Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
You folks do know that other devices have done this kind of thing and not exclusive to the Note 7. If there was a serious concern, ban Ecigs and cheap battery power packs. Far more of those.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I think the Note 7 should be banned on all flights as well. If something happens, people are going to be really upset that a faulty device that could result in fire was permitted on board.

Would you want to spend hours in a plane at 30,000 feet with something that could catch fire?
Lets be real - If this were the case... The ban would need to apply to all devices with lithium ion batteries...

Generally speaking - all of these phones use the same core manufacturers for supplying various parts to make these phones... I'm fairly certain that it was noted somewhere that the N7 replacements are actually using the same battery manufacturer as the iphone..

There was an interesting news story on this morning where they made the point that none these devices and batteries have a minimum spec/level defined and that the US should look heavily into locking down and being more stringent on all devices / batteries moving forward.

EDIT: found the article re: Samsung using same manufacturer for replacements as the iphone -

http://www.zdnet.com/article/samsung-to-use-apples-main-battery-supplier-for-note-7-report/

Last edited:

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Let's get real here folks - it frankly doesn't make any difference whether it was a replacement or not; whether he lied or not; whether he abused it or not; whether he used the wrong charger or not - the real issue is that a fire occurred on an airplane (thank god while still on the ground) - and it WAS A NOTE 7! How do the airlines take ANY risk and allow Note 7's on the planes? You can say that is absurd and a knee jerk reaction, but do you want to be corporate counsel and tell the board of Southwest we should err on the side of accommodating Note 7 users vs. the other 150 passengers on the 737?

Really?
How are you so sure it was a Note 7 or a replacement Note 7. That picture could have come from me. Notice which side the burned battery is on compared to other photos of burnted Note 7s.

olga421

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I had the old Note7 , and had no issues , now I have the replacement note 7 and nooo issues , so I don't get it how these individuals have phones that over heat really I don't ...and to say ban the Note 7 from all airplanes is a very ignorant comment because there's a lot of electronic gadgets that have the potential to go boom

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Just a heads-up for folks: Some N7's owners are being advised to keep their N7 turned off during entire cruise trips for some liners out there.

https://www.neowin.net/news/your-samsung-galaxy-note7-may-be-banned-on-your-next-cruise

Chances are this situation isn't as bad as it's being perceived to be, but better to keep these things somewhere in mind as many folks have planned or are planning trips during the upcoming holidays (or if you're going on a cruise really soon) and would like to use your phone.

kevinpleasants

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
The article on the verge has pics of the replacement box as well as they've verified the imei is reporting as green via the Samsung validation site.

CPSC is stepping in as well...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/5/1...re-replacement-plane-investigation-regulators
How did they verify the IMEI number, the phone they showed in the picture was damaged and doesn't look like it could be powered on . By the number on the box? Could've been a box from another phone. I have 4 replacement boxes at my home.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the Note 7 had no chance as soon as the initial problem hit the media. Even if the problem is fixed, the fact that even a replaced device can fail would be too much for the public to handle. Statistically, whatever the failure rate is, it's too much for the public to handle. 100 in a million, no one wants to knowingly take that risk. Maybe if the public didn't know about this incident, all would be well.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
These analogies just make my head spin. If McDonald's had a huge recall due to tainted beef, even though not all the beef would hurt you, would you still eat one? Furthermore if you did and died, you wouldn't impact anyone nor would you wind up bringing down a plane, unless you were the pilot.

I get what you are saying, but the impact it a faulty device impacts more than just the person who bought the phone.

Just ask Chipolte about that. Coincidentally, McDonald's use to own a majority share.

Nobody is dying from these events. Worst case has been some burns. I don't want to be on a plane with a fire, but do we really think a phone fire is going to bring down a plane? I don't.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the Note 7 should be banned on all flights as well. If something happens, people are going to be really upset that a faulty device that could result in fire was permitted on board.

Would you want to spend hours in a plane at 30,000 feet with something that could catch fire?

You mean like cigarettes and matches and stuff? People did it for years . . .

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You mean like cigarettes and matches and stuff? People did it for years . . .

I didn't know cigarettes and matches could go into thermal runaway and self ignite.

People made the conscious decision to smoke in the bathroom. It's not like they were throwing butts on the floor or wrapping them in toilet paper.

The thing with batteries is that you don't know when. Could be when one is sleeping...or when everyone is standing and waiting to get their overhead luggage.

Maybe there should be a metallic disposal container for lithium accidents like this. The problem is that the smoke isnt going to stop. It's not like you can smother it.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know cigarettes and matches could go into thermal runaway and self ignite.

People made the conscious decision to smoke in the bathroom. It's not like they were throwing butts on the floor or wrapping them in toilet paper.

The thing with batteries is that you don't know when. Could be when one is sleeping...or when everyone is standing and waiting to get their overhead luggage.

Maybe there should be a metallic disposal container for lithium accidents like this. The problem is that the smoke isnt going to stop. It's not like you can smother it.

People used to smoke right in their airline seats. No one had to hide in the bathroom to do it. :D

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
How did they verify the IMEI number, the phone they showed in the picture was damaged and doesn't look like it could be powered on . By the number on the box? Could've been a box from another phone. I have 4 replacement boxes at my home.

If the back plate wasn't damaged, think it can be seen. It's scribed at the back of your phone in very small fonts.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Statistically, whatever the failure rate is, it's too much for the public to handle. 100 in a million, no one wants to knowingly take that risk. .

If what you said were true, no one would drive a Toyota/Lexus, drive Fords, take Tylenol, eat spinach, eat peanut butter, etc. In these cases, defects caused serious injury, even deaths in some cases. Yet the companies fixed the problems and those products are doing fine today. Most don't people even remember the defects/recalls after a few months.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
A post recall phone in china explodes, this guy on the plane and let's not forget Koreans with the newer phones complaining of overheating which Samsung acknowledged and said its a local issue??? :confused: Do these things have a electronic issue with various power sources that cause issues??

Honestly I would say if you hear one more new phone explode... I'd agree on the boycott of Note 7s.... Refuse to buy it telling Samsung... fix it or that's it for the Note 7 and move on to another phone.

He is overacting on the only phone that has had a report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool