04:08 PM
    Unfortunate situation, although I'm suspicious of the guy's story about only using wireless charging...I'm sure he used a cheap cable. But if true, the the wireless charging thing may be bad for these phones if overused.

In any case, I hope Southwest or other airlines don't overreact and do a detailed investigation before making other Note 7 owners suffer.
    10-05-2016 04:18 PM
    These $900 phones shouldn't be so sensitive to cheap cables. I've never had a phone that was so sensitive to cables like I'm reading here or how people are babying their phones against cheap cables. Worst case on the cheap cable... it doesn't charge... not blowup the dang phone, smh. Amazing this great usb-c connector can't have some sort of smart circuitry to protect from this. Maybe non of this would have happened if it used micro-usb. Doesn't the S7/Edge support quickcharge 3.0 and Note 7 only 2.0? What's with that with almost identical specs?

Unfortunate situation, although I'm suspicious of the guy's story about only using wireless charging...I'm sure he used a cheap cable. But if true, the the wireless charging thing may be bad for these phones if overused.

In any case, I hope Southwest or other airlines don't overreact and do a detailed investigation before making other Note 7 owners suffer.
    10-05-2016 04:30 PM
    Do we even know if was a Note 7 for sure? Remember the kid in NY who was burned playing with one? Turned out it wasn't a Note correct?
    10-05-2016 04:31 PM
    Do we even know if was a Note 7 for sure? Remember the kid in NY who was burned playing with one? Turned out it wasn't a Note correct?
    The picture looks like a Note 7...
    10-05-2016 04:33 PM
    Aside from this report, and the one a week or two ago from China, have there been any other similar reports?

I know the one from China was questionable so I'm wondering about the details of this isolated situation. Folks have reported a bit about the phone feeling overheated, but nothing like with the first batch of N7's where phones have blown. I suppose we'll find out more details in the coming days about this case.
    PraetorianGuard14 likes this.
    10-05-2016 04:41 PM
    The picture looks like a Note 7...
    Oh i had read a USA today article about it.....that didn't have a pic with it.
    10-05-2016 04:44 PM
    Let's get real here folks - it frankly doesn't make any difference whether it was a replacement or not; whether he lied or not; whether he abused it or not; whether he used the wrong charger or not - the real issue is that a fire occurred on an airplane (thank god while still on the ground) - and it WAS A NOTE 7! How do the airlines take ANY risk and allow Note 7's on the planes? You can say that is absurd and a knee jerk reaction, but do you want to be corporate counsel and tell the board of Southwest we should err on the side of accommodating Note 7 users vs. the other 150 passengers on the 737?

Really?
    ajb1965 and rusty502 like this.
    10-05-2016 04:47 PM
    Let's get real here folks - it frankly doesn't make any difference whether it was a replacement or not; whether he lied or not; whether he abused it or not; whether he used the wrong charger or not - the real issue is that a fire occurred on an airplane (thank god while still on the ground) - and it WAS A NOTE 7! How do the airlines take ANY risk and allow Note 7's on the planes? You can say that is absurd and a knee jerk reaction, but do you want to be corporate counsel and tell the board of Southwest we should err on the side of accommodating Note 7 users vs. the other 150 passengers on the 737?

Really?
    Okay, so no other phone has ever had any issues on a phone? The debate is if it truly was a replacement phone, there are still possibly issues. If it wasn't a replacement phone, it changes a lot of things.
    Odd that it started smoking right when he went to power it down, though.
    PraetorianGuard14 likes this.
    10-05-2016 04:51 PM
693 12345 ...