Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
These analogies just make my head spin. If McDonald's had a huge recall due to tainted beef, even though not all the beef would hurt you, would you still eat one? Furthermore if you did and died, you wouldn't impact anyone nor would you wind up bringing down a plane, unless you were the pilot.

I get what you are saying, but the impact it a faulty device impacts more than just the person who bought the phone.

Agreed. No doubt the vast majority of Chipotle's customers never suffered from eColi. But a few did, probably less than 1 in 1 million of those served that month. But as a result, the location by me, that used to have lines out the door is now largely empty. When you have so many other options, people just select another place.

Roostaapp

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Have they said why the battery is exploding? yeah they finally admitted it and kind of blamed the company in china that supplied them, but have they said as to what is making them explode?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
A faulty phone isn't going to bring down a plane either.

Read up on Swiss Air 111 and it's crash at Peggy's Cove or for an extreme incident Air Florida,

Fire in air is a crew's worse nightmare. A few more of these happen and all electronics, regardless of manufacturer, with lithium batteries will be disallowed on aircraft.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Read up on Swiss Air 111 and it's crash at Peggy's Cove or for an extreme incident Air Florida,

Fire in air is a crew's worse nightmare. A few more of these happen and all electronics, regardless of manufacturer, with lithium batteries will be disallowed on aircraft.
Never said a fire couldn't bring a plane down. A single phone failing isn't going to bring a plane down. Here's the cause of the Swiss Air crash- notice - above the ceiling, so it wasn't a cell phone:

Aircraft certification standards for material flammability were inadequate in that they allowed the use of materials that could be ignited and sustain or propagate fire. Consequently, flammable material propagated a fire that started above the ceiling on the right side of the cockpit near the cockpit rear wall. The fire spread and intensified rapidly to the extent that it degraded aircraft systems and the cockpit environment, and ultimately led to the loss of control of the aircraft.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Which points to the fact that if there are still issues with the replacement batteries, then Samsung has a design/engineering defect on their hands that can't be easily solved. I don't think it would go unreported if new iPhone 7/7+ units were catching fire with the frequency that the launch day Note 7's were. Social media is too prevalent and the media is too hungry for this sort of thing.
We are now talking about one reported incident in the US since the new replacements have been shipped... I'm not aware of any other reports - otherwise I'm sure we'd see nonstop updates in the news by now ...

There isn't any supporting evidence (yet) to indicate this new report of a battery on the replacements are also problematic and need to be replaced.

There are many reasons why the one reported issue may have failed.... Either due to QC, build issues with that one phone, shipping issues, outside mitigating impacts, or possibly something the owner unknowingly did to trigger it (I.e. he dropped it on just the right spot)..

I'm fairly certain that there was also a recent report of a user receiving a iphone 7 with the battery exploded - albeit due to damage while shipping. For all we know this is a similar incident - where the damage isn't as visible.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Swissair Flight 111's fire wasn't caused by a lithium battery, though.

It was due to an arc from the wire of a Swissair-installed aftermarket IFE (in-flight entertainment) system that probably had a faulty installation.

Aircraft usually have a fire-retardant insulation wrapped around the entire airframe. but at the time, the McDonnell Douglas MD-11 along with many other airliners used metalized mylar, which somehow passed the FAA's flammability test even though it was actually very flammable. Net result is that the arc caused the insulation to catch fire and its flammable nature allowed it to spread very quickly, burning through the wires for critical flight instruments. disabling them.

A better example would be UPS Flight 6, a Boeing 747-400F which suffered a catastrophic in-flight fire caused by a packet containing lithium batteries, which caused a fire so severe, it was too much for the 747's fire-suppression system to overcome and damaged flight controls.

But I can understand why it's a cause for concern for a lot of people.

Last edited:

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
We are now talking about one reported incident in the US since the new replacements have been shipped... I'm not aware of any other reports - otherwise I'm sure we'd see nonstop updates in the news by now ...

Though true, it is the absolute worst possible single incident Samsung could have feared - short of injury or death to someone. A replacement phone, catching fire on a crowded airplane. Even it if is only one for now, this is the scenario with the biggest potential ramifications - for the FAA, for we users who want to fly safely, and who want to have a safe phone.

It's just one incident. But it's just about the WORST POSSIBLE one incident IMO ...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Though true, it is the absolute worst possible single incident Samsung could have feared - short of injury or death to someone. A replacement phone, catching fire on a crowded airplane. Even it if is only one for now, this is the scenario with the biggest potential ramifications - for the FAA, for we users who want to fly safely, and who want to have a safe phone.

It's just one incident. But it's just about the WORST POSSIBLE one incident IMO ...
If more phones and other lithium battery-powered devices catch fire while in an airliner, I'm betting that we'll see sweeping changes.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Maybe lithium battery design with demands to make higher capacity batteries packed into thinner and thinner phones has compromised safe design. I personally have been wanting phones with larger and larger batteries but I never cared about super thin phones... but the trend is go as thin as iphone. I know the battery capacity is a tad smaller than the S7 Edge but I believe the phone is thinner forcing battery to be thinner and the materials used in sealing these soft batteries must be super thin now. Not like a hard case on the removeable batteries eh?

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Maybe lithium battery design with demands to make higher capacity batteries packed into thinner and thinner phones has compromised safe design. I personally have been wanting phones with larger and larger batteries but I never cared about super thin phones... but the trend is go as thin as iphone. I know the battery capacity is a tad smaller than the S7 Edge but I believe the phone is thinner forcing battery to be thinner and the materials used in sealing these soft batteries must be super thin now. Not like a hard case on the removeable batteries eh?

They could bring back Droid Bionic w/extended battery style bricks. There wouldn't be much excuse for what could or couldn't get put in a phone then. Won't happen I know, but still.

oldskoolstyle70

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Just a thought...maybe Samsung didn't build out all these replacement phone and deemed some of the current inventory safe, placed the new lable with the black square over the old one and issued those. Then built some new ones with the V2 kit code. Could be a bad one still lies in the relabeled ones.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Just a thought...maybe Samsung didn't build out all these replacement phone and deemed some of the current inventory safe, placed the new lable with the black square over the old one and issued those. Then built some new ones with the V2 kit code. Could be a bad one still lies in the relabeled ones.
They'd be damned if that's true.

Because they did say that all the replacements are new batches.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

I'm also curious about this. I've seen it said that all replacements were made in China, but my replacement was made in Korea.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I doubt they used any of the old ones. Just use that app that will show manufacture date and you'll see it should have a date after the recall announcement.

I'm also curious about this. I've seen it said that all replacements were made in China, but my replacement was made in Korea.

jbcatl

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
That means they basically misled customers, and either the CPSC was also misled, or complicit. I'm not sure which is worse... If they were that stupid they deserve the amount of hurt that's coming their way.

Mine is just like the one that melted down on the Southwest plane, an AT&T Black Note 7 with the black square on the fugly AT&T box, so I am carrying exactly the same phone as the one that erupted.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
The Bloomberg report also reveals one other interesting detail about the cause of original Galaxy Note 7 explosions that may have gone largely unnoticed. The original batteries that Samsung used for the phone were “slightly too large for the phone’s compartment.” The battery components were sometimes pinched, which could cause a short circuit, the safety commission said when announcing the recall on September 15th.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The Bloomberg report also reveals one other interesting detail about the cause of original Galaxy Note 7 explosions that may have gone largely unnoticed. The original batteries that Samsung used for the phone were “slightly too large for the phone’s compartment.” The battery components were sometimes pinched, which could cause a short circuit, the safety commission said when announcing the recall on September 15th.
And that's the problem.. People want smaller phones with high capacity batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt