Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
One weird thing, the owner said he got a replacement on the 21st, I believe that's the first day the the replacements were available. In this news video clip the owner said the replacement was "sent to him", I didn't think any of the carriers shipped the phones directly to the owners, you had to go into a local carrier store and swap them out. Could have been a mix up and he meant the local carrier store but who knows. Here's the link: Replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phone catches fire on Southwest plane

comestim

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Any phone can start on fire. There was an IPhone that started on fire on a flight to Hawaii last month. One report does not mcan there will be another recall. if your see reports there are lithium battery fires on a daily basis.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
No more! I mean I have seen people sit on their iPhones in their back pocket an then it bends causing damage to the battery. Starts smoking and fries. I just wonder if like I said before...is there a tolerance issue where something touches that shouldn't inside. My replacement never even got warm on its initial setup while charging.

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
One weird thing, the owner said he got a replacement on the 21st, I believe that's the first day the the replacements were available. In this news video clip the owner said the replacement was "sent to him", I didn't think any of the carriers shipped the phones directly to the owners, you had to go into a local carrier store and swap them out. Could have been a mix up and he meant the local carrier store but who knows. Here's the link: Replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phone catches fire on Southwest plane
Well I picked my replacement up on the 20th ...but that is true they weren't shipping them out....Had to go in store......Pretty sure this is just another Jeep case cause a powered down note 7 catching fire on a plane is the perfect storm and a little too suspect....

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well I picked my replacement up on the 20th ...but that is true they weren't shipping them out....Had to go in store......Pretty sure this is just another Jeep case cause a powered down note 7 catching fire on a plane is the perfect storm and a little too suspect....
My replacement was shipped. They were being shipped to.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Any phone can start on fire. There was an IPhone that started on fire on a flight to Hawaii last month. One report does not mcan there will be another recall. if your see reports there are lithium battery fires on a daily basis.
Logic and hysteria though are odd partners.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Mine was shipped.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
All I can say is if it were true and Samsung issued another recall (which I highly doubt) I STILL wouldn't consider any iPhone.

ponytd

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I will say that even though I do believe what was written, because the Verge is usually really good, there are some oddities at first glance with the event. It stuck me as odd that supposedly it happened THIS MORNING, and since that time: .... the user had time to disembark, presumably deal with security and questions from the incident, then search for, locate, buy, and activate a new iPhone 7, produce the original replacement Note 7 BOX which is pictured (but hiding the IMEI), all by 1:15 pm or earlier when this article was written at the Verge. Odd, but again, worrisome no matter what.

yeah, that time frame doesn't add up at all. Maybe there were some mixups in details, but none of that makes sense

mikechaudron

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm flying Southwest tomorrow. I posted earlier about the process with them.

I'm really torn about this. I love the Note 7 but as a very frequent flyer I don't want to deal with this. I'll exhibit caution and let this play out, but I simply can't have a phone that doesn't travel well. Frustrating.....

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is if it were true and Samsung issued another recall (which I highly doubt) I STILL wouldn't consider any iPhone.

I don't know what the heck I would do. I guess I would just go back to my Note 5 and wait for a new Note 7. Maybe a Pixel, but it's lacking so man features I don't know if I can justify the price.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
No more! I mean I have seen people sit on their iPhones in their back pocket an then it bends causing damage to the battery. Starts smoking and fries. I just wonder if like I said before...is there a tolerance issue where something touches that shouldn't inside. My replacement never even got warm on its initial setup while charging.
I remember reading early reviews of the Note 7 saying it did very well in the bend test, meaning it did not bend at all.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
To all the doubters, especially the timeline involved - I just can't believe he would be making this up facing possible federal prosecution for intentionally letting this happen. Could he be covering for the fact he never really upgraded his phone? Possibly, as there are still folks on this forum who have declared they are not going to upgrade their phones, but so hard to believe he would think he could get away with that kind of coverup.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
yeah, that time frame doesn't add up at all. Maybe there were some mixups in details, but none of that makes sense

Well his wife was at home so she could have taken the picture. Though they had to find a new flight for everybody, I wonder if he was allowed to re-board another flight? If you bring something on a plane that explodes they probably won't let you fly right away while they investigate. :)

So he could have gone right to a store from the Airport to get a new device. Still a tight timeline, but doable.

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
To all the doubters, especially the timeline involved - I just can't believe he would be making this up facing possible federal prosecution for intentionally letting this happen. Could he be covering for the fact he never really upgraded his phone? Possibly, as there are still folks on this forum who have declared they are not going to upgrade their phones, but so hard to believe he would think he could get away with that kind of coverup.

If that's the case then the truth will come out. The carrier can verify whether the device was replaced.

Not saying I think he'd lying but rather that tmhis story will be investigated. I'm sure the FAA will want answers.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
My best guess: he either never upgraded the phone in the first place, or he was cheated and someone sold him an "upgraded" phone that wasn't. We'll see how this pans out. However, if this turns out to be the real deal, the Note 7 is history. It'd likely be completely banned on all aircraft and Samsung would have to recall it again - which means it'd probably never come back again.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. If he was using a recalled phone, the IMEI would be in the system and he'd get caught pretty quick.

Maybe he got it from a 3rd party AT&T store and maybe they passed off a recalled one as a good one? That wouldn't explain the green battery icon though.

ponytd

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

I'm not saying he's lying or did it on purpose. The time line is a little sketchy, but that could be just an innocent mix up of details in the article. But on the other hand, people have been known to do stupid things to try and get some attention lol

I'm not going to make any judgements though as not all the facts are out. This does worry me though as I was going to try and get a N7 this afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca