10-08-2016 11:00 PM
693 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I managed to fly to Korea and back without a smartphone. It's 15 hours one way. I think we'll survive without our devices being turned on during flights if it comes to that.
    10-05-2016 07:11 PM
    Here's the NBC News short interview with the N7 owner:

NBC News report

From my perspective, doesn't seem like the guy is trying to make a quick buck or two, and he didn't seem overly dramatic. The device was obviously a N7 from photos.
    Interesting - this video shows what appears to be his box - the IMEI numbers match what was shown on The Verge report. Seems more and more legit to me.
    10-05-2016 07:12 PM
    If this ends up being a replacement Note 7, i'm done. Just going to take mine back. I don't want to deal with all this crap again.
    Hate to say it, but I may do the same and get a V20 when they come out. But now I sold my backup phone I have nothing I can use. I do have an old Windows phone I may have to borrow.
    10-05-2016 07:13 PM
    Forget recalling. Damage is done.

Samsung needs to cancel the Note series, refund every singe 7 sold.

Focus on the Galaxy S.

Whether this is true or not I believe there will be always someone who wants to see a company fall.
    10-05-2016 07:14 PM
    10-05-2016 07:15 PM
    Oh, boy.....thanks for the link.

On a side note, why isn't there a "like" button on some posts? A user setting or something? Like your post - I have no option to "like" your post.
    There is a like button. On the bottom of each post there is a thumbs up symbol. Tap that and you liked the post.
    10-05-2016 07:15 PM
    I love this phone a ton but at this point, I guess I'll keep it until the note8 (possibly another name?) Is released and then pay off the rest of my balance on my note7. I predict Samsung will go all out on the 8 series.
    What sucks is the Note 7 might actually have less resale value than the Note 5 now. I'm going to keep mine nonetheless considering the Pixel is underwhelming and I don't like the interface of the LG and Moto devices. But when the Note 8 comes next year I'll just have to use ATT Next for once in my life and take the hit rather than paying off the device. The Note 7 probably won't sell well next year.
    Viscomi4444 likes this.
    10-05-2016 07:22 PM
    Forget recalling. Damage is done.

Samsung needs to cancel the Note series, refund every singe 7 sold.

Focus on the Galaxy S.

Whether this is true or not I believe there will be always someone who wants to see a company fall.
    I agree unfortunately.
    10-05-2016 07:23 PM
    What sucks is the Note 7 might actually have less resale value than the Note 5 now. I'm going to keep mine nonetheless considering the Pixel is underwhelming and I don't like the interface of the LG and Moto devices. But when the Note 8 comes next year I'll just have to use ATT Next for once in my life and take the hit rather than paying off the device. The Note 7 probably won't sell well next year.
    Good thing I did Next 1 year replacement myself.
    10-05-2016 07:25 PM
    If your On a flight or trip and phone dies... or blows up... I know I can't go without a phone for a long period of time or take too much time to get sidetracked getting a replacement ... what do you do?

He could have gone 7 Edge but after recall and blow up can u not blame him for shying away from Samsung? What other android options left in a quick pinch?

I wouldn't discount iPhone as an option. Great phone and solid choice for last minute choice no drama.

Why would it be "a bit off"? He obviously couldn't use that device and if this bodes true, a lot of us won't have the confidence in Samsung. He needed a device and went a different route. If this happened to me I think I'd do the same thing - just not with an Apple device.
    10-05-2016 07:33 PM
    What really concerns me about this whole affair is that from what I have read, Samsung SDI has said from the beginning that their batteries were not the problem and that the real issue was a bad circuit design or flaw with the phone. This incident adds fuel to the fire, pun intended.
    10-05-2016 07:39 PM
    I feel like if one more Note device erupts before the year is out, just one more, it's over for this phone.

What a shame
    10-05-2016 07:40 PM
    Just saw the guy on nbc news, don't think he is lying. Not good for future travel plans.
    The question probably is if really turned off and a post recall device..... Still, we need to enforce the same standard on all electronic devices, since this is not in any stretch the first device to heat up and smoke. iPhone has had a few over the years as well as other more dubious things like Ecigs (not exactly a QC standard enforced device).
    10-05-2016 07:43 PM
    What really concerns me about this whole affair is that from what I have read, Samsung SDI has said from the beginning that their batteries were not the problem and that the real issue was a bad circuit design or flaw with the phone. This incident adds fuel to the fire, pun intended.
    That conflicts with the finding they published stating it was a battery manufacturing issue. Too much pressure during the process to seal the layers together. The result was insulation issues that could create a short with the anode and cathode layers. That was published during the CPSC review.
    chazglenn3 likes this.
    10-05-2016 07:46 PM
    Watching ABC news tonight with David Muir and when they started taking about this story they showed the "burning jeep" as if it was the same deal.
    Facts are now a point of convenience to most of the main media. They used to be to some degree a check and balance. Not anymore.
    10-05-2016 07:48 PM
    Oh boy.

Here we go again.

The N7 is pretty much Samsung's biggest headache. If there's one more, oh dear.

Mine is now 1 week old and has gotten a few cycles in its battery. But being an owner of one, I am pretty concerned about it.

If they indeed have another flaw, I may have to consider other options. A shame, because I really like this phone, but I can't use a phone that has a history of safety issues as my daily driver.

I'm half-hoping that this may be an isolated case, but we'll have to wait and see.

Oh, and Samsung's official PR statement did nothing to alleviate my concerns.
    10-05-2016 07:52 PM
    All I know for sure I there are a whole lot of Samsung employees who will not see sleep any time soon.
    10-05-2016 07:55 PM
    Oh boy.

Here we go again.

Mine is now 1 week old and has gotten a few cycles in its battery. But being an owner of one, I am pretty concerned about it.

If they indeed have another flaw, I may have to consider other options. A shame, because I really like this phone, but I can't use a phone that has a history of safety issues as my daily driver.

I'm half-hoping that this may be an isolated case, but we'll have to wait and see.

Oh, you know Samsung has the pucker factor of plus 10 about now. I definitely don't have a warm and fuzzy.
    10-05-2016 07:56 PM
    Unless the phone's owner is either clueless or dishonest, Samsung is screwed. He didn't seem clueless but I suppose he could have somehow faked it, but I doubt it. The penalties if proven would be extremely harsh.

Perception is reality and airlines are not going to allow Note 7's to fly domestically which really makes it no longer an option. I hope this is settled once and for all soon. I guess I'll go back to the S7 Edge since it keeps the BOGO deal with AT&T, but really not happy. First and last Samsung if this device gets killed off.
    10-05-2016 07:59 PM
    The way to avoid this is to simply shut off service to all IMEIs that were built before the replacements were made. This way it'll ensure that 99% of the defective phones are out of circulation and force the laggers to get replacements unless they want a $900 wifi-device or brick. Then everything would be reset to "zero" and future incidents can be properly referenced to the replacements.
    Viscomi4444 likes this.
    10-05-2016 08:01 PM
    Unless the phone's owner is either clueless or dishonest, Samsung is screwed. He didn't seem clueless but I suppose he could have somehow faked it, but I doubt it. The penalties if proven would be extremely harsh.

Perception is reality and airlines are not going to allow Note 7's to fly domestically which really makes it no longer an option. I hope this is settled once and for all soon. I guess I'll go back to the S7 Edge since it keeps the BOGO deal with AT&T, but really not happy. First and last Samsung if this device gets killed off.
    I wouldnt say last Samsung for me but im just going to take my replacement Note 7 back. Ive had enough with this. Wish i wouldn't have returned my iPhone 7 plus yeaterday.
    If it turns out to be a new N7 and wasn't otherwise damaged, then yeah, Samsung needs to offer a full refund for all Note 7's, and I'm even at the point that I'll switch to something else. I like the phone a lot, but this is ridiculous.
    Oh boy.

Here we go again.

This is now political (for lack of better words), since the CPSC lead that blessed the recall campaign is now on the hook to some degree as well. If this is legit, the response will likely be swift and brutal. Yes, at least two iPhones have caught "fire" on planes and ditto other less than QC stringent devices, but this is related to the Note 7 that Samsung complied with via the CPSC. Any sign of lack of being forthright with data would likely spell doom.

All depends if the event was too legit to quit. Samsung was too slow with Jeep Guy and a few other high profile faux Note 7 events and the media even now are bringing those events (falsely) up. Samsung's efforts to this point to some degree have facilitated the perception. They should have placed all resources to validate and PR to work with the media, but Samsung seemed to knee jerk along with the media.
    10-05-2016 08:04 PM
    That conflicts with the finding they published stating it was a battery manufacturing issue. Too much pressure during the process to seal the layers together. The result was insulation issues that could create a short with the anode and cathode layers. That was published during the CPSC review.
    See I read something like that and have to imagine CPSC chemists would definitely have the ability to test the new Note's batteries for similar failures. Google "exploding [insert OEM name]" and you will find iPhones and LG's and such all have "exploded" at one time or another. This is actually a reflection on the volatility of lithium ion batteries.

I really, really , really, really don't want to have to return my Note 7. There is just no other phone available right now that I want and I can't go weeks without a phone.
    treedabl likes this.
    10-05-2016 08:09 PM
    See I read something like that and have to imagine CPSC chemists would definitely have the ability to test the new Note's batteries for similar failures. Google "exploding [insert OEM name]" and you will find iPhones and LG's and such all have "exploded" at one time or another. This is actually a reflection on the volatility of lithium ion batteries.

I really, really , really, really don't want to have to return my Note 7. There is just no other phone available right now that I want and I can't go weeks without a phone.
    Now that's going to be quite an issue.

I, too, really like my Note 7, but seeing reports like these make me feel concerned. And people denying these just makes me feel even more so.
    10-05-2016 08:14 PM
693 ... 45678 ...