Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Let's get real here folks - it frankly doesn't make any difference whether it was a replacement or not; whether he lied or not; whether he abused it or not; whether he used the wrong charger or not - the real issue is that a fire occurred on an airplane (thank god while still on the ground) - and it WAS A NOTE 7! How do the airlines take ANY risk and allow Note 7's on the planes? You can say that is absurd and a knee jerk reaction, but do you want to be corporate counsel and tell the board of Southwest we should err on the side of accommodating Note 7 users vs. the other 150 passengers on the 737?

Really?

An iPhone 6 caught fire on a plane to Hawaii back in March, another iPhone recently caught on fire in a guys back pocket and there are other reports of iPhone's catching on fire as well... you would have to ban all phones as they all contain the problematic component which is the lithium ion battery. I just don't see that happening.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
OK - I can tell I'm not making myself clear around here - so I'll just move on. But please remember one simple fact - it was a Note 7 on fire inside an airplane shortly before takeoff - that Board at Southwest is thanking the good lord that they dodged a bullet and did not have to deal with this at 32,000' with panicking passengers.

This is not going to turn out well for Samsung even if the guy intentionally did this...
This is not the first electronic device to do this on a plane. An iPhone was in the air. Where is the same standard for other devices? Seems a profound double standard.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Let's get real here folks - it frankly doesn't make any difference whether it was a replacement or not; whether he lied or not; whether he abused it or not; whether he used the wrong charger or not - the real issue is that a fire occurred on an airplane (thank god while still on the ground) - and it WAS A NOTE 7! How do the airlines take ANY risk and allow Note 7's on the planes? You can say that is absurd and a knee jerk reaction, but do you want to be corporate counsel and tell the board of Southwest we should err on the side of accommodating Note 7 users vs. the other 150 passengers on the 737?

Really?

Right. Nothing else matters except this was a Note 7.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
..... This isn't Jeep Guy, is it?? Perhaps flying back to Florida...... :) ;)
That explains everything !!!

31ad6d2a36f6f1dff80f0c21a29bb6b1.gif

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Right. Nothing else matters except this was a Note 7.

Well, yes and no.

Nothing else may matter to the airlines, and that is bad for all of us. However for the rest of us, other things matter (like if it actually WAS a replacement), for a ton of reasons. If this was a replacement, then all possibilities are open - who knows where it could go from here...

jsk0703

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Just hope this was isolated or some odd defect. Not worried necessarily at this point but my N7 is my only phone and I rely on it heavily. Shutting it off on a flight isn't a problem but if it gets perma banned on flights I'll be up the creek and looking for a new phone.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have teh S7 edge now. Would it be a good idea to wait on buying another Note 7 now after this?

Can regular, non techie people tell it's an edge and not a Note? So if you fly, would an attendant who has an iphone, know?

If you're asking is it safe? I don't know. Any phone could catch fire.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Can we please quit using the word "explodes" Nothing is exploding.

Agreed...i took issue with the term "explodes" also during the 1st round of forum threads of the 1st batch of Note 7's battery issues and all i got were a sea of replies stating, "that's the correct term for a faulty battery" so i was outnumbered and dropped the issue. But i totally agree, when i think of an "explosion" i think of shards of metal/glass & fireballs... However, a month later, i suppose whether it "explodes" or is "simply possessed by a demon", either way, the Note 7 line is doomed...

i passed on the Note 7 due to high price, reports of easily scratching & lack of color choices, but it still makes me kinda sad : (

BTC

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Can regular, non techie people tell it's an edge and not a Note? So if you fly, would an attendant who has an iphone, know?

If you're asking is it safe? I don't know. Any phone could catch fire.
They would only have to be instructed to look at the bottom to see if there is an S-pen, would only take a second.

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Just curious. If you knew about the recall and didn't do anything about it. Catches on fire on a big plane.. Would you admit to it being the recalled device? Or lie and say you did get the new device. ?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
No official confirmation this was a replacement Note 7. At least I haven't seen anything to the contrary.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
They would only have to be instructed to look at the bottom to see if there is an S-pen, would only take a second.
I haven't flown since 2010. My daughter is taking me on a "surprise" trip Fri-Sun. I was considering bringing my Note 5 just in case anyone gives me a problem (no idea which airline), even after showing them the green battery indicator.

So if they see the tip of that S-Pen, it's a Note 7 by default?? My husband has my Note 4 and my Mom has my Note 3. All have S-Pens in plain sight.

They'll have to do better than that.

Lethal1148

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
This does not bode well for the phone. IF this is a legit report (which as others have pointed out, the timeline is way too fast), I think we would need a few more replacement N7s melting down to taint the name beyond repair. I really hope this isn't the case. This phone is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781