Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That's nice to hear ...if a recall was placed again I would prefer one by carrier especially if they realize it was the AT&T devices with the defect......

I would doubt a second recall and replace would be feasible at this point. The recall part would likely be the only thing for the next one (if there is). Note 7 would effectively be dead- depending on findings of course.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what they will find in this case if true or not, a post recall phone or not, or a bad circuit design or not... but I welcome any scrutiny and maximum exposure of any issues like this that comes down the pike... so that if it is a found issue or Samsung if pressured to keep checking into each of these instances and does find a flaw then i hope it leads them to make adjustments, whether they acknowledge it publicy or not and I get a phone with one less glitch then it had the day before by the time i am ready to buy :)

Man I was hoping the first recall they got this phone sorted out and said I'd wait thirty days... AT&T still hasnt officially started selling so I can't pull the trigger yet but guess i'll stick to my 30 days when they finally do and hope all issues really are sorted out before I plop my $$$ down.

S7 and Edges have not had any pattern of battery/phone explosion issues... it does make me wonder if a hardware design flaw... really thinking this being their first usb-c device... something wrong there.

What really concerns me about this whole affair is that from what I have read, Samsung SDI has said from the beginning that their batteries were not the problem and that the real issue was a bad circuit design or flaw with the phone. This incident adds fuel to the fire, pun intended.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
how do I protect myself or others, in the event that my replacement Note 7 catches fire or explodes? I know the chances are extremely law, but it's always good to know how to handle these things, right? My questions are serious, so please don't respond with meaningless jokes. Thanks. :)

(1)
if no fire extinguisher is nearby, is it a good idea to pour plain water over it to put out the fire? if not, what should I use? or just let it burn itself out?

(2)
should I make an official police or fire report to document the incident?

(3)
do I report it to Samsung?

(4)
am I potentially liable for any damages to the aircraft, hotel room or whatever?

1. Baking powder. Call 9-1-1
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
So if you are past the 14 days on your 2nd phone...what are you options? I am sure they won't take it back...so only recourse is to sell on Ebay, which I am sure is not a great option since we will take a loss for sure.

If this is recalled for safety reasons, Samsung will eat it again. This time though probably no replacements, but just a refund. For folks that bought second hand though- not so sure on refund.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Plus anyone that forced accelerated deadlines..

What do you mean? The Note 7 came out 1 year after the Note 5. This is the same as just about every single other new phone release from every OEM. How is this 1 year timeline somehow an "accelerated timeline"?

Were you talking about the timeline during the recall perhaps?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
IMO, Second recall would most likely end it for the Note 7 run.

If this is recalled for safety reasons, Samsung will eat it again. This time though probably no replacements, but just a refund. For folks that bought second hand though- not so sure on refund.

iiLLWiiLL

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site
In all seriousness, are people sticking with the Note 7? I've been away from android for a long time now so I'm a little worried about all this negative press the phone has gotten.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean? The Note 7 came out 1 year after the Note 5. This is the same as just about every single other new phone release from every OEM. How is this 1 year timeline somehow an "accelerated timeline"?

Yes, it's been already in the news that Samsung rushed the phone out before the iPhone to try and steal apples thunder.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I don't get that either. There is no proof beyond speculation that these phones were rushed. A design flaw can happen regardless of a timeline.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Referring to the Forbes and several other articles when the investigation started. Apparently the Note 7 was behind schedule and steps were taken to "correct" the bottleneck (battery production).

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That's true but looking at their history of launch dates it could vary from year to year by a month... so even though they released 12 months later... it could be they were really on track for 13 or late 13 month release... but they saw an opportunity (can you really blame them) and by the reports of workers being pushed, they pushed suppliers and maybe their own people too hard to shave 30 days. They were glowing in their own magnificence from the S7 and Edge sales they wanted to go for it on the Note... and it's blown up in their face.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
These phone will be banned by the FFA and on cruise ships. Guy seems legit. I flew Sunday and Monday this week. Southwest. On 3 of the 4 flights they mentioned the "Samsung 7"or the "Samsung Notebook" phone is to be turned off and not charged on the plane. The southwest website said that didn't apply to the ones with a green battery icon. I screenshot that in case they questioned me. If this is truly a replacement, "safe" unit that burned, the ban will be on I'm sure. Sucks that it's my favorite phone ever.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
When no evidence to back it up.

If this were not correct, I am pretty sure Samsung would be suing the ever living heck out of some media entities right now for defamation.

It would also make the entire situation all the more inexcusable, since less systemic reasons for the failure.

oldskoolstyle70

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Let's face it. If there is even a hint at Samsung products being defective or "exploding" the media is going to rush to print. I will admit there is an issue but I don't feel it's that big of an issue. Just my opinion.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
IMO, Second recall would most likely end it for the Note 7 run.
Why
You think this will break Samsung.
Wrong
They are a 300 billion dollar company.
It will make them do some changes.

I think they need to make the phone housing stronger. The whole problem is The lithium battery, and shorts from the mother board getting broke.

supreme8124

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
My 2 cents. I noticed in the pictures of the original note fires that most of the burned area was on the left side of screen. This latest phone picture (airplane) looks like it's more in the middle of screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.