Love the N7 Fires on Replacements Probably the Last Straw - What am I giving up moving to S7 edge?

Longhorngary

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I realize I'm giving up all the S pen feature but I use it probably once every week or two, mainly just for jotting things down and screen write. Does the S7 Edge have a screen capture that also allows you to write with a finger?

Is the fingerprint scanner the same on the S7Edge because my old Note 4 scanner was worthless but I like the N7 version?

The S7 Edge appears to have more of an edge screen, this actually seems like it would be more useful for viewing from the side.

Is the touch wiz the same on the two models?

Thanks for anyone that answers that has experience with both.

yankees2287

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Im with you on this, i dont want to move away from the note but with it being banned everywhere im leaning more towards giving it up

Longhorngary

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I've had a Note 2 and most recently a Note 4, I thought I'd always be a Note user. I was already limping along with my old N4 as the gps didn't work and had various other problems. I can't go back to it for another year waiting for the Note 8. I guess I'm regulated to the s7 Edge as I won't go iphone 7.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I came from the S7e to the Note 7. They have different versions of Touch Wiz, with the Note 7 having a faster, cleaner layout particularly noticeable in the notification tray. Supposedly the S7/edge will be updated to the same version later, but who knows if it's true or when.

The S7e also has a much larger curve than the Note 7; while it looks cooler it also hinders it because of accidental touches from holding it in your hand. This can be somewhat remedied by using a case though. It should also be noted that even though the S7e has a bigger curve both it and the Note 7 have the exact same edge software features.

The only other obvious differences are that the S7e has 32GB of internal as opposed to the Note 7's 64GB, and S7e doesn't have a retina scanner (which I personally love). As far as I know they have the same fingerprint scanner, which is decent but not as good as what most other Android phones have.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm also in the same boat as you. I'm kind of fed up with Samsung's nonsense. Since the Pixels are a Verizon exclusive and I'm on T-Mobile, I'll probably end up switching to the V20.

tntiger

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Im with you on this, i dont want to move away from the note but with it being banned everywhere im leaning more towards giving it up

Where is it banned? I've heard that airlines are making announcements about having them turned off before boarding the plane but haven't heard anything about an outright ban.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm also in the same boat as you. I'm kind of fed up with Samsung's nonsense. Since the Pixels are a Verizon exclusive and I'm on T-Mobile, I'll probably end up switching to the V20.

You can get one through the Google Store. You don't want a carrier branded Google phone anyway. Not for that price.

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
We just switched from Verizon to at&t since my fiance gets a work discount. I had a LG V10 and there are a lot of things I miss about that phone. I mainly switched because after the update the battery life was garbage. Before the update I could not brag enough about that phone. Just got the n7 last Friday. Love the tons of options and the s pen but still miss my v10. Boy if I could combine the 2.... it would be perfection!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well crap, that's not good. Honestly, I'm more worried about airlines and others places banning Note 7's altogether than I am about fires but people shouldn't have to worry about their phone catching fire.
I've already asked the FAA to consider turning all phones off during flight, as they all have this risk. It used to be this way, time to go back to it.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Already 3 iPhones blown up too. Might want to skip that also lol.

Surprised BGR is posting this.

iPhone 6s battery explosion and fire leaves owners with burns | BGR
That is true. If the report is true, one out of millions of new note 7 phones have had the issue. I'll wait till the number is a lot higher, after all, it can happen and does happen to all phones out there. The only reason the note 7 is known is because of the huge recall and media reporting every phone fire as a note 7 or referencing a note 7 if its a difference phone.

I am keeping the note 7 untill it starts happening numerous times, as of now it's within acceptable range with other manufacturers.

We all know heat is bad for batteries, so keeping them in your pocket not such a good idea, but yet everyone is ok with creating an enviroment of high risk. I use a pouch that loops my pants, not right against my body creating heat with the heat trapped.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
S7e: smaller screen, less storage, extreme edges, GG4, no stylus, no iris scanner, no USB-C, older software (e.g.: always-on screen lacks write-on-screen and custom-image).