Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Their statement doesn't seem strange to me. It's what I'd expect. The authorities (presumably CPSC, FAA, fire department) are going to finish their investigation before turning it over Samsung. That is what you'd expect. Samsung cannot make any informed statements until they can get a look at the device.
The federal government should figure out what happened and the last thing they should do with the evidence is give it to the company that has the most to gain if it is somehow not their fault.

buzzard

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I had high hopes for Note 7. Was really considering getting it. Now I'm concerned about being able to use it during a flight. Can't justify getting a phone I won't be able to use when I want.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had high hopes for Note 7. Was really considering getting it. Now I'm concerned about being able to use it during a flight. Can't justify getting a phone I won't be able to use when I want.
I'm still waiting to try V20 but Note 7 is still in the running if no more of these events occur. I was also considering Pixel XL but the bezels are huge like iPhone. Still probably zero lag so tempting. I will at least try it when they show up at VZW stores.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
The point is, people with normal reasoning can figure out that, while these incidents make the news, they are totally inconsequential and the likelihood of any tragic consequence as a result of a Samsung phone exploding is much smaller than likelihood of getting poisoned (and dying) by a Big Mac. Yet, we'll never see a recall of Big Mac.

These analogies just make my head spin. If McDonald's had a huge recall due to tainted beef, even though not all the beef would hurt you, would you still eat one? Furthermore if you did and died, you wouldn't impact anyone nor would you wind up bringing down a plane, unless you were the pilot.

I get what you are saying, but the impact it a faulty device impacts more than just the person who bought the phone.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
These analogies just make my head spin. If McDonald's had a huge recall due to tainted beef, even though not all the beef would hurt you, would you still eat one? Furthermore if you did and died, you wouldn't impact anyone nor would you wind up bringing down a plane, unless you were the pilot.

I get what you are saying, but the impact it a faulty device impacts more than just the person who bought the phone.
A faulty phone isn't going to bring down a plane either.

2ndnephew

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
oh boy. This will further give samsung a hard time shipping stocks of new NOTE 7. Hope new and safe NOTE 7 will arrive at the Philippines, soon.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

Well figuring the material in airplanes isn't 100% fire resistant it's certainly possible that fumes from the fire would bring down the plane. And in mid air any fire would cause mass hysteria on the plane.

I think at this point the FAA should just ban the Note 7 outright. It will be your choice if you choose to bring your Note 7 to the airport and risk it being confiscated as you go through the security check point.

I guess now it would be wiser to wait for the Note 8, hopefully it doesn't explode. But if Samsung does manage to get a grip on the issues with the note 7, to make up for lost revenue they might have to offer the phone at a cheaper price.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think the Note 7 should be banned on all flights as well. If something happens, people are going to be really upset that a faulty device that could result in fire was permitted on board.

Would you want to spend hours in a plane at 30,000 feet with something that could catch fire?

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Look at Samsung washer recall that is 4 years old and they are still having washers explode. I really hope this is not a replaced note 7, I want to like this phone, but if there's still issues after the recall the note 7 could be dead.

Edit.. Let's keep in mind that the Samsung s7's have had phone burn up to. Samsung could be in trouble if this proves true. I might be one demanding to exchange for a different phone also of this proves true, I love this phone to.
The washers didn't "explode" ,A mechanical piece of hardware came apart. I don't think any fire was involved. The word explode shouldn't 've used in the case of the washers nor Note 7. Have you wondered why this keeps supposedly is happening on airplanes?. I have a Note 7 replacement that doesn't get hot like my recall didn't get hot. But I can manipulate it and cause it to do exactly what the one on the SW plane did. But just because there was a pix of a replacement box doesn't mean it was a replacement phone. They said they verified the IMEI number and they proved it was a replacement. So how did they verify that when the phone was damaged and couldn't be turned on. Certainly not by the box because how do we know the phone came out of that box? But we are to believe this but let's wait for the investigation. But the damage to Samsung has been done, but that's the purpose of all this. But believe everything you hear or see. We shouldn't act brain dead.

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the Note 7 should be banned on all flights as well. If something happens, people are going to be really upset that a faulty device that could result in fire was permitted on board.

Would you want to spend hours in a plane at 30,000 feet with something that could catch fire?
Ban all electronics like they have done before. We all survived then. Good thing it didn't caught fire mid air like the iPhone 6 did.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
The washers didn't "explode" ,A mechanical piece of hardware came apart. I don't think any fire was involved. The word explode shouldn't 've used in the case of the washers nor Note 7. .

Per the definition, seems apt. The note 7 ejected hot material when it went, that one dog got badly burned....the washer also threw parts everywhere when that spoke failed. Definition does not mean fire.

ex·plode
ikˈsplōd/
verb
burst or shatter violently and noisily as a result of rapid combustion, decomposition, excessive internal pressure, or other process, typically scattering fragments widely.
"a large bomb exploded in a park"
synonyms:blow up, detonate, go off, burst (apart), fly apart, erupt

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
The owner did state he had done the update which turned the battery green but who knows. Only reason I don't think he's making it up is it caused a big inconvenience for himself; by that I mean his flight getting canceled and having to sit at an airport waiting for another one to be available. Samsung will get the phone and investigate what happened. Remember the incident right after the replacements came out and someone claimed that their replacement caught on fire. Samsung got the phone and determined that the heat source came from outside of the phone so it wasn't the battery.
Perhaps he had nowhere to go. Thus it didn't matter to him if the flight was cancelled. Also how do we know if it was a replacement phone? The box? That couldn't have been any box from another replacement phone. I have 4 boxes in my office. IMEI number? No because the phone was damaged so you can't turn it on to see the actual number. Could of very well been a recalled phone. I have a replacement Note 7 and I can cause the battery to malfunction if I wanted to but why would I do that? So could he. So he turned it off before boarding? Then took that long walk thru the corridor to the plane and it started popping and smoking in his back pocket. So I guess it was off for at least 30 seconds before popping and smoking? Think about it. Notice the Verge article said he already replaced his damaged phone with an IPhone 7? Why was that necessary to write? Good for Apple I guess. But the damage to Samsung has been done. That's all it takes. Guilty until proven innocent.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

They'd have to extend that to anything with a lithium battery since the Note isn't the first device to have caught fire on an airliner.

That's hard, because some airliners, like the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, have lithium batteries as part of their power supply, and it suffered some early issues with them, even leading to them being grounded.

fishmd

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Technically then all electronic devices would need to be banned. All carry lithium ion batteries and could have the potential for this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85