Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, don't care what kind of phone it is... the moment they mention "it was in my back pocket"... you get what you deserve. Maybe manufacturers fault going with soft batteries to make the phones as thin as possible or they do it so that they can pack more things is the same thickness but a phones gonna flex if put in a situation like back pocket and dunno if these batteries even like the littlest of flex over time.

Sit your butt down once too hard once to often and rupture the battery... you get what you deserve imo lol.

https://www.google.com/amp/bgr.com/...-explosion-fire/amp/?client=ms-android-att-us

No phone is immune to this explosion sadly. I guess once again we wait and see if note 7 is a failure or not. So stupid.. thanks Samsung.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I would suggest several things:
a. We should wait for the findings to be released before really worrying about a single incident that is currently under investigation.
b. Please consider that media (all sources) worry more about getting exposure rather than reporting fact. we should keep this in mind when reacting to posted content.
c. the term "Exploded" keeps popping up. here is the definition from Dictionary.com
Examples Word Origin
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
verb (used without object), exploded, exploding.
1. to expand with force and noise because of rapid chemical change or decomposition, as gunpowder or nitroglycerine (opposed to implode ).
2. to burst, fly into pieces, or break up violently with a loud report, as a boiler from excessive pressure of steam.
3. to burst forth violently or emotionally, especially with noise, laughter, violent speech, etc.:
He exploded with rage when contradicted.
____________________________________________________________________________________

AFAIK, all reported incidents could have been better described as an energetic meltdown of the battery than an explosion.

Cheers,
BR

oldskoolstyle70

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure that the research will turn up something possibly defective with the phone. Even then, does that mean all of the phones are bad? IMHO it doesn't. It just means a defective phone had an issue. One phone. There was no way Samsung or any manufacturer can guarantee a zero fault rate with a mass produced item.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure that the research will turn up something possibly defective with the phone. Even then, does that mean all of the phones are bad? IMHO it doesn't. It just means a defective phone had an issue. One phone. There was no way Samsung or any manufacturer can guarantee a zero fault rate with a mass produced item.

To expand on what you are saying, there is a term in All Manufacturing "Allowable out of factory failure" simply said all companies that build things know that there will be a small percentage of product that fails very early on.

Cheers,
BR

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
yeah... by definition then it can fit with the description in #1... owner/witness say popping noise and of course chemical change as it's burning after the popping and smoking... it exploded.

It doesn't have to be super violent that debris explode like a bomb.. but if you ever played with those snap caps as a kid throwing them at your friends feet and it pops... it's exploding.

pop-pop-snappers.jpg

I would suggest several things:
a. We should wait for the findings to be released before really worrying about a single incident that is currently under investigation.
b. Please consider that media (all sources) worry more about getting exposure rather than reporting fact. we should keep this in mind when reacting to posted content.
c. the term "Exploded" keeps popping up. here is the definition from Dictionary.com
Examples Word Origin
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
verb (used without object), exploded, exploding.
1. to expand with force and noise because of rapid chemical change or decomposition, as gunpowder or nitroglycerine (opposed to implode ).
2. to burst, fly into pieces, or break up violently with a loud report, as a boiler from excessive pressure of steam.
3. to burst forth violently or emotionally, especially with noise, laughter, violent speech, etc.:
He exploded with rage when contradicted.
____________________________________________________________________________________

AFAIK, all reported incidents could have been better described as an energetic meltdown of the battery than an explosion.

Cheers,
BR

BarfingMonkey

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought...maybe Samsung didn't build out all these replacement phone and deemed some of the current inventory safe, placed the new lable with the black square over the old one and issued those. Then built some new ones with the V2 kit code. Could be a bad one still lies in the relabeled ones.
That's how my box looks, 2 stickers.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Then what if it is a size issue, packing so much power and the soft casing is just not up to spec whether slightly too large for the space allocated or the casing made too thin to cram in that space... the fix would be to recall and fit the phone with a smaller battery?... put in a 3000 mah battery that fits better?? that would be a deal breaker for me if battery life reduced. They might as well put the Note 7 behind them.

