Replacement Note 7 explodes.... on a plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
They're not perfect... but they perform. They are just solid, maybe boring to many, phones.

Take away all the articles where the phones exploded in their back pockets or the person fell off the bike and landed on his phone, etc... explosion stories are fewer and farther between this issue.

Eh ok... they make a whining sound... but hopefully it doesn't explode after hearing the sound lol.
I'm not really bothered about the whining sound, really. More concerned about the Intel modem on the AT&T plus T-Mobile variants of the iPhone 7.

But I am interested in them. Probably not buying one as my daily driver, but I'll probably be using someone else's for a while.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Read up on Swiss Air 111 and it's crash at Peggy's Cove or for an extreme incident Air Florida,

Fire in air is a crew's worse nightmare. A few more of these happen and all electronics, regardless of manufacturer, with lithium batteries will be disallowed on aircraft.

Then the pilots can no longer use their iPads with their books on the aircraft policies that the companies give them. This will never happen.

dstrauss

May 7, 2014
Visit site
One thing that is most critical here is not whether it was or was not a replacement, but if they can determine it was truly turned off; if it was, then the airlines will be faced with the tough decision of a complete ban because there is no safe mode of transport. Let's hope he "fudged" a little when he was recounting his version of the facts...

anigif_enhanced-7690-1417560595-1_preview.gif

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
One thing that is most critical here is not whether it was or was not a replacement, but if they can determine it was truly turned off; if it was, then the airlines will be faced with the tough decision of a complete ban because there is no safe mode of transport. Let's hope he "fudged" a little when he was recounting his version of the facts...

I don't expect any outright bans. If they do try, and Samsung (and the CPSC and FAA) come to the conclusion that this was one of those fluke 'acceptable failure rate' sort of episodes... then Samsung will most likely go to court to either have the airline lift the ban, or ban ALL phones, regardless of manufacturer... and since there is data to back them up...

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Never said a fire couldn't bring a plane down. A single phone failing isn't going to bring a plane down. Here's the cause of the Swiss Air crash- notice - above the ceiling, so it wasn't a cell phone:

Aircraft certification standards for material flammability were inadequate in that they allowed the use of materials that could be ignited and sustain or propagate fire. Consequently, flammable material propagated a fire that started above the ceiling on the right side of the cockpit near the cockpit rear wall. The fire spread and intensified rapidly to the extent that it degraded aircraft systems and the cockpit environment, and ultimately led to the loss of control of the aircraft.

Not complete. The original source of ignition was a short in an electrical circuit in the entertainment system that sparked a minor fire. This should not have causes the material to burn, but it did because of the materials. Same could be said a phone (or any other ignition source) in a seat back, briefcase, or luggage that started to burn. An in-air fire is one the worse nightmare for every pilot I know. It is the reason why when you are trained as a pilot they teach you to never reset a circuit breaker more than once.

7AndTRT

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
Stuck in the Apple system
All the stars have it, some think its a status symbol..

Or, and stay with me now as this is a crazy thought...they work best for that user? That user has also used Android and didn't find that it meshed with their use case? It's an educated choice? I know, it's crayzee to suggest such a thing.

Enough with the fan wars.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Read up on Swiss Air 111 and it's crash at Peggy's Cove or for an extreme incident Air Florida,

Fire in air is a crew's worse nightmare. A few more of these happen and all electronics, regardless of manufacturer, with lithium batteries will be disallowed on aircraft.

No more LiPo batteries on planes would be an interesting and far reaching decision, that IMO, would not be merited based on current data. Computer, phones, and tablets all use LiPo. I am sure I am not thinking of a few other devices as well. Eliminating them from planes would shut down business travel almost completely. How else am I going to get my computer there?

Also, to do so would ignore the long history of safely flying with these batteries over the last how many years? This is not a new development, it is one with increased visibility due to a specific issue. In 6 months, society will be panicked about something completely different.

Chicken Littles have very short attention spans.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Because there is no recalls on iPhones and they are considered one of the best phones out there.

There have been at least two iPhone fires on planes and other documented fires. Where is the same standard?

Most of the media and a lot of posts have zero clue about battery materials, production, charging process, QC, etc- yet make lots of grand presumptions and shoot first with zero questions after. Even the freakin' Jeep is getting regurgitated by media. The phone being off makes zero sense and if was at that fail threshold would have fried while on and drawing charge. Something else is going on. Have no clue what, but something was funky with the device.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
IMO, scrapping it isn't ideal either.

Because this would show that they are no longer confident in their own product, which actually creates another negative stigma and will make people question the way Samsung is doing things.

I'll say this. The priority now is for Samsung to support current Note 7 owners. Scrapping it would not solve the issue entirely as they will then have to contend with angry Note 7 users along with a new set of questions.

I'll add this too. If Samsung were to kill off the Note 7, I will be buying something else. I cannot maintain confidence in a company that isn't confident in its own product.

There's just no way out for Samsung that will make life easier.

My 2 cents.

They are going to have to do something. And cutting their loses with the Note 7 might be the way to go.

If I were in charge of Samsung. I would have my engineers work on a mild technical refresh of the Note with new packaging so it looked physically different than the Note 7, and a new battery (removable?). I would have them work real hard to be able to show the new Note 8, or whatever the new name is, at MWC, and have it in channels by Spring.

vasic

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Why do people keep buying iPhones then?
Well, at the risk of sounding like some shill, I would guess the most common reason is because there is an overwhelming majority of reviews that declare them the best smartphones out there and recommend them without reservation.

Samsung is having a prolonged nightmare with this model. Regardless of the objective risk or danger (which is negligible), the general perception around the world is that these phones are dangerous, it is virtually certain that airlines, train lines and bus companies will soon institute complete ban on these devices, so ordinary consumers, armed with this information, simply have no reason to pick a Samsung. And make no mistake, even if these bans are only for non-replaced Note 7, large percentage of general public will simply avoid Samsung as a brand. The only way for Samsung to convince anyone to actually buy a Samsung phone will be with a significantly lower price. This might work for the flagship high-end devices (but would represent a dramatic hit on profit margins), but it wouldn't make any difference for the $150 stuff.

LG, HTC and, of course, Apple, will gladly welcome all these people.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Then the pilots can no longer use their iPads with their books on the aircraft policies that the companies give them. This will never happen.

For years pilots lugged their Jeppesen chart cases with them. They were full of approach plates, sectionals, area, and route maps. Ipads are a recent thing, and a lot of pilots still keep paper charts as a backup. Aviation is all about backups of backups.

And I bet every airliners or other part 121 aircraft has a printed company Op Spec tucked away somewhere.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Wake me up when the CPSC report comes in. For sure they are all over this investigating, since they sanctioned the replacements. Until then continue on with all the guessing and what-ifs...

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Not complete. The original source of ignition was a short in an electrical circuit in the entertainment system that sparked a minor fire. This should not have causes the material to burn, but it did because of the materials. Same could be said a phone (or any other ignition source) in a seat back, briefcase, or luggage that started to burn. An in-air fire is one the worse nightmare for every pilot I know. It is the reason why when you are trained as a pilot they teach you to never reset a circuit breaker more than once.
Big difference between a fire originating above the cockpit and a potential fire in the passenger cabin. Plus this airline fire was 18 years ago and those materials are no longer used and should have never been used to begin with.

Again, a phone isn't going to bring down a plane.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The tragic Florida fire was due to illegal storage of a shipment of oxygen tanks. They were not secured on the flight and should not have been on it in the first place.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Wake me up when the CPSC report comes in. For sure they are all over this investigating, since they sanctioned the replacements. Until then continue on with all the guessing and what-ifs...

Saw one article this morning that stated they could release their findings as early as next week. I'm sure they want to get to the bottom of it quickly to determine if it's a wide spread issue or an isolated one. Only thing that sucks is even if they announce it was an isolated issue (or perhaps it was a recalled unit) it will still have the stigma with uninformed people. Mine has been great (as was my recalled unit), unless there is another recall I'm hanging onto this bad boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair