Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeyaruk JJ

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I recently bought an s7 edge recently and was going to return it after I heard raving reviews about the replaced note 7. Now this plane incident happened. Any advice for me I have 8 more days to return the s7 edge. I really want the note 7 sounds like an awesome phone should I just take my chances and buy the note 7 if it explodes oh well I have warranty? Or should I keep the s7 edge?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought an s7 edge recently and was going to return it after I heard raving reviews about the replaced note 7. Now this plane incident happened. Any advice for me I have 8 more days to return the s7 edge. I really want the note 7 sounds like an awesome phone should I just take my chances and buy the note 7 if it explodes oh well I have warranty? Or should I keep the s7 edge?

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Catches On Fire in the Philippines | Androidheadlines.com

Just sayin'

this happens, people.... it is just that there was a manufacturing defect that caused it to happen several orders of magnitude more often...

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
...I was discussing with a friend about "throw away" phones like the iPhone SE and the Moto Z Play. One is 449 and one is 408 and on a DPP I can pay it off by the time the holidays roll around and the carrier deals come out again.

Have you ever looked into the ZTE Axon 7 - Jason Perlow at ZDNet had a great write up about the quality and it is a $399 buy?

Personally, I think you'd be making a mistake....

LeoRex - your thoughts are logical and well taken, but they fail to factor in one key ingredient - timelines for returns.

None of the examples that you and others cite of LiPo battery fries involves multiple events in the same model; they are random and can easily be ascribed to the general risk of these batteries. This is now a case of multiple incidents with the same model. If you are on a time clock to return the Note 7, and you don't act, you could be stuck long term with an extremely depreciating asset. Worse yet, what if the FAA or even individual airlines choose to restrict, or even worse ban, the Note 7...

If you return it timely, and Samsung, the airlines, and the FEDS truly gives us the "all clear" signal, you could buy it again. But if you miss your return window, you may have an $850-900 device for eternity.

Last edited:

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Note 7 last week on Thursday. Should I take it back? I love the phone but if AT&T isn't going to be nice about returning it when the recall happens and if I am past 14 days, not sure I want to chane that. I took back an iPhone 7 plus because of issues with it.

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I saw this on the local Texas news last night. It's pretty bad they even said that the IMEI number "provided by the pictures" showed a new replacement unit on Samsung's website. Afterwards they announced that all galaxy note 7's had to be powered off. Some of the airline's were just saying s7's or galaxy phones. They were physically checking the phones before boarding too as a result of that one flight.

More dejavu waiting on Samsung and the CPSC to announce something (hopefully good).

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
if airlines ban this phone, then what? lol
i love this phone, but what else comes close? no apples for me.

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
if airlines ban this phone, then what? lol
i love this phone, but what else comes close? no apples for me.

Aside from the stylus the Axon 7 comes semi close. Has the built in dac at least and super AMOLED. Sound is amazing it's getting nougat and daydream. My friend has it and he loves it. They fixed the reception issue too. Technically the Huawei 8 looks nice too just haven't used it.

The pixel phones don't look bad and have daydream. LifeProof is making a waterproof case too. Both have quick charge (ZTE has QC 3.0) but neither have wireless charging. I've gotten so used to my fast wireless charger on N7 I love it.

My return window is out the window so I'm in it for the long haul exploding or not. And yeah I'm going on a cruise in January so I hope this is an isolated case and debunked.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The question is are the odds of Note 7 catching fire considerably higher than the odds of other phones catching fire. At this point I would say yes. And in manufacturing that points to a issue with some part of the device. It may not even be the battery. It could be something in the way they have the battery installed, it could be the weather sealing causes a build up of gases, ...

Purely opinion. We don't know how many phones have caught fire and not been reported to news agencies. Once this issue was reported, all eyes were on the Note7. I wish we knew exactly how many phones of each model have actually caught fire.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I've been watching too much of "Damages" on NetFlix, but... if Apple wanted to do damage to their main competitor, they could put a shill on a plane and have him ignite a Note 7 while it was still on the ground. Can you imagine what that would do for their competitive position.

Just saying.

And if Samsung or somebody found out about it, Think of the lawsuit.
You think Apple would really do something like that.
Git real.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think you'd be making a mistake. Let's put the pre-recall issues aside and look at things in a vacuum for the time being and look at a hypothetical.... Had that recall never had happened... and we were sitting here talking about a single, well publicized incident where a Note 7 started smoking on a flight, would you be concerned? I certainly wouldn't. LiPo powered devices fail on a pretty regular basis... like that iPhone 6S+ that went critical in a classroom a couple of days ago.

As I mentioned earlier, unless we see a whole barrage of stories of Note 7 battery failures come rolling in, like we did in August... and that happened quickly.... I am not going to overreact. Go back and look at the threads during the recall, I -along with other mods- were in front making sure that people realized the gravity of the situation and that they should turn off their phones and tuck them away until the replacements come. As of this moment, we are still looking at a single incident...

And there will be another. Another Note 7 will fail... and a S7, and a G5 or Nexus 6P... as long as phones use this battery technology, that technology will betray us from time to time. But if this single incident stays a single incident... I wouldn't abandon the thing.
My thoughts exactly. Who knows how many more phones are blowing up and the media isn't reporting.
If your new water heater starts leaking, are you calling the local news station? It happens to a lot of water heaters of this model lately. However, if the model you're using had a recall, all eyes would be on the new ones and eventually one or more will fail. No product is 100% free of defects. That's reality.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

You want a Guarantee.
Is that what you are asking for.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Wow that's hard core. I was very please with how T-Mobile handled my replacement. I had the full 14 day return window, and when I took them up on it a week later and returned the replacement, I wasn't even charged a restocking fee for it. Say what you will about their coverage, but they have always put customers #1 in my experiences with them.

I returned my Note 7 for an S7 edge on Sept 14th and only have been refunded for the tax! Still waiting for the rest of it. I guess I'll be calling Tmobile again monday if I don't get it. Getting tired of this.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever looked into the ZTE Axon 7 - Jason Perlow at ZDNet had a great write up about the quality and it is a $399 buy?

LeoRex - your thoughts are logical and well taken, but they fail to factor in one key ingredient - timelines for returns.

None of the examples that you and others cite of LiPo battery fries involves multiple events in the same model; they are random and can easily be ascribed to the general risk of these batteries. This is now a case of multiple incidents with the same model. If you are on a time clock to return the Note 7, and you don't act, you could be stuck long term with an extremely depreciating asset. Worse yet, what if the FAA or even individual airlines choose to restrict, or even worse ban, the Note 7...

If you return it timely, and Samsung, the airlines, and the FEDS truly gives us the "all clear" signal, you could buy it again. But if you miss your return window, you may have an $850-900 device for eternity.

I think multiple events in the same model you are referring to is the Note7 in general. I think he was making the point that only one incident involving the replacement Note7 has been reported so far. In my eyes it resets the counter. If more incidents are reported, that leans more towards bad design.
If they do a full second recall, I don't think there should be much trouble getting a refund from the carrier, regardless of how long you've had it. Maybe I am just being naive.

Status
Not open for further replies.