Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
You need to educate yourself about believing what you read on the Internet. Samsung in no way confirmed this lol

Right, I am sure they would confirm that they intentionally rushed out a product that compromised safety and could lead to property and personal damage.

The mental gymnastics that people go through around a phone manufacturer....

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
So I got my replacement on the 21st. My two week window from Verizon is up today. Fifteen days is twenty minutes away. If I took it back in mentioning the newest fire, are they going to take it back or am I now stuck with this phone? I'm not even worried about blowing up honestly. But the device is tarnished beyond repair. And I do fly a lot and not having my phone on a plane is out of the question. Since the recall hasn't solved whatever the fire issue is, I don't want stuck with a phone that has no resale value. If I sold it now, I'd probably lose a few hundred. I bought the phone outright.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Right, I am sure they would confirm that they intentionally rushed out a product that compromised safety and could lead to property and personal damage.

The mental gymnastics that people go through around a phone manufacturer....

Of course they wouldn't. That's why the assertion that they themselves admitted rushing their product is insane beyond words.

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
So I got my replacement on the 21st. My two week window from Verizon is up today. Fifteen days is twenty minutes away. If I took it back in mentioning the newest fire, are they going to take it back or am I now stuck with this phone? I'm not even worried about blowing up honestly. But the device is tarnished beyond repair. And I do fly a lot and not having my phone on a plane is out of the question. Since the recall hasn't solved whatever the fire issue is, I don't want stuck with a phone that has no resale value. If I sold it now, I'd probably lose a few hundred. I bought the phone outright.

I'm in the same boat, as will many other people will be or already are. But it's too early to tell what our carriers will do, as they will wait for word from Samsung and Samsung is awaiting word from our CPSC. We don't know the full details yet and likely won't for the next few days or week (or more).

If you're able to find a store (your carrier store) and a General Manager who will process an exchange for you, that could be an option.

I think the best thing to do is sit tight and wait for a few days as more info comes out. If more of these reports begin to surface we'll likely go through another recall, but until we get more info, the majority of us N7 owners will operate as usual.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Has it occurred to anyone that maybe this was just a one off? Everything is being scrutinized right now with the phones, but there doesn't seem to be many reports of these issues since the recall. Also, why do people keep saying it's banned on flights. They haven't done that (yet?) but really it's a bit of a misinformation to keep saying when it actually hasn't happened. I travel a lot too so when I read that, I keep thinking something was announced about it being banned on flights.

Whatever happens, this doesn't scare me off Samsung by any means and I will continue to buy their products. I hope it is sorted out quickly.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Has it occurred to anyone that maybe this was just a one off? Everything is being scrutinized right now with the phones, but there doesn't seem to be many reports of these issues since the recall. Also, why do people keep saying it's banned on flights. They haven't done that (yet?) but really it's a bit of a misinformation to keep saying when it actually hasn't happened. I travel a lot too so when I read that, I keep thinking something was announced about it being banned on flights.

Whatever happens, this doesn't scare me off Samsung by any means and I will continue to buy their products. I hope it is sorted out quickly.

THANK YOU! I wish everyone would just relax until the CPSC and Samsung finish their investigation of this incident and make an official statement. I was just getting comfortable with my replacement, dammit!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
THANK YOU! I wish everyone would just relax until the CPSC and Samsung finish their investigation of this incident and make an official statement. I was just getting comfortable with my replacement, dammit!
Yeah, I'm waiting for more info, but right now, I'm kinda concerned.

Still makes me upset that some people are jumping to conclusions, though.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It's a shame.....but Samsung has a bullseye painted on them now....and the Note 7 is branded regardless.......the truth will come out in time, but I'm not too sure that I would put much stock in anything Samsung says at the moment either......they are a huge company......and, truth be told, the ONLY thing they are concerned about is the financial hit they will take, both directly through lawsuits, and their tarnished reputation.....

Sent from mTalk

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I'm waiting for more info, but right now, I'm kinda concerned.

Still makes me upset that some people are jumping to conclusions, though.

my friend was told to turn off his "Note 7" on a United flight from BOS to SFO. Apparently both flight attendants thought his iPhone 7 Plus was a "Note 7" from Samsung. He was not amused when he was told the same thin on the flight from LAX back to BOS.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
my friend was told to turn off his "Note 7" on a United flight from BOS to SFO. Apparently both flight attendants thought his iPhone 7 Plus was a "Note 7" from Samsung. He was not amused when he was told the same thin on the flight from LAX back to BOS.
Wouldn't the word "iPhone" at the back tick them off?

Guess that also proves my point that the average Joe can't discern a Note 7 from another phone.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Will be interesting to hear what Samsung has to say once they get their hands on it and look into what happened. I'd be surprised if it was another large scale battery issue only because the CPSC stated that the replacement Note 7's were fine. I would think they would do thorough testing before marking it as safe and allowing Samsung to proceed with exchanges. May just be a rare incident but it doesn't just affect Samsung, google "iPhone catches on fire". An iPhone 6 caught on fire during a flight back in March but I don't recall hearing anything about it.

Apparently you did hear about it.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is lucky Apple isn't running ads all over the place about the Samsungs burning up. That would really damage Samsung. Probably irreperably. Samsung couldn't create a commercial without the centerpiece being ridiculing Apple. Samsung is lucky that Apple has always taken the high road. Because they could really destroy Samsung right now. Samsung was humiliated enough when they were ordered to write a check for millions after Apple sued them for copying the iPhone. Apple could have buried Samsung after that via ads. But they chose not to. Same holds true today. Samsung is fortunate that Apple obviously has never been interested in Samsung the way Samsung has always been obsessed with Apple. That's Samsung's saving grace.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Interesting thoughts regarding this issue. If in fact the circuit design or hardware is the issue then we are all screwed ... could it be that his phone was from the old batch which accidentally was placed in a replacement phone box ? I doubt.. I am starting to feel the issue was never resolved because China had explosions too on new ones. Sucks. Weird thing is used mine on a 6.5 hours flight on Tuesday:/

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Interesting thoughts regarding this issue. If in fact the circuit design or hardware is the issue then we are all screwed ... could it be that his phone was from the old batch which accidentally was placed in a replacement phone box ? I doubt.. I am starting to feel the issue was never resolved because China had explosions too on new ones. Sucks. Weird thing is used mine on a 6.5 hours flight on Tuesday:/

Could static electricity play a role in this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan