Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiko7523

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I just had a 25-minute conversation with AT&T. At this point in time, they aren't able/willing to do anything... she did say if I went to the store where I got it (an AT&T store) they might be able to do something for me, BUT, since the only other phone I would accept at this point is the iPhone 7 Plus, and she told me that unless a store happens to have one in stock (unlikely), I'm looking at 30+ days to get one. So that's out. I'll just keep mine Note 7 and see how this all plays out.

you dont have a back up phone for 30 days?i think i am day 10 of my return policy i am wondering if my VZW S5 will work on AT&T until i get the 7plus in the mail which i am thinking of doing.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
A verizon S5 WILL NOT WORK ON A AT&T network.

Actually most current VZN phones support the correct wireless bands and are GSM unlocked by default (this allows world travel where TDMA/CDMA networks are not used) I have used VZN Samsung S3/S4 phones on AT&T & TMO networks. (the one thing is that not all of the GSM bands will be present so you may not be able to get full 4G service)

Cheers,
BR

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Until more reports pop up like this that are verified, no one has a reason to worry.

Unless you're a frequent flier... Even before this incident airlines are already requiring Note 7's to be powered off during flight, which is already an issue for many people, and would be for me if I had a Note 7 as I keep my music on my phone. If the airlines do an all out ban....?

Tiko7523

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Actually most current VZN phones support the correct wireless bands and are GSM unlocked by default (this allows world travel where TDMA/CDMA networks are not used) I have used VZN Samsung S3/S4 phones on AT&T & TMO networks. (the one thing is that not all of the GSM bands will be present so you may not be able to get full 4G service)

Cheers,
BR

yeah i keep getting mixed results on this.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Unless you're a frequent flier... Even before this incident airlines are already requiring Note 7's to be powered off during flight, which is already an issue for many people, and would be for me if I had a Note 7 as I keep my music on my phone. If the airlines do an all out ban....?

Someone here mentioned Southwest approved the new N7s anyways.

mikechaudron

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site

Exactly! I'm at an airport now and before I board I'll power the Note 7 down and use my work provided iPhone that barely has a few of my playlists on it due to the required work apps.

I called Samsung Customer service today and all the guy would do is read me a statement from Samsung. I know this is a nightmare for them, but they could be communicating better.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Ever since this news has surfaced maybe it's just my mind but I can't help but feel that mt phone is getting warmer than before :/

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Ever since this news has surfaced maybe it's just my mind but I can't help but feel that mt phone is getting warmer than before :/

There has been only one incident (at least reported in the US) and it is being thoroughly investigated by the both CPSC and Samsung. We'll know more soon I'm sure, but at this point their is no sense getting ones panties in a bunch.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
There has been only one incident (at least reported in the US) and it is being thoroughly investigated by the both CPSC and Samsung. We'll know more soon I'm sure, but at this point their is no sense getting ones panties in a bunch.

Samsung claims that they can't say anything until the phone is turned over to them for investigation.

Something just feels so wrong about their statement... shouldn't the phone be thoroughly investigated by an independent outsider, not the manufacturer who made the device?

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I called Samsung Customer service today and all the guy would do is read me a statement from Samsung. I know this is a nightmare for them, but they could be communicating better.

What did you call Samsung Customer service about? If it was about Airlines requiring passengers to power down their Note 7's even if it is a replaced unit with the green battery icon that is up to the airline. If it's about the incident that occurred yesterday it's too soon for them to know anything, especially a support rep. I'd be surprised if they have even gotten the phone yet to start investigating. Hopefully they will be able to report what led to the phone catching on fire soon to ease people's mind.

One thing that bugs me for some reason is the reports keep saying it "exploded", it did not explode. If it did it would have sent shrapnel in all directions, the battery ruptured. But I guess "exploding" grabs more headlines.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Samsung claims that they can't say anything until the phone is turned over to them for investigation.

Something just feels so wrong about their statement... shouldn't the phone be thoroughly investigated by an independent outsider, not the manufacturer who made the device?

I imagine the CPSC is gong to be involved as well since they gave the go ahead on the replacement units.

vasic

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
It is quite possible that the number of incidents of Samsung 7 phones catching fire / smoking / exploding is noticeably higher than any other models. It may even be ten times as high. That number would still be ridiculously small, compared to the number of devices sold (which work perfectly fine and will never catch fire / explode).

The point is, people with normal reasoning can figure out that, while these incidents make the news, they are totally inconsequential and the likelihood of any tragic consequence as a result of a Samsung phone exploding is much smaller than likelihood of getting poisoned (and dying) by a Big Mac. Yet, we'll never see a recall of Big Mac.

None of that matters in this case, though. The sequence of events related to these Samsung phones, and the general perception of the population (not just in the US, but elsewhere in the world) is that they are taking a chance with their life with these devices. And even if majority of people are capable of doing the math and knowing that they have no reason for concern, this will ultimately end very badly for Samsung. There are increasingly louder calls to ban these devices from public transportation, and ordinary users simply won't be able to know whether they will be allowed on a plane, train or bus if they have a Samsung phone. Not to mention potential altercations in public, when an ignorant passenger says "That's a Samsung phone, you have to turn it off", and the owner replies, "But this is Galaxy 6, it's OK", and the dumb fellow replies "No, no, that's a Samsung, they explode, you have to turn it off NOW!!"... Under right circumstances, a righteous mob may well quickly form to kick the innocent Samsung owner out of the bus, or subway.

There is simply no effective way for Samsung to get this fixed right now. Only time will fix it, since, as well all know, general populace has a very short attention span and quickly forgets.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Their statement doesn't seem strange to me. It's what I'd expect. The authorities (presumably CPSC, FAA, fire department) are going to finish their investigation before turning it over Samsung. That is what you'd expect. Samsung cannot make any informed statements until they can get a look at the device.

dseiden

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
After reading the latest Note 7 issue I decided that it was not worth the hassle or risk any more. I am traveling a bit in the next few months and between that and the possibility of battery problems I decided I would return the phone till more is known. I was just at the 14 day return period on my "fixed" note 7 so I called TMobile last night and they put a note in my account and told me to goto the store to make the return.

Headed to the store today and the manager was really helpful. While the Tmobile system was overloaded and would not let him make the return he said it was a know issue in their system because of all the returns in the last month. He noted to me that by the 21st there was a POS system update that was going to be fixing the issue and he put another note in my account and put a reminder in his phone to take care of this once they system was fixed. He was the store manager and gave me his card and a note saying that I would be able to return the device no questions asked.

So if you are a Tmobile Note 7 customer you may have some problems returning your device in the system but according to this store manager it is a know issue and is being fixed. I guess I will see what happens on the 21st. At least my account has two notes now saying that I can return the device.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Wow... This thread blew up since yesterday...

If there were other reports I'd be more concerned... As it stands now - indications are this may be a single (unfortunate) incident.

Breuklen

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
So far it's just one fire here in the States. There is a claim of a fire in China caused by the battery, with Samsung saying two other cases were caused by "external factors" (whatever the hell that means). It's too soon to panic under normal circumstances. But this isn't under normal circumstances. This is after a large scale, well publicized worldwide recall.

If there are other fires/explosions in a relatively short period of time, forget a simple recall of the "safe" battery Note 7. It should be recalled with all phones destroyed. I wouldn't worry as the CSPC officially recalling this version would allow customers to recoup all charges. It'll just be a gigantic headache.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Can we please quit using the word "explodes" Nothing is exploding.
Can we just pretend lithium batteries venting with flame are harmless inevitable events that are always fake or due to user error?

Neither Apple nor semantics are the issue.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
They do the same process as carriers do with stolen phones. Send GSMA a list of all defective IMEIs and wham, they're locked with no service. This will also kill the second-hand market so the fools who would sell/buy defective Note 7s on ebay would be out of luck as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vszvvone88