Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That's what I'm expecting with enough time really... Before the recall, company I work for we deploy phones to execs have a business account and Note 7 were going for $600 while our company could buy iPhone 6s' for the old contract rates of $199 or $299 for Plus that's been that way for years!! I'm willing to still pull the trigger on the phone at that rate... but I'm waiting a little longer. I think they will have this phone sorted out but I don't think they can command the same price over time. Business account... and you have to worry about if you can take it on a plane on business?? Waiting to see if carriers will be discounting them on the business side. $400 would be more inline with corp pricing for a 7 Plus I think.

In the pic I have attached for my employee plan, the Note 7 used to be listed for $529 just a few weeks ago...now its listed for a cool $0.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Of course they wouldn't. That's why the assertion that they themselves admitted rushing their product is insane beyond words.

Again, Samsung didn't release a statement arguing against that. So we all know it's true. Glad you have an opinion, but I believe what employees have to say over what you think.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
So what everyone is saying is Samsung screwed up by doing the recall. They should have just handled each case individually, then it wouldn't be national news.
Thats what apple does with iphones (handle each case individually)...iphone 7 has so many issues yellow screens, hissing creaking noises, springboard crashes, camera crashes, overheating, haptic touch freezing, and no one in the general public is aware of these incidents....

At this point, no one knows if that explosive phone was sabotaged by a rival company so that the rival company can gain the continued perks of a device that has a history of being explosive....unless more phones start exploding I don't think this incident should hold true value yet....

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If it really was a battery issue that covered that many batteries... then they would have had no choice but do the recall. Otherwise you just have time bombs out there that's just gonna kill your brand anyways. If they were just not holding charge and dying... that's one thing. Exploding to the point of possibly causing personal or property damage... tough call to make.

So what everyone is saying is Samsung screwed up by doing the recall. They should have just handled each case individually, then it wouldn't be national news.

treedabl

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Samsung is lucky Apple isn't running ads all over the place about the Samsungs burning up. That would really damage Samsung. Probably irreperably. Samsung couldn't create a commercial without the centerpiece being ridiculing Apple. Samsung is lucky that Apple has always taken the high road. Because they could really destroy Samsung right now. Samsung was humiliated enough when they were ordered to write a check for millions after Apple sued them for copying the iPhone. Apple could have buried Samsung after that via ads. But they chose not to. Same holds true today. Samsung is fortunate that Apple obviously has never been interested in Samsung the way Samsung has always been obsessed with Apple. That's Samsung's saving grace.

Wow! That is so cool of Apple to hold back and allow Samsung to survive. How incredibly gracious of Apple to not publicly shame the inferior Samsung in their time of need.

Lord knows all it would take is one swift swing of their mightly sword to wipe Samsung off the face of the planet!

Guess I'll return the favor and go out, credit card in hand, and purchase a shiny new iPhone 7 today! Thank God their phones never explode.

Thanks for the info. Without it we would have been so lost.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Thats what apple does with iphones (handle each case individually)...iphone 7 has so many issues yellow screens, hissing creaking noises, springboard crashes, camera crashes, overheating, haptic touch freezing, and no one in the general public is aware of these incidents....

At this point, no one knows if that explosive phone was sabotaged by a rival company so that the rival company can gain the continued perks of a device that has a history of being explosive....unless more phones start exploding I don't think this incident should hold true value yet....
I know. So people are punishing Samsung for doing a recall, the right thing. Now if I start seeing report after report the new note 7 burning up then it's an issue.

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site

They were attempting to do that with the voluntary recall. Until the U.S. CPSC stepped in as Samsung was handling the situation in the right sort of way (voluntary recall at that time), but they couldn't execute their plan smoothly nor fast enough primarily due to not having the supply. They also did not do well as with communicating clearly with carriers.

Side note: As someone mentioned above about the box, I wonder how many folks got a "V2" sticker. My replacement box does not have that sticker, either. The black box, yes, and also made in Korea. Weren't there some reports of replacements overheating in Korea? Or was that questionable?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Who knows... IF... there is an issue what's causing it... It could be something that degrades the battery over time... maybe the phone is not protecting the battery from overcharging and it's degrading the battery until... BOOM! Or in this airplane instance, was he wirelessly charging? Could be charging issues that way and not many people charge wirelessly? But issues don't have to just appear the first few days, or weeks for stuff to happen. Shorts can develop over time, over many charge cycles, heat cycles, etc.

I saw that. The "reports" grew to over 100 after the first two weeks. My point was that, if there were another widespread issue, there would be more than just this one reported fire after two weeks.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
From what I've read, Motorola or LG hasn't taken the high ground completely and not use this to their advantage... or try with an ad jab or direct sales reps to mention it to buyers.

Wow! That is so cool of Apple to hold back and allow Samsung to survive. How incredibly gracious of Apple to not publicly shame the inferior Samsung in their time of need.

Lord knows all it would take is one swift swing of their mightly sword to wipe Samsung off the face of the planet!

Guess I'll return the favor and go out, credit card in hand, and purchase a shiny new iPhone 7 today! Thank God their phones never explode.

Thanks for the info. Without it we would have been so lost.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it's been already in the news that Samsung rushed the phone out before the iPhone to try and steal apples thunder.

Well, if it's in the news, then ... :)

It's on a yearly cycle. It came out after 1 year. The same could be said of any other phone launch.. The point is that just because there was clearly some QA miss here, it is not AUTOMATICALLY attributable to rushing. It could be, or it could not be. We do not know (nor does Forbes at this point). If Samsung says that is what happened, then we will know ..

treedabl

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Who knows... IF... there is an issue what's causing it... It could be something that degrades the battery over time... maybe the phone is not protecting the battery from overcharging and it's degrading the battery until... BOOM! Or in this airplane instance, was he wirelessly charging? Could be charging issues that way and not many people charge wirelessly? But issues don't have to just appear the first few days, or weeks for stuff to happen. Shorts can develop over time, over many charge cycles, heat cycles, etc.
Huh? 😞

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
My main concern is how are airlines going to react to this. If I can't use my phone on a plane then it is a no go for buying this phone. I have been a huge fan of Samsung and even wrote this on my Note 4. I'll wait to see how this plays out. If airlines ban the Note 7 I may need to look at the Pixel but I will miss the S pen.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
No, people are punishing Samsung for selling an exploding phone that led to the recall. Bad luck if just batteries but it's their mess. So Samsung has to live with the egg on their face.

I know. So people are punishing Samsung for doing a recall, the right thing. Now if I start seeing report after report the new note 7 burning up then it's an issue.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
My main concern is how are airlines going to react to this. If I can't use my phone on a plane then it is a no go for buying this phone. I have been a huge fan of Samsung and even wrote this on my Note 4. I'll wait to see how this plays out. If airlines ban the Note 7 I may need to look at the Pixel but I will miss the S pen.

Depending on the eventual outcome / confirmation that it was a replacement and happened as described, the airlines and the FAA will react very very strongly to this, I would think. This is a concern for me as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox