Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If what you said were true, no one would drive a Toyota/Lexus, drive Fords, take Tylenol, eat spinach, eat peanut butter, etc. In these cases, defects caused serious injury, even deaths in some cases. Yet the companies fixed the problems and those products are doing fine today. Most don't people even remember the defects/recalls after a few months.

True, but something must be said to the circumstances.
If you've got an "exploding Note 7" in a park, nobody cares.

Take it somewhere like mass transit, people feel uncomfortable because they can't leave when they want. They don't have that sense of control as they would if they were driving or in a building.

People can choose not to consume a product or drive a certain car, but they can't choose to fly with a potentially hazardous device. They don't know.

Im not saying it is the same as terrorism, but there is something about uncertainty and knowingly compromising safety that makes people worried.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
A post recall phone in china explodes, this guy on the plane and let's not forget Koreans with the newer phones complaining of overheating which Samsung acknowledged and said its a local issue??? :confused: Do these things have a electronic issue with various power sources that cause issues??

Honestly I would say if you hear one more new phone explode... I'd agree on the boycott of Note 7s.... Refuse to buy it telling Samsung... fix it or that's it for the Note 7 and move on to another phone.
The China phone was never part of the recall.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Im not going to go into panic mode until Samsung sends me something saying I need to return the phone. Until then I'll let Samsung investigate and use my phone.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If they had a number of exploding phones in a 1-2 month period I'd be on that bandwagon too if I was interested in buying one or an owner. From what I read from the various mentions of them... none have a connection like the issue here. This is more than an issue of, "all phone companies have exploding phones "... brand new phone... put two months... and can't get a month without a number of phones exploding??

Where is this same adamant tone from the iPhone fires over the past few years?

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Im not saying it is the same as terrorism, but there is something about uncertainty and knowingly compromising safety that makes people worried.

My point was that people collectively are better at understanding risk in the long run than some of the discussion here would suggest.

I do agree though that the circumstance (in an airplane) leads to a cognitive bias in which people rate the risk of occurrence higher than it really is. So far all we know is that there has been one report in the US and cause is unknown.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
How are you so sure it was a Note 7 or a replacement Note 7. That picture could have come from me. Notice which side the burned battery is on compared to other photos of burnted Note 7s.

You quoted my whole post and didn't even read my very first sentence - it doesn't matter whether it was a replacement or not - please go back and read it then try and make a point.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The washers didn't "explode" ,A mechanical piece of hardware came apart. I don't think any fire was involved. The word explode shouldn't 've used in the case of the washers nor Note 7. Have you wondered why this keeps supposedly is happening on airplanes?. I have a Note 7 replacement that doesn't get hot like my recall didn't get hot. But I can manipulate it and cause it to do exactly what the one on the SW plane did. But just because there was a pix of a replacement box doesn't mean it was a replacement phone. They said they verified the IMEI number and they proved it was a replacement. So how did they verify that when the phone was damaged and couldn't be turned on. Certainly not by the box because how do we know the phone came out of that box? But we are to believe this but let's wait for the investigation. But the damage to Samsung has been done, but that's the purpose of all this. But believe everything you hear or see. We shouldn't act brain dead.
I know, just saying what the media says. Either way my point is they still have washers that look like they exploded 4 years later. Concerns me that they never really fixed that problem, the note 7 could fall into that category, which I hope not. I am still using the note 7 and intend to keep using it.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the Note 7 had no chance as soon as the initial problem hit the media. Even if the problem is fixed, the fact that even a replaced device can fail would be too much for the public to handle. Statistically, whatever the failure rate is, it's too much for the public to handle. 100 in a million, no one wants to knowingly take that risk. Maybe if the public didn't know about this incident, all would be well.
The thing is the public is taking that risk with any phone or electronic device. Just goes to show how many people are sheep and allow themselves to be herded by the media

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The thing is the public is taking that risk with any phone or electronic device. Just goes to show how many people are sheep and allow themselves to be herded by the media

Driving is FAR more likely to hurt or kill you, but that is applying logic. Our society has become a bunch of wimps (no disrespect). I spent years in the Marines, so I'm jaded like that. 0331 Ooorah! :)

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Driving is FAR more likely to hurt or kill you, but that is applying logic. Our society has become a bunch of wimps (no disrespect). I spent years in the Marines, so I'm jaded like that. 0331 Ooorah! :)
Yes and let's not forget how many people use there phone while driving and texting really increases the danger factor

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
That's making an excuse for a product that people have reported a serious safety issue on and trying to give them a pass. This issue... like I said, 2 cases so far with the new black square labled "safe" units and overheating issues reported in S. Korea on the newer units. Time will tell if it is but I'm not gonna give them a free pass so soon.

The first issue that led to the recall?? They owned up to it... you don't recall 2.5 million units unless there was something really wrong with it but you want to blur it because of a possibly dishonest jeep owner or a couple of other stories. Samsung had their own list of documented incidents that led them to make the recall.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Wow... This thread blew up since yesterday...

If there were other reports I'd be more concerned... As it stands now - indications are this may be a single (unfortunate) incident.
This.

I can't believe the speculation without any details. Was the phone plugged in? If not wouldn't the episode be an extremely perfect storm? Is the model confirmed? If confirmed N7... has it been confirmed to be pre/post recall?

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Heck, the one thing I wish they'd get from this is that the battery SHOULD BE REMOVABLE. This feature alone could have solved a TON of problems...

It would also create a ton of new ones. First of all: removable battery and waterproof don't go together well. Secondly, even if the battery is removable: if you have a broken one installed, it'll still burn / blow up. Thirdly, phones with removable battery were prone to blowing up. Why? Because people were buying el-cheapo third-party batteries from China.

The only one who'd profit from that would be Samsung, as they could recall the batteries rather than the entire phone.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Hate to say it, but I would say yes, it's as good as dead. I can't see many who will still consider buying a Note 7 at this point.

Again trying to not be too negative however im feeling the replacement devices were rushed too and may have issues. My replacement has gotten bit warm since two days so idk... I'm worried about it blowing up bit trying to hold on to the last glimmer of hope that the replacement devices are in fact safe but doubt it ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63