Status
Not open for further replies.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Oh boy.

Here we go again.

The N7 is pretty much Samsung's biggest headache. If there's one more, oh dear.

Mine is now 1 week old and has gotten a few cycles in its battery. But being an owner of one, I am pretty concerned about it.

If they indeed have another flaw, I may have to consider other options. A shame, because I really like this phone, but I can't use a phone that has a history of safety issues as my daily driver.

I'm half-hoping that this may be an isolated case, but we'll have to wait and see.

Oh, and Samsung's official PR statement did nothing to alleviate my concerns.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh boy.

Here we go again.

Mine is now 1 week old and has gotten a few cycles in its battery. But being an owner of one, I am pretty concerned about it.

If they indeed have another flaw, I may have to consider other options. A shame, because I really like this phone, but I can't use a phone that has a history of safety issues as my daily driver.

I'm half-hoping that this may be an isolated case, but we'll have to wait and see.

Oh, you know Samsung has the pucker factor of plus 10 about now. I definitely don't have a warm and fuzzy.

jbcatl

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Unless the phone's owner is either clueless or dishonest, Samsung is screwed. He didn't seem clueless but I suppose he could have somehow faked it, but I doubt it. The penalties if proven would be extremely harsh.

Perception is reality and airlines are not going to allow Note 7's to fly domestically which really makes it no longer an option. I hope this is settled once and for all soon. I guess I'll go back to the S7 Edge since it keeps the BOGO deal with AT&T, but really not happy. First and last Samsung if this device gets killed off.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
The way to avoid this is to simply shut off service to all IMEIs that were built before the replacements were made. This way it'll ensure that 99% of the defective phones are out of circulation and force the laggers to get replacements unless they want a $900 wifi-device or brick. Then everything would be reset to "zero" and future incidents can be properly referenced to the replacements.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Unless the phone's owner is either clueless or dishonest, Samsung is screwed. He didn't seem clueless but I suppose he could have somehow faked it, but I doubt it. The penalties if proven would be extremely harsh.

Perception is reality and airlines are not going to allow Note 7's to fly domestically which really makes it no longer an option. I hope this is settled once and for all soon. I guess I'll go back to the S7 Edge since it keeps the BOGO deal with AT&T, but really not happy. First and last Samsung if this device gets killed off.

I wouldnt say last Samsung for me but im just going to take my replacement Note 7 back. Ive had enough with this. Wish i wouldn't have returned my iPhone 7 plus yeaterday.

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
If it turns out to be a new N7 and wasn't otherwise damaged, then yeah, Samsung needs to offer a full refund for all Note 7's, and I'm even at the point that I'll switch to something else. I like the phone a lot, but this is ridiculous.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh boy.

Here we go again.

This is now political (for lack of better words), since the CPSC lead that blessed the recall campaign is now on the hook to some degree as well. If this is legit, the response will likely be swift and brutal. Yes, at least two iPhones have caught "fire" on planes and ditto other less than QC stringent devices, but this is related to the Note 7 that Samsung complied with via the CPSC. Any sign of lack of being forthright with data would likely spell doom.

All depends if the event was too legit to quit. Samsung was too slow with Jeep Guy and a few other high profile faux Note 7 events and the media even now are bringing those events (falsely) up. Samsung's efforts to this point to some degree have facilitated the perception. They should have placed all resources to validate and PR to work with the media, but Samsung seemed to knee jerk along with the media.

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
That conflicts with the finding they published stating it was a battery manufacturing issue. Too much pressure during the process to seal the layers together. The result was insulation issues that could create a short with the anode and cathode layers. That was published during the CPSC review.

See I read something like that and have to imagine CPSC chemists would definitely have the ability to test the new Note's batteries for similar failures. Google "exploding [insert OEM name]" and you will find iPhones and LG's and such all have "exploded" at one time or another. This is actually a reflection on the volatility of lithium ion batteries.

I really, really , really, really don't want to have to return my Note 7. There is just no other phone available right now that I want and I can't go weeks without a phone.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
See I read something like that and have to imagine CPSC chemists would definitely have the ability to test the new Note's batteries for similar failures. Google "exploding [insert OEM name]" and you will find iPhones and LG's and such all have "exploded" at one time or another. This is actually a reflection on the volatility of lithium ion batteries.

I really, really , really, really don't want to have to return my Note 7. There is just no other phone available right now that I want and I can't go weeks without a phone.
Now that's going to be quite an issue.

I, too, really like my Note 7, but seeing reports like these make me feel concerned. And people denying these just makes me feel even more so.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I love this phone a ton but at this point, I guess I'll keep it until the note8 (possibly another name?) Is released and then pay off the rest of my balance on my note7. I predict Samsung will go all out on the 8 series.

Or the S8 Edge too or whatever they call the larger screen S8 I think will be a knockout phone too.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Its time to stop defending the Note 7 guys. Seriously, its a $900 phone. Any battery can catch fire but that the rate the phone is catching fire isnt the same as other phones. I dont think this guy is lying about this. Unfortunately what was the best phone of 2016, ended up being a disaster.

This was the year for Samsung to take some iPhone users away with the Note. Next year, no matter how good the Note 8 is, the iPhone will get a redeisgn and people will be all over it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Apparently the reason they recalled all pre 9/15 devices was to not take a chance. If Samsung failed to isolate and immediately scrap batteries with Samsung QC management in place to witness disposition- that would be pi$$ poor.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Its time to stop defending the Note 7 guys. Seriously, its a $900 phone. Any battery can catch fire but that the rate the phone is catching fire isnt the same as other phones. I dont think this guy is lying about this. Unfortunately what was the best phone of 2016, ended up being a disaster.

This was the year for Samsung to take some iPhone users away with the Note. Next year, no matter how good the Note 8 is, the iPhone will get a redeisgn and people will be all over it.

I think people are not defending, but are at the incredulity stage ;)

If Note 8 would keep all the current good stuff, add a replaceable battery, stereo speakers, 4K mode for VR, water resistance- watch folks forgive :)

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Tomorrow is my 14th day. I wont bother returning it because if they recall it wont mattsr.
Im on a bogo too and would have to get another Samsung. Really liked my loaner s7 Active but Im use to the edge now and want something VR compatible.

I hope this all just BS though.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The kicker is that Tim Baxter himself publicly and clearly stated that the Note7 batteries in the new ones are "safe".

If they find out that the new ones have a flaw, they're gonna be in even hotter water than last time.

The rep of the N7 would be finished at that point.

It's such a shame that one of the best phones of 2016 ended up being a PR nightmare.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Tomorrow is my 14th day. I wont bother returning it because if they recall it wont mattsr.
Im on a bogo too and would have to get another Samsung. Really liked my loaner s7 Active but Im use to the edge now and want something VR compatible.
I hope this all just BS though.

I guess I would get the V20, since at least the battery is easier to manage in the event of a battery issue ;)

That said, battery life apparently sucks compared to the Note 7 (40% less overall), inferior display, runs warmer, and weak low light camera quality. Meh. Plus it is still three-ish weeks away and will have to set my device up again..

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The kicker is that Tim Baxter himself publicly and clearly stated that the Note7 batteries in the new ones are "safe".

If they find out that the new ones have a flaw, they're gonna be in even hotter water than last time.

The rep of the N7 would be finished at that point.

It's such a shame that one of the best phones of 2016 ended up being a PR nightmare.

If this pans out as legit:

Samsung should completely slash and burn their battery supply chain (especially engineering, QC and production leadership), start from scratch (as much as possible) and bring in third party auditors to supervise QC.

Plus anyone that forced accelerated deadlines and blessed working production teams with minimal rest. Fire them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel