Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
If it burned, exactly how did they confirm it was a replacement? Was it still able to power on to see the green battery symbol? Or did they just take the person's word for it? Sounds like another bogus claim to me. I love my Note 7, but Samsung just has been given the raw deal as far as media goes. They latch on to every single claim but never revisit when it turns out these stories are false.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Let's hope we do not get a rash reaction and an actual expeditious review of the facts. Gizmodo would not approve of such a logical approach unless Apple is involved. For reals.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If it burned, exactly how did they confirm it was a replacement? Was it still able to power on to see the green battery symbol? Or did they just take the person's word for it? Sounds like another bogus claim to me. I love my Note 7, but Samsung just has been given the raw deal as far as media goes. They latch on to every single claim but never revisit when it turns out these stories are false.
Considering Jeep Guy was a media meme for weeks until disproven... heck, even after disproven- My guess is the media will shoot first and not ask questions later.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't doubt something happened, but the first thing that also struck me was how fast it all occurred. This happened in the morning and by early afternoon he's already on an iPhone 7? Really? Which cell provider or store have you all dealt with recently that would turn everything around like that in just an hour or so? Also, I have to assume that he went home to get a picture of that box or something because otherwise who travels with the box? Anyway, not trying to turn a blind eye to the issues because if there is another issue with the Note 7, Samsung is going to really have to work some magic and I personally think the Note 7 would be dead. But part of me just feels as if there is something not right about these stories that are popping up now. That Verge article... did any of you read the comments? It is full of misinformed people that are clueless as to what happened with the original Note 7 other than it being recalled. Anyway, I do hope this is sorted out. My Note 7 has been great and it never gets hot unless I'm doing something intensive on it.

One thing I think is asinine are the comments I've read on those articles about how Samsung PR is trying to hide this. Sorry, I don't believe that. If there is an issue, it will continue to happen over and over again and no PR team will be able to spin that. Samsung wasn't born yesterday. But that said, they do have a responsibility to investigate this to see if this is really an issue.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

The owner stated it was a replacement that he got on the 21st, he mentioned that he also performed the update that turns the battery icon green. As far as the picture goes, who knows if that's the box to his actual phone (media could have simply used a stock image to show what the black square is supposed to look like as reference).

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't doubt something happened, but the first thing that also struck me was how fast it all occurred. This happened in the morning and by early afternoon he's already on an iPhone 7? Really? Which cell provider or store have you all dealt with recently that would turn everything around like that in just an hour or so? Also, I have to assume that he went home to get a picture of that box or something because otherwise who travels with the box? Anyway, not trying to turn a blind eye to the issues because if there is another issue with the Note 7, Samsung is going to really have to work some magic and I personally think the Note 7 would be dead. But part of me just feels as if there is something not right about these stories that are popping up now. That Verge article... did any of you read the comments? It is full of misinformed people that are clueless as to what happened with the original Note 7 other than it being recalled. Anyway, I do hope this is sorted out. My Note 7 has been great and it never gets hot unless I'm doing something intensive on it.

One thing I think is asinine are the comments I've read on those articles about how Samsung PR is trying to hide this. Sorry, I don't believe that. If there is an issue, it will continue to happen over and over again and no PR team will be able to spin that. Samsung wasn't born yesterday. But that said, they do have a responsibility to investigate this to see if this is really an issue.

Probably just bought the iPhone at a store in the airport and will deal with the refund later, if he's traveling he'll need a phone. The pic could have just been a stock image; the article said he borrowed a phone to call his wife, maybe he had her take a picture of the box and email it to him.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Also, I have to assume that he went home to get a picture of that box or something because otherwise who travels with the box?

Well, articles say his wife was at home so I can only assume she sent him the picture. It could be a work phone so he likely just went to an AT&T store and put it on his corporate card and will deal with the return later. The Verge article was posted at 1:15 EST, the phone had issues at 9:00ish EST. One would think the TSA would hold that guy for a while since he brought an exploding thing on a plane.. just to make sure nothing shady is going on.. Pretty tight timeframe though, I would agree. Unless he said he's getting an iPhone 7 and the news places heard GOT an iPhone 7.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunate situation, although I'm suspicious of the guy's story about only using wireless charging...I'm sure he used a cheap cable. But if true, the the wireless charging thing may be bad for these phones if overused.

In any case, I hope Southwest or other airlines don't overreact and do a detailed investigation before making other Note 7 owners suffer.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
These $900 phones shouldn't be so sensitive to cheap cables. :confused: I've never had a phone that was so sensitive to cables like I'm reading here or how people are babying their phones against cheap cables. Worst case on the cheap cable... it doesn't charge... not blowup the dang phone, smh. Amazing this great usb-c connector can't have some sort of smart circuitry to protect from this. :confused: Maybe non of this would have happened if it used micro-usb. Doesn't the S7/Edge support quickcharge 3.0 and Note 7 only 2.0? What's with that with almost identical specs?

Unfortunate situation, although I'm suspicious of the guy's story about only using wireless charging...I'm sure he used a cheap cable. But if true, the the wireless charging thing may be bad for these phones if overused.

In any case, I hope Southwest or other airlines don't overreact and do a detailed investigation before making other Note 7 owners suffer.

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Aside from this report, and the one a week or two ago from China, have there been any other similar reports?

I know the one from China was questionable so I'm wondering about the details of this isolated situation. Folks have reported a bit about the phone feeling overheated, but nothing like with the first batch of N7's where phones have blown. I suppose we'll find out more details in the coming days about this case.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Let's get real here folks - it frankly doesn't make any difference whether it was a replacement or not; whether he lied or not; whether he abused it or not; whether he used the wrong charger or not - the real issue is that a fire occurred on an airplane (thank god while still on the ground) - and it WAS A NOTE 7! How do the airlines take ANY risk and allow Note 7's on the planes? You can say that is absurd and a knee jerk reaction, but do you want to be corporate counsel and tell the board of Southwest we should err on the side of accommodating Note 7 users vs. the other 150 passengers on the 737?

Really?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Let's get real here folks - it frankly doesn't make any difference whether it was a replacement or not; whether he lied or not; whether he abused it or not; whether he used the wrong charger or not - the real issue is that a fire occurred on an airplane (thank god while still on the ground) - and it WAS A NOTE 7! How do the airlines take ANY risk and allow Note 7's on the planes? You can say that is absurd and a knee jerk reaction, but do you want to be corporate counsel and tell the board of Southwest we should err on the side of accommodating Note 7 users vs. the other 150 passengers on the 737?

Really?
Okay, so no other phone has ever had any issues on a phone? The debate is if it truly was a replacement phone, there are still possibly issues. If it wasn't a replacement phone, it changes a lot of things.
Odd that it started smoking right when he went to power it down, though.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Aside from this report, and the one a week or two ago from China, have there been any other similar reports?

I know the one from China was questionable so I'm wondering about the details of this isolated situation. Folks have reported a bit about the phone feeling overheated, but nothing like with the first batch of N7's where phones have blown. I suppose we'll find out more details in the coming days about this case.

Not really, this one seems questionable too.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
What about E-cigs? Those can burn on planes. Where is the hoopla? A lot more of those than Note 7s.

Ditto for all the cheap tablets, etc. Perspective shalt notteth get in the wayeth of rash conclusions and hysteria. :)

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Okay, so no other phone has ever had any issues on a phone? The debate is if it was a replacement phone, there are still possibly issues. If it wasn't a replacement phone, it changes a lot of things.
My question is if it was a newer replacement phone, why was it already powered off upon boarding unless he thought there might be an issue?
Maybe he was being cautious in case anyone questioned him? Who knows for sure?

You can't compare random one-off cell phone fires in the past to a known over 100 incidenrts of fires in a specific manufacturer's model. My point is the Note 7 BRAND is tainted, and the airlines are going to be put to a severe test on whether they will even allow any Note 7 on board unless they visually inspect each one, insures it has a green battery (heaven help us if folks start hacking that), and we all pray he is lying and this was not a replacement phone.

It doesn't matter one iota whether it was a replacement phone or not...if you are an airline, do you want to be accused of making an "economic decision" on risk vs ticket revenue in letting these on board? How did that work out for Ford and the Pinto gas tank fires (and choosing not to add that protective donut)?

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Samsung investigated that case and said that the heat was an external source so it wasn't the battery, more like a cooking hot plate or something.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
OK - I can tell I'm not making myself clear around here - so I'll just move on. But please remember one simple fact - it was a Note 7 on fire inside an airplane shortly before takeoff - that Board at Southwest is thanking the good lord that they dodged a bullet and did not have to deal with this at 32,000' with panicking passengers.

This is not going to turn out well for Samsung even if the guy intentionally did this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon