Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Let's get real here folks - it frankly doesn't make any difference whether it was a replacement or not; whether he lied or not; whether he abused it or not; whether he used the wrong charger or not - the real issue is that a fire occurred on an airplane (thank god while still on the ground) - and it WAS A NOTE 7! How do the airlines take ANY risk and allow Note 7's on the planes? You can say that is absurd and a knee jerk reaction, but do you want to be corporate counsel and tell the board of Southwest we should err on the side of accommodating Note 7 users vs. the other 150 passengers on the 737?

Really?
Remember the days we had to power down phones on planes..... I see those days coming back, not just note 7, all phones. We survived back then, we can now.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same way. Its just odd he was able to get an iPhone just moments later when his phone is still in custody. Just seems a bit off.

But I'm waiting for the investigation. It's just a bit disheartening since I love my Note 7. I don't see any device better than it. It just feels great in my hands and works great. Hopefully its an isolated incident or Samsung may have to do yet another recall on their recall and then probably just give everyone S8's for the hassle.

Why would it be "a bit off"? He obviously couldn't use that device and if this bodes true, a lot of us won't have the confidence in Samsung. He needed a device and went a different route. If this happened to me I think I'd do the same thing - just not with an Apple device.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I love this phone a ton but at this point, I guess I'll keep it until the note8 (possibly another name?) Is released and then pay off the rest of my balance on my note7. I predict Samsung will go all out on the 8 series.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I managed to fly to Korea and back without a smartphone. It's 15 hours one way. I think we'll survive without our devices being turned on during flights if it comes to that.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Here's the NBC News short interview with the N7 owner:

NBC News report

From my perspective, doesn't seem like the guy is trying to make a quick buck or two, and he didn't seem overly dramatic. The device was obviously a N7 from photos.

Interesting - this video shows what appears to be his box - the IMEI numbers match what was shown on The Verge report. Seems more and more legit to me.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
If this ends up being a replacement Note 7, i'm done. Just going to take mine back. I don't want to deal with all this crap again.

Hate to say it, but I may do the same and get a V20 when they come out. But now I sold my backup phone I have nothing I can use. :( I do have an old Windows phone I may have to borrow. :(

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Forget recalling. Damage is done.

Samsung needs to cancel the Note series, refund every singe 7 sold.

Focus on the Galaxy S.

Whether this is true or not I believe there will be always someone who wants to see a company fall.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Oh, boy.....thanks for the link.

On a side note, why isn't there a "like" button on some posts? A user setting or something? Like your post - I have no option to "like" your post.
There is a like button. On the bottom of each post there is a thumbs up symbol. Tap that and you liked the post.

E Padilla

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I love this phone a ton but at this point, I guess I'll keep it until the note8 (possibly another name?) Is released and then pay off the rest of my balance on my note7. I predict Samsung will go all out on the 8 series.

What sucks is the Note 7 might actually have less resale value than the Note 5 now. I'm going to keep mine nonetheless considering the Pixel is underwhelming and I don't like the interface of the LG and Moto devices. But when the Note 8 comes next year I'll just have to use ATT Next for once in my life and take the hit rather than paying off the device. The Note 7 probably won't sell well next year.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Forget recalling. Damage is done.

Samsung needs to cancel the Note series, refund every singe 7 sold.

Focus on the Galaxy S.

Whether this is true or not I believe there will be always someone who wants to see a company fall.

I agree unfortunately.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
What sucks is the Note 7 might actually have less resale value than the Note 5 now. I'm going to keep mine nonetheless considering the Pixel is underwhelming and I don't like the interface of the LG and Moto devices. But when the Note 8 comes next year I'll just have to use ATT Next for once in my life and take the hit rather than paying off the device. The Note 7 probably won't sell well next year.

Good thing I did Next 1 year replacement myself.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If your On a flight or trip and phone dies... or blows up... I know I can't go without a phone for a long period of time or take too much time to get sidetracked getting a replacement ... what do you do?

He could have gone 7 Edge but after recall and blow up can u not blame him for shying away from Samsung? What other android options left in a quick pinch?

I wouldn't discount iPhone as an option. Great phone and solid choice for last minute choice no drama.

Why would it be "a bit off"? He obviously couldn't use that device and if this bodes true, a lot of us won't have the confidence in Samsung. He needed a device and went a different route. If this happened to me I think I'd do the same thing - just not with an Apple device.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
What really concerns me about this whole affair is that from what I have read, Samsung SDI has said from the beginning that their batteries were not the problem and that the real issue was a bad circuit design or flaw with the phone. This incident adds fuel to the fire, pun intended.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Just saw the guy on nbc news, don't think he is lying. Not good for future travel plans.

The question probably is if really turned off and a post recall device..... Still, we need to enforce the same standard on all electronic devices, since this is not in any stretch the first device to heat up and smoke. iPhone has had a few over the years as well as other more dubious things like Ecigs (not exactly a QC standard enforced device).

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
What really concerns me about this whole affair is that from what I have read, Samsung SDI has said from the beginning that their batteries were not the problem and that the real issue was a bad circuit design or flaw with the phone. This incident adds fuel to the fire, pun intended.

That conflicts with the finding they published stating it was a battery manufacturing issue. Too much pressure during the process to seal the layers together. The result was insulation issues that could create a short with the anode and cathode layers. That was published during the CPSC review.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Watching ABC news tonight with David Muir and when they started taking about this story they showed the "burning jeep" as if it was the same deal.

Facts are now a point of convenience to most of the main media. They used to be to some degree a check and balance. Not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.