The Bloomberg report also reveals one other interesting detail about the cause of original Galaxy Note 7 explosions that may have gone largely unnoticed. The original batteries that Samsung used for the phone were “slightly too large for the phone’s compartment.” The battery components were sometimes pinched, which could cause a short circuit, the safety commission said when announcing the recall on September 15th.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Then what if it is a size issue, packing so much power and the soft casing is just not up to spec whether slightly too large for the space allocated or the casing made too thin to cram in that space... the fix would be to recall and fit the phone with a smaller battery?... put in a 3000 mah battery that fits better?? that would be a deal breaker for me if battery life reduced. They might as well put the Note 7 behind them.
If that was the case, an internal redesign would be much better.

No way would they fit a smaller battery. They mentioned it as part of their launch keynote.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well I went the small battery route because I don't think they either have the time or spend the time to do an internal redesign. They'd probably scrap it at that point I guess.

If that was the case, an internal redesign would be much better.

No way would they fit a smaller battery. They mentioned it as part of their launch keynote.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

If the size of the phone ultimately is related to the battery issues, they ought to redesign the N8 entirely. It seems like phones have hit a tipping point of thinness. Sort of like how at one time phones kept getting smaller, then they ended up getting to huge screens. Maybe it's time for phones to return to being a bit thicker?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well I went the small battery route because I don't think they either have the time or spend the time to do an internal redesign. They'd probably scrap it at that point I guess.
IMO, scrapping it isn't ideal either.

Because this would show that they are no longer confident in their own product, which actually creates another negative stigma and will make people question the way Samsung is doing things.

I'll say this. The priority now is for Samsung to support current Note 7 owners. Scrapping it would not solve the issue entirely as they will then have to contend with angry Note 7 users along with a new set of questions.

I'll add this too. If Samsung were to kill off the Note 7, I will be buying something else. I cannot maintain confidence in a company that isn't confident in its own product.

There's just no way out for Samsung that will make life easier.

My 2 cents.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, I'd like them to not scrap it either and if they can definitively say this is a one-off or two-off issue and no more reports of south Koreans complaining of overheating, then I'll still probably buy one. I have a deal I can get through work and itching to use it while I have it.

IMO, scrapping it isn't ideal either.

Because this would show that they are no longer confident in their own product, which actually creates another negative stigma and will make people question the way Samsung is doing things.

I'll say this. The priority now is for Samsung to support current Note 7 owners. Scrapping it would not solve the issue entirely as they will then have to contend with angry Note 7 users along with a new set of questions.

I'll say this. If Samsung were to kill off the Note 7, I will be buying something else. I cannot maintain confidence in a company that isn't confident in its own product.

There's just no way out for Samsung that will make life easier.

My 2 cents.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Because there is no recalls on iPhones and they are considered one of the best phones out there.
I wouldn't say the iPhone is entirely free from recalls.

Granted, they were not safety issues and as such, were just called replacement-programs, but some iPhones had them for some hardware defects, most of which aren't related to safety and are usually an annoyance at worst.

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think they have to scrap it. Most of the world never recieved it. May countries still have the original pre orders from early August which means Jan earliest for delivery.
They should issue existing customers there money back plus a 50 percent discount or free Samsung vouchers to be used on note 8 non transferable. Either way they are going to lose a fortune but seriously who as a business person will by a note 7 they can't use on a plane or boat.
My 2 pence worth.

mscjr

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
With news source "experts" declaring it's time to 'amputate', 'scrap', and 'discontinue' the Note 7, we could be looking at a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I can't imagine anyone on the fence at this point is going to run out and buy a Note 7 as an impulse purchase (edge cases notwithstanding) unless they're ignorant of the fiasco. Worst case scenario: it leads to additional regulation in the US; it hurts Samsung in a way that carries into adjacent Galaxy products.

It's a shame really - I was all in on the Note 7 when it launched, I loved my S7e but had a few issues that the N7 fixed.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
They're not perfect... but they perform. They are just solid, maybe boring to many, phones.

Take away all the articles where the phones exploded in their back pockets or the person fell off the bike and landed on his phone, etc... explosion stories are fewer and farther between this issue.

Eh ok... they make a whining sound... but hopefully it doesn't explode after hearing the sound lol.

I wouldn't say the iPhone is entirely free from recalls.

Granted, they were not safety issues and as such, were just called replacement-programs, but some iPhones had them for some hardware defects, most of which aren't related to safety and are usually an annoyance at worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